Author Topic: Shotgun for wife (5') and me (6')  (Read 16732 times)

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shotgun for wife (5') and me (6')
« on: February 09, 2012, 12:53:02 PM »
I'm planning to get a 12 ga shotgun for home defense, my first real firearm. A friend suggested a Remington 870 with the Knoxx stock (see below), so it could be adjusted to fit both my wife and I. Is this a good choice? I like the idea of the adjustable stock to get a decent pull length for each of us. However, I also have heard complaints that the design of the stock is faulty and when the gun is fired, the stock can strike one's cheek bone in a painful way.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/tactical/shotguns/model-870-express-tactical-blackhawk.aspx

Another issue is where can I get one of these guns at less than MSRP? They seem to be sold out everywhere (online anyway). I could buy a different configuration and then find the Knoxx stock alone. For instance, I could start with the 870 Express Tactical, which are more easily found online. I like that door breaching tool, too.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-tactical.aspx

Thanks folks!

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Shotgun for wife (5') and me (6')
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 12:58:15 PM »
Or maybe I should forget about a traditional design and get a Kel Tec KSG instead. Hehe.

Timothy

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 12:59:45 PM »
Most guns can be had from 15% to 20% or more below the MSRP.  I've never paid retail MSRP for anything!

Beware of Bass Pro though, they tend to be higher and have their monthly sales that bring the guns down to what others are charging.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 01:03:51 PM »
The Knoxx stock is a great choice for the 870.  Not only will it give a larger range for length of pull, but it will significantly reduce felt recoil which will also benefit both you and your wife.

And yes, you can pick up an 870 with a standard stock and purchase the Knoxx stock separately and install it. (I have done this and it should be no problem if you can use a screwdriver...but it does take a long one).

You might want to consider the Knoxx Cheek Piece which might offer more comfort/usability than the plain Knoxx stock.  It also holds 5 shells if you wish to use them.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/PowerPak-Modular-Cheek-Piece,212,165.htm

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 01:37:03 PM »
Check out Bud's Guns online for just about the lowest pricing.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:52:22 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 02:06:33 PM »
Remember that if you go with the Knoxx stock that you should store it in the short position for your wife.  That way it is always usable for both of you in a hurry.  You can always lengthen if you have time, but it is possible for you to shoot with it short.  She can not shoot it if it is long.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 02:30:50 PM »
Remember that if you go with the Knoxx stock that you should store it in the short position for your wife.  That way it is always usable for both of you in a hurry.  You can always lengthen if you have time, but it is possible for you to shoot with it short.  She can not shoot it if it is long.

Thanks, I was wondering about that.

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 02:32:45 PM »
I was kind of half-joking about the Kel Tec. Would it make a good HD shotgun for us? I like that it is short for maneuverability inside a house, and you can switch between two tubes of ammo, storiing different kinds of shot in each tube.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/12/robert-farago/gun-review-kel-tec-ksg/

It might be weird to shoot skeet with it to practice use, though.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 02:52:49 PM »
Mossberg

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=3&display=specs

the model 55264 has an adjustable stock.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 02:58:56 PM »
When the KSG was first announced and there were some tests of it, I watched several videos of it in operation.

As the article you posted mentions, it seemed like everyone had problems getting the gun to operate without a stoppage.

From the reports I read at that time, part of the problems were because the trigger must be released before you pump the slide.  That is not the operation with which I am familiar.  I fire, rack the slide, release the trigger to reset point, and fire again. It just seem natural to me to use pumping the slide to help bring the muzzle back into position after recoil and to have to change my grip to do that seems counter-intuitive to me.   This was on the first prototype guns sent out for review and they may have changed the design since then.

Also, as the article said, short cycling can be a problem.  

Both of these problems can be over come with practice, particularly the short cycling.  

I do like the design and the functionality of the gun and would be interested if the design was more "traditional" with the trigger release and if the price were much more reasonable.

If you have no experience with a shotgun, you might not find the trigger release procedure to be a problem.  Find a 870 and dry cycle it both ways and see which you like...and see if the difference is a deal breaker for you.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk