Author Topic: Choke Tubes  (Read 6664 times)

SureShot

• Forum Member
  • Proud NRA & TSRA Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Choke Tubes
« on: December 19, 2010, 08:28:42 AM »
Hay guys,
Need your vast knowledge again. I’m new to the world of shotguns, and I just bought a Mossberg 500 in 12ga came with an 18 ½ and a 28 in. barrel. I’ve been watching the shooting shows and reading all I can about shotguns and its ammo. I pretty much got the defensive side figured out (or I think I do) but have some questions on the hunting side. What shot size to use on what game, and chokes? I would be using it mainly for small game (rabbits, squirrel) and pest control (raccoons, skunks, armadillos), and maybe some larger game like deer and hogs.  Can I shot all rounds in all chokes? Like buckshot or slugs with a turkey choke tube? And will a choke tube add length to the barrel? I know I’m asking a lot of questions, but I know I can get answers to these questions here.

Thanks and stay safe.

Paul
Proud NRA, TSRA and GRRN member

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
Re: Choke Tubes
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 09:05:55 AM »
Depends on several factors when hunting.. and clay shooting.
I use 71/2 shot and 8 shot  for dove and quail. Generally I use Improved.. sometimes a Modified. Like I say.. it depends.

Same when I shoot clays .. although use AA's when I shoot sporting clays in competitions..
 I have Browning's easy screw in and out (use your fingers) choke tubes. They DO stick out a little from your barrel, but for easy changing .. they are the best. Kinda pricey, but you only need to buy them once.  :)

Rabbits and squirrels I NEVER EVER use a shotgun.. I hunt these critters with a 22 rifle . I don't want to have to clean shot out of the meat..and a 22 bullet through the head doesn't waste any of the meat.
Pest control.. I would use 8 shot heavy load. ( I personally generally grab my handguns for these types of critters)

Deer and hogs? don't know about the hogs.. ( Haz can tell you on that one)  but you need a high powered rifle for deer. You don't have the reach you need in a shotgun or the knock down. ( you would just pepper him with buckshot.. and not a good idea on any large game) 

I'm sure others might do things different or have different opinions.. But this is what I do..
 ;D
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 09:07:14 AM »
Ok, a long question, so forgive a long answer.
First, a good gun. A Mossy ain't pretty, but it wil do the job and the tubes are reasonably priced. (Plus, the safety is on top where it belongs). ;)
As to hunting:
Here's the general rule of thumb:
Dove and quail, you want improved cylinder and either #8s or #71/2s. I'd go with #8s as they are dirt cheap if you buy by the case at a big box like Gander or Bass Pro, and yes you will burn through a case speedy quick during dove season or shooting some skeet to practice, so buy a couple. ;D
As far as small game, like rabbits, I use a modified cylinder and high brass #6. If you have to use steel due to local restrictions use #4s.
Ducks, where steel is required, go with high brass 3" #2. Its over kill, but steel is light and ducks take some putting down. Lighter shot means lost birds, particularly if you hunt in marshes. If you are oozing money and use Bismuth shot, #4s will do just fine. Again, modified is the way to go.
Turkeys and geese. I use BB, although folks swear by T shot for turkeys. I haven't shot one in years, as turkey hunting is up there with ice fishing on my list of things I want to do in the woods. I mean getting up at O dark thirty to sit in the woods swatting bugs to bushwack a bird I can buy a Publix for $12 isn't my thing. You're on your own here.
As for deer and hogs? I've never used buck shot. I prefer a slug as I just don't trust the shot for a clean kill. For slugs, you want either cylinder bore or a rifled tube. I have limited experience here as I use a rifle or bow if I can. I have killed a couple of hogs with a NE Arms single shot in cylinder using slugs, but others living in shotgun states will give better answers.
Good luck
FQ13

SureShot

• Forum Member
  • Proud NRA & TSRA Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 06:05:53 AM »
Thanks guys and gals, that's a big help.

mtpockets

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 03:39:08 PM »
I recently purchased some 3 inch #4 buckshot for coyotes, patterned it last weekend and I like it.  Cylinder bore out of a 20 inch barrel was very spread out, but 26 inch full choke was great.  41 pellets, the guy recommending them called it a death net!

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:24:02 AM »

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 01:25:05 AM »
I’m new to the world of shotguns, and I just bought a Mossberg 500 in 12ga came with an 18 ½ and a 28 in. barrel.
Can I shot all rounds in all chokes? Like buckshot or slugs with a turkey choke tube? And will a choke tube add length to the barrel? I know I’m asking a lot of questions, but I know I can get answers to these questions here.

Your Mossy 28"er came with tubes? Mine was a fixed modified tube. (Not that I ever use it, my Mossy has had the 18" barrel on it since I bought it.)  I have other shotguns for clay games and game. DON'T shoot slugs out of a tight choke tube. They will stress the threads too much.
My shot size picks pretty much mirror the others - tight tubes with heavier shot for larger critters. Light shot and more open tubes for smaller game.

Forget buckshot for large game - use slugs if you are forced to by law. Otherwise get a rifle. 
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk