Author Topic: Saiga  (Read 7054 times)

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Saiga
« on: January 01, 2012, 10:09:09 PM »
Met with some friends for some end of the year "trigger therapy". My buddy picked up a Saiga and had several 20 round mags. Fellas, I absolutely loved the accuracy of that shotgun. I was bouncing three cans down range like I was golfing. Too much fun. Had a rear sight and front bead. Did have one FTE, but I believe that is due to the shotgun being new and not lubricated properly? 

If I ever have the funds to get another shotgun, I will definitely be picking up a Saiga.

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Saiga
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 01:25:45 AM »
I am going to wait and see how the Akdal M1919 shotguns turn out.  They look like an AR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pg7RHdAF8M&feature=fvst

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 09:58:49 PM »
Looks like that big guy had some issues with recoil. One thing that I really did not notice with a Saiga. Maybe it was the type of ammo he was shooting? The Saiga I was able to fire was using buckshot and I was able to follow up the shots with ease as if I were shooting a rifle. Maybe due to the recoil pad on the stock? Did not see much of one on the Akdal M1919. I would love to put a few magazines through it though.  :)

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 11:10:51 PM »
Looks like that big guy had some issues with recoil. One thing that I really did not notice with a Saiga. Maybe it was the type of ammo he was shooting? The Saiga I was able to fire was using buckshot and I was able to follow up the shots with ease as if I were shooting a rifle. Maybe due to the recoil pad on the stock? Did not see much of one on the Akdal M1919. I would love to put a few magazines through it though.  :)

3 Inch magnums are what he was shooting.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 09:43:45 AM »
First did you see the flinch with the safety on?  Second, it made me think that I would want different controls from an AR for that reason, if your subconcious thinks you're shooting a .223 round and you pull the bang switch on a 12 guage you may not like the results.  And the inverse would be true too.

FWIW I have never owned anything but pump shotguns and have no point of reference when it comes to autos/
He who dares wins.  SAS

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:37:28 AM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 10:53:28 AM »
Noticed the flinch and I noticed the "problems" he had reloading.  I know it is nit picking, but having loaded a few magazines into various weapons, I tend to automatically carry them where they will be accessible to the hand that will be retrieving them.

I own a Saiga 12 and have only two complaints. 

1.  The safety is cumbersome to operate

2.  A full magazine cannot be inserted with the bolt closed. Not a major concern but it means if you want to have it ready without a round in the chamber, you will have to keep the bolt open or the magazine not inserted.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 09:54:49 PM »
I own a Saiga 12 and have only two complaints. 

1.  The safety is cumbersome to operate

2.  A full magazine cannot be inserted with the bolt closed. Not a major concern but it means if you want to have it ready without a round in the chamber, you will have to keep the bolt open or the magazine not inserted.

I haven't handled one and didn't know this. You can't even load a mag one round short of full to give the spring some room?
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 09:57:13 AM »
I haven't handled one and didn't know this. You can't even load a mag one round short of full to give the spring some room?

I've not tried it....give me a few mins and I'll let you know.

You can, but it is pretty clumsy and takes some force.

As a matter of fact, it was so hard that I thought after I managed it that I might have just given up with the full mag, so I tried it again as was able to load it.

You have to put the leading edge of the map in first and get a lip on the leading edge under the frame...then you have to push the mag release lever and then you can rotate the magazine into place with enough force.  It can be done, but it sure won't be as slick as any rifle magazine I've used....I've never fired an AK, so I don't know if they are the same.

These are 3rd party mags.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

capbyrd

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 04:29:24 PM »

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 05:54:45 PM »
Nice link capbyrd!!!  :o I liked that first Saiga posted with the drum magazine and the barrel end. That could be alot of fun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk