Author Topic: Shotgun for wife (5') and me (6')  (Read 16732 times)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Shotgun for wife (5') and me (6')
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 03:04:57 PM »
Mossberg

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=3&display=specs

the model 55264 has an adjustable stock.

The 55264 has a pistol grip and tang safety.

I had a Mossberg 590 with a tang safety and the Knoxx stock installed.  I did not like the setup because I found the tang safety very cumbersome to access with a pistol grip stock.  Others here have the setup and don't seem to regard it as a deficiency...  what do they know?  ;D ;D
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 03:42:02 PM »
Your much better off to skip the Kel Tec and stick with a conventional pump or semi auto shot gun.
Nothing wrong with it per se, but you and your wife are just getting into guns, the KT seems to even give professionals problems, I would not want to learn on it. Secondly is the price issue, you can get a Maverick Arms (Mossberg made in Mexico ) for about a third the cost of the KT. Third issue is after market modifications, there aren't any for the KT.
As to the Knoxx recoil absorbing stocks, it recoils "funny" with the whole gun sliding to the rear instead of pushing you.
If recoil is that much of an issue go with a semi auto since cycling the action soaks up a bit of the kick. I would definitely get an "M-4" style telescoping stock, even if your wife never shoots it, it allows you to compensate for things like heavier winter clothing.

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 04:03:16 PM »
The Knoxx stock is a great choice for the 870.  Not only will it give a larger range for length of pull, but it will significantly reduce felt recoil which will also benefit both you and your wife.

And yes, you can pick up an 870 with a standard stock and purchase the Knoxx stock separately and install it. (I have done this and it should be no problem if you can use a screwdriver...but it does take a long one).

You might want to consider the Knoxx Cheek Piece which might offer more comfort/usability than the plain Knoxx stock.  It also holds 5 shells if you wish to use them.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/PowerPak-Modular-Cheek-Piece,212,165.htm

I like the looks of that thing and it is not very expensive.

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 04:04:14 PM »
Your much better off to skip the Kel Tec and stick with a conventional pump or semi auto shot gun.
Nothing wrong with it per se, but you and your wife are just getting into guns, the KT seems to even give professionals problems, I would not want to learn on it. Secondly is the price issue, you can get a Maverick Arms (Mossberg made in Mexico ) for about a third the cost of the KT. Third issue is after market modifications, there aren't any for the KT.
As to the Knoxx recoil absorbing stocks, it recoils "funny" with the whole gun sliding to the rear instead of pushing you.
If recoil is that much of an issue go with a semi auto since cycling the action soaks up a bit of the kick. I would definitely get an "M-4" style telescoping stock, even if your wife never shoots it, it allows you to compensate for things like heavier winter clothing.

The auto shotguns, at least the Remington ones, are expensive. I think I'll stick with the 870.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 04:15:53 PM »
A pump is the shotgun version of the revolver.  If it doesn't go bang the fix is relatively simple.  A semi-auto has a more complex manual of arms.

Most pump issues are just a matter of not completely cycling the pump - need to shove the forestock forward, or not cycling it at all.  Controls are simpler, and this shortens the needed amount of practice time.  My preferred guns are semi-auto, but I seem to have out grown women and moved to guns  ;)  I have more trigger time in a week than many have in six months or even a year.

Practice - Perfect Practice - is the key!  Know your gun, practice with it, and incorporate it in your plan.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:51:12 AM »

mkm

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 05:28:53 PM »
I don't have any personal experience with pistol grip shotguns, but I think there are some pros and cons to getting one.  For home defense, I think it's a good idea, especially with an adjustable stock.  However, it might impede part of your planned training, specifically the skeet shooting.  Someone with more experience please speak up if you have experience shooting skeet with a pistol grip.  That doesn't mean you can't get quality practice with other methods.  As to the the shotgun itself, keep it simple and practice.

Has anyone actually seen a KelTec for sale in person?  KelTec tends to have some issues on getting their products to the stores, in my experience.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 06:53:33 PM »
I like Knoxx, but didn't want to wait for one as my area was not stocking them...BUT,....I did pick up an ATI adj. stock for my 870 and when fully retracted, is shorter than my double barrel coach gun.

Just took a screwdriver. I would also consider replacing the fwd. clamp with a rail-clamp. I got mine Mesa Tactical.

Link here.

http://www.nokick.com/Mesa_Tactical_Barrel_Clamp_with_Rail_for_Rem_870_p/mesa%20tactical%2090700.htm

CDNN, Midway, brownells, all sell some variation..

But it's for my Streamlight. which light the crap out of a room...and it also has a quick release and comes off in a second.

I love my 870,. with Winchester reduced recoil 00Buck, 9 and 21 pellet for HD...

Shop around for the right price.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 07:11:51 PM »
Well, kind a nit pick here, but I think I like the features on one Remington config over another:

I like this one better (rail, door breacher)... and would seperately add the Knoxx stock
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-tactical.aspx

Or I could get this, which comes with the Knoxx stock but no rail or breacher...
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/tactical/shotguns/model-870-express-tactical-blackhawk.aspx

Am I thinking about this correctly?

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 07:23:04 PM »
Those look like good platforms.  Both have an extended magazine which you would want.

I wouldn't worry to much about the breacher...not likely you will need to blast the locks in a home defense situation.

The ghost rings would be nice to have.

There is an attachment for the 870, it straddles the top of the receiver using replacement pins to secure it.  It has a "side saddle" shell holder, 6 rounds I believe, and comes with a longer top rail than on the pictured 870.  

Second picture down on left, second down on right mounted at this link.

http://www.mesatactical.com/index.php?id=56

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 07:33:39 PM »
I built up an 870 Knoxx stock with the cheek piece.  I built it as a camp shotgun for guys size 5'5"-6'6"  I would make sure you order the second gen version check lapolicegear.com cheaperthandirt.com uscav.com and maybe ebay.com
I have a dedicated Surefire forend I'm using
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk