Author Topic: Why should I not do this...  (Read 14916 times)

ronlarimer

• Very Active Forum Member
    • Balloon Goes Up
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Why should I not do this...
« on: November 29, 2011, 09:41:42 AM »
I have a 7rd 870 Express that works fine, I just don't like handling it and I am over the all black tactical thing, so I have decided to give it a face lift.

I have already stripped the receiver, I plan on polishing it, adding some wood stocks, gold front bead, plating the trigger and maybe some jeweling, metal follower, larger safety, maybe some porting, fitting choke tubes et cetera.

The goal in the end is to have a very functional SD gun, that looks like a field gun.

I am struggling with how I want to handle the bluing though.  I think I would like to do heat bluing with oil quenching, but I don't know if it would hurt the receiver and I can't find anyone else that has done it. (I think that may be a red flag).

Are there any gun smiths that can tell me if and why this would be a bad plan?
Ron

We do not get to pick when the balloon goes up, only how well prepared we are to deal with it.
Balloon Goes Up

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Why should I not do this...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 10:43:52 AM »
You should do this, sounds very interesting!  Pics must be posted when complete.  Did a quick check on YouTube, looks like Larry Potterfield and Midway USA have just about everything you need for Bluing.  Larry actually is in some of the How to videos in regards to bluing.  As for the receiver question, I am not qualified to answer sadly but am working on fixing that.
Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 12:04:39 PM »
I think you should do it as well. I mean hell, its only an 870, its not like you're doing this to an LC Smith or something. If it turns out ugly, well, it was ugly to start with. It will still shoot great and you will have learned something (and us as well by extension). On the other hand, it might look pretty sweet. I say go for it.
FQ13

Timothy

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 12:08:07 PM »
I have a 42 year old Wingmaster that takes offense to being called ugly!    >:(

It's polished receiver and barrel, American Walnut lumber and care makes it quite a lovely little gun!  Certainly not an English double by any means but for this poor old mick, it's quite sufficient.

It also serves to protect me in a pinch....

;)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 12:17:56 PM »
I have a 42 year old Wingmaster that takes offense to being called ugly!    >:(

It's polished receiver and barrel, American Walnut lumber and care makes it quite a lovely little gun!  Certainly not an English double by any means but for this poor old mick, it's quite sufficient.

It also serves to protect me in a pinch....

;)
i used to own one in 16 gauge. They are a stock  pump gun. They are many things, but pretty ain't one of them. Settle for "a damn fine tool" and I'm there with you.
FQ13

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:06:38 AM »

Timothy

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 12:27:36 PM »
i used to own one in 16 gauge. They are a stock  pump gun. They are many things, but pretty ain't one of them. Settle for "a damn fine tool" and I'm there with you.
FQ13

The new 870's are junk compared to the early ones!  My daughter has one and it has no character.  I looked at a Browning upland pump gun recently and it was crap as well!  Made in Japan, poor fitting stock, etc...

Anyway, I don't like plastic stocks on anything.  Can't even convince myself to buy a plastic handgun yet.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 12:31:35 PM »
Beauty is in the eye of the........well, you know...   :D

I gotta go with Tim.....I've seen some right purty pump guns. A box-perfect Wingmaster or Ithaca 37 is a sight to see, in my eyes. My best friend has a Winchester Model 12 (with US property markings) that survived its military duty unscathed (probably sat out the war in an armory before being 'procured' and relegated to closet duty for decades) and looks practically new. It's one beautiful gun to me.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 01:17:35 PM »
Mr. Potterfield seems to be pretty knowledgable on things gunsmithing so you might try contacting him and ask your question about hurting the receiver.  I talked to him at the NRA convention and he was quite nice to talk to.

FWIW

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 02:27:48 PM »
if you want to fire blue the receiver I would call Turnbull restorations and see what they would charge . They are the best out there and would know if it was possible or practical.

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/store.asp?pid=20180&catid=19872

"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

ronlarimer

• Very Active Forum Member
    • Balloon Goes Up
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 09:51:42 PM »
Alright, I have attached 3 photos one is the before, a completely serviceable 870, one is it in pieces and the last is with a polished barrel and mag tube(s).

When I got started I decided to remove the finish with sanding and it didn't go so well to I decided to use a chemical stripper.  Aircraft stripper did nothing in 30 mins.  Brake cleaner did nothing.  Acidic tile cleaner made the finish VANISH!  It bubbled up and it was just gone.

As the parts sit now I went through 80, 120, 180, 320 and 400 grit sandpapers and then I hit is with 0000 steel wool. It looks good enough, not a show gun, but that's not the point.

I called Turnbull Mfg and I was very impressed.  They didn't want to tell me how to do it, but they did point out a few things to consider.  The guy I spoke to mentioned that they had done this process a "couple" of times and agreed that with the relatively low pressures there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

I think my plan is to blue the receiver and the barrel in such a way as it looks like it was caused by the heat of the gun firing.  I am going to do the mag tube to look like it was done with radiant heat from the barrel.  If it is too much I am going to cold blue over it.

That's the plan.
Ron

We do not get to pick when the balloon goes up, only how well prepared we are to deal with it.
Balloon Goes Up

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk