Author Topic: Shotgun for wife (5') and me (6')  (Read 16737 times)

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Shotgun for wife (5') and me (6')
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 07:40:58 PM »
I built up an 870 Knoxx stock with the cheek piece.  I built it as a camp shotgun for guys size 5'5"-6'6"  I would make sure you order the second gen version check lapolicegear.com cheaperthandirt.com uscav.com and maybe ebay.com
I have a dedicated Surefire forend I'm using

Why do you suggest the spec op version (the second one)?

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 07:52:44 PM »
The second version you comes with the sling attachment (I had to add a GG&G for the single point)  the second has a seven position vs the 5 position that mine has.  Thicker Limbsaver buttpad and you can customize the grips.
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

Dakotaranger

• Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 07:53:21 PM »
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 08:17:58 PM »
I'm planning to get a 12 ga shotgun for home defense, my first real firearm. A friend suggested a Remington 870 with the Knoxx stock (see below), so it could be adjusted to fit both my wife and I. Is this a good choice? I like the idea of the adjustable stock to get a decent pull length for each of us. However, I also have heard complaints that the design of the stock is faulty and when the gun is fired, the stock can strike one's cheek bone in a painful way.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/tactical/shotguns/model-870-express-tactical-blackhawk.aspx

Another issue is where can I get one of these guns at less than MSRP? They seem to be sold out everywhere (online anyway). I could buy a different configuration and then find the Knoxx stock alone. For instance, I could start with the 870 Express Tactical, which are more easily found online. I like that door breaching tool, too.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-tactical.aspx

Thanks folks!

As much fun as tricking any gun out is - and I enjoy it as much as the next man - everyone here is missing the point.

Two is one, one is none.

One gun is a risk. Buy 2, one for each of you so you can both help defend yourselves and each other, and your home. Besides, you could buy 2 different shotties and have the fun of trying them out with each other.

Agreed with the Practice Practice Practice mantra though.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

tombogan03884

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 08:20:44 PM »
As much fun as tricking any gun out is - and I enjoy it as much as the next man - everyone here is missing the point.

Two is one, one is none.

One gun is a risk. Buy 2, one for each of you so you can both help defend yourselves and each other, and your home. Besides, you could buy 2 different shotties and have the fun of trying them out with each other.

Good point, Machines break, usually at the worst possible moment.
And the batteries in your flashlight will only be dead when you lose electricity at night.  ;D
Murphy was an optimist !

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 12:13:40 PM »

Dakotaranger

• Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 08:30:29 PM »

Two is one, one is none.

Ditto

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 08:54:04 PM »
I would like to get two, but can't afford two right now. With the gun purchase I also need a safe, so there is that expense, too. Actually, I've got a longer term plan that involves multiple weapons and safes.

The plan is to have a safe/secure room on each level of the house. That way we could have more than one possible destination depending on circumstances. Within each room would be a gun safe, with one or more fireamrs in it.

So the initial investment is a single shotgun and one safe, and then secure one room with an autolocking keypad door.

I am considering the Sentry Safe Home Defense Center for a quick-access safe. We have two kids, so I'm not leaving the guns out in the open.

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 09:24:32 PM »
I could get two H&R Pardner Pump Protectors, and accessorize, for probably less than one 870 tactical with the knoxx stock.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 05:12:18 PM »
as commented before, if the shotgun fits her, you also can shoot it....a wooden butt stock can be shortened dramatically, and a recoil reducing sorbothane recoil pad installed by a talented amateur....if you can find a factory 21inch slug barrel (after all you will be shooting it like a rifle anyway in a home defense situation).....you get good sights and factory threaded choke tube.... don't add a magazine extension until she has a chance to shoot it as the fore end weight might be a concern....if you add a side saddle for extra shells, be sure to not over tighten the screws.... no reason to install a sling, they just get in the way for home defense.... remember that with a field grade shotgun the stock comb slopes downward, so the force of the recoil drives back into your cheek bone... if you could find a trap or skeet stock profile with the comb higher, it would be easier for her to learn without the pain...there are a lot of used 870's on the market... look for one of the slug guns with high profile sights or turkey guns with a vent rib from the factory... good luck....the youth model stocks are shorter

tombogan03884

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 06:56:53 PM »
I could get two H&R Pardner Pump Protectors, and accessorize, for probably less than one 870 tactical with the knoxx stock.

Before you commit to that be sure that any after market items you may want are made in a version that fits it.
I know the Knoxx stock only fits Remington, Mossberg, and some Winchester pumps.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk