Author Topic: Stoeger 2000 question..  (Read 13457 times)

santahog

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stoeger 2000 question..
« on: November 05, 2011, 11:22:48 AM »
I watched a thing on Guns & Ammo reviewing the Stoeger 3500.
I'm not looking at that one, but the 2000. The impression I got from the review was that it was a good bird gun. The guy didn't touch on Buck Shot or Slug. I know that the action is basically a Benelli but the barrel isn't treated the same as the Benelli.
Can anyone tell me either way, if the Stoeger 2000 barrel is safe to run Buck, and/or Slugs through, consistantly, please?
Thank you all..
Joe
With friends like these, who needs hallucinations!..

r_w

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Stoeger 2000 question..
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 12:05:06 PM »
Got two-one for each of my boys.  Someone had a sale on a combo turkey and duck gun.  It included 21 & 26 barrels and both regular and pistol grip stocks.  Wish I would have gotten several more at that price.

They work IF you break them in right.  They need a couple boxes of full power mag loads before you try to run target loads.

"Why are you carrying a pistol?  Expecting trouble?"

"No Maam.  If I was expecting trouble, I'd have a rifle."

Timothy

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 12:43:46 PM »
It's designed as a bird gun.  Before you take the word of anyone here, talk to Benelli or Stoeger about slugs and buck shot. 

r_w

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 03:30:18 PM »
Last I looked, there were minimal differences between the hunting and tactical versions.  The turkey barrel takes screw in chokes, the tactical doesn't.
"Why are you carrying a pistol?  Expecting trouble?"

"No Maam.  If I was expecting trouble, I'd have a rifle."

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 03:40:41 PM »
The choke tubes are the sticking point for me. I know nothing about them. With barrels, you want either cylinder or improved cylinder for buck or Foster slugs. Sabot slugs you want a rifled bore, but that will totally screw up a shot pattern. I have no idea what, if any, efect shooting buck or slugs out of a choke tubed barrel will have. ???
FQ13 who says it sounds like you got a deal RW. I've shot their coach guns and liked them, and they have a new upland SxS that looks nice. I look forward to some feed back on the two you bought.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:58:45 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 03:46:58 PM »
The choke tubes are the sticking point for me. I know nothing about them. With barrels, you want either cylinder or improved cylinder for buck or Foster slugs. Sabot slugs you want a rifled bore, but that will totally screw up a shot pattern. I have no idea what, if any, efect shooting buck or slugs out of a choke tubed barrel will have. ???
FQ13 who says it sounds like you got a deal RW. I've shot their coach guns and liked them, and they have a new upland SxS that looks nice. I look forward to some feed back on the two you bought.

Shooting slugs through screw in choke tubes can blow the tubes out of the barrel, ruining the threads.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 04:07:36 PM »
So what do the guys shooting 3 gun use? ???  They have strings that have slug only engagement and the rest are shot.
He who dares wins.  SAS

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 04:37:14 PM »

You can shoot slugs out of a choke tubed barrel as long as it is a cylinder choke - absolutely no restriction!  Any choking will cause the slug to take the tube out with it.  The same has been seen in rifled choke tubes - The attempt to start to spin a slug that has had the chance to reach max velocity can take the tube out*.

*I had the opportunity to remove a rifled choke tube for a friend that couldn't get it out.  The force applied to the tube during shooting had spun it so tight that I mounted a second vise to the bench, clamped the receiver in one and the barrel near the muzzle end in the other, and I used a 24" pipe wrench on the knurled end of the tube  :o
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 12:07:57 PM »
I shoot Federal Tactical reduced recoil or Fiocchi Aero slugs out of my 21" Benelli M1S90 with a Light Modified extended Briley choke tube...I milled in a 10/22 flip up rear sight, and HiViz FlashPoint triangular fiber optic front.... will shoot about 3" at 50yds (I can't see any better than that)...made an A shot on a bobber at 60y at Ft Benning last year.... 22 slugs in the house clearing without a problem...check to see that your choke tubes are tight (I Loctite mine)

youtube...ft benning 3gun 2010
stage 3 ...22slugs
stage 8 bobber shots

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 12:43:05 PM »
I shoot Federal Tactical reduced recoil or Fiocchi Aero slugs out of my 21" Benelli M1S90 with a Light Modified extended Briley choke tube...I milled in a 10/22 flip up rear sight, and HiViz FlashPoint triangular fiber optic front.... will shoot about 3" at 50yds (I can't see any better than that)...made an A shot on a bobber at 60y at Ft Benning last year.... 22 slugs in the house clearing without a problem...check to see that your choke tubes are tight (I Loctite mine)

youtube...ft benning 3gun 2010
stage 3 ...22slugs
stage 8 bobber shots

Is this the video you mentioned?

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk