Author Topic: Rear sight for home defense shotgun?  (Read 17805 times)

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rear sight for home defense shotgun?
« on: January 03, 2014, 09:57:36 PM »
Sorry if this question has been asked a bunch of times. I don't see any existing threads discussing it, so here goes...

I have a modified mossberg 500 with a pistol grip and vertical forend grip. Its primary purpose is home defense, and I have bird shot handy as the load recommended in this forum.

In a defensive scenario, the maximum distance from shooter to target would be under 25 ft in any hallway or room.

It has the original front bead sight only. Is it worth having a rear sight, or something different like a red dot? Or should I just rely on the front bead sight?

Thanks!

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Rear sight for home defense shotgun?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 03:13:35 AM »
Is that stock pistol grip only or can you put it up to your shoulder too? 
If it's only a pistol grip, I'd get rid of it IMHO and get a proper full length stock or an adjustable.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 06:35:38 AM »
You can get a laser as well.  A BG seeing a red or green dot might be enough to get them out of the house, especially after hearing you rack your shotgun.  If scaring him/her out does not work, a laser is the best way to make an accurate shot IMHO.
Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 10:43:46 AM »
The shotgun has a Blackhawk stock and pistol grip, and UTC forend grip attached to a rail. There is room for a light or laser on the rail, too.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 01:16:11 PM »
My mossy 500 just has a bead. You can add set of sights-
http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/sights/sight-sets/shotgun-tactical-ghost-ring-sight-set-prod19562.aspx?avs|Make~~Model_1=Mossberg__500

Buy a barrel with sights-
http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/barrel-parts/barrels/barrel-24-rifle-sights-ported-blue-prod17374.aspx?avs|Make~~Model_1=Mossberg__500

Or as noted get a laser. I myself would spring for a white light if I didn't have the $$ for a light/laser combo.
http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/flashlights-accessories/gun-mounted-flashlights/tlr-1-weapon-light-prod24182.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/flashlights-accessories/gun-mounted-flashlights/tlr-2-weapon-light-laser-sight-prod27206.aspx

You still have to identify your target.
Go out and shoot some clay pigeons. If you can hit a clay moving 50 MPH, a torso at 25ft shouldn't be an issue.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:08:37 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 01:58:25 PM »
If you need a rear sight or laser at 8 Yards with a shotgun you should be more concerned with your blindness than with shotgun accessories.

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 10:27:08 AM »
If you need a rear sight or laser at 8 Yards with a shotgun you should be more concerned with your blindness than with shotgun accessories.

You may not have intended the message to be condescending but that is how it comes across.

I started this thread because of what I read this month in a magazine called Gun Tests. They reviewed two shotguns for home defense: Tristar Raptor A-TAC Home Defense and Remington 870P Police Magnum). The Tristar has front fiber-optic sight and a ghost ring in the rear. The Remington has a front sight and mid-barrel sight post.

They had a close-up picture of the Tristar sights and have a quote in bold which says, "At close range the shotgun must be aimed carefully as a rifle. The A-TAC's sights made aiming closely possible. The front post with red-fiber is a great addition to a combat shotgun. The sights of the A-TAC are superior overall to the Remington, in our opinion." Later they say, "In firing tests at combat ranges of 7 to 15 yards, the A-TAC came on target more quickly and hits were surer..."

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1112
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 12:38:43 PM »
I had a Williams peep sight and rifle style front sight installed before the ghost ring became really popular. It has a screw in aperture that I removed so it's now like a ghost ring. If I did it all over now I would get the XS ghost ring and tritium front sight.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 12:41:56 PM »
Tstand, the purpose of most so-called "tests" in most so-called "gun mags"is to sell some sort of product. 

The product may be useful or it may be useless--but someone makes it and wants you buy it.  And they have convinced a reviewer to write something about it.

When Tom suggested you should be more concerned with your poor eyesight if you can't hit something at 8 yards with a 12Ga., he wasn't being condescending.  He was (IMHO) giving you the benefit of his decades of experience--without trying to take any of your money for a product you don't need.

I have had the pleasure (joy, really) of reading Tom's posts when he IS being condescending.  He is very good at it and it can be quite entertaining.  But, I can assure you this was not one of those times.

You are still fairly new to this particular group of gun nuts, but when you ask a question here, you will get honest answers from many points of view.  What they have in common is that none attempt to sell you anything.

But, if you get your panties in a bunch every you think you might have been insulted here, you are going to spend an awful lot of time dislodging panties.  And that, my friend, takes a lot of the joy out of sharing your thoughts.

And, FWIW, I have a similar set-up to yours with my 870--no pistol grip, but no rear site, either.  I did add a tactical fore-end with a rail mounted white light and I added a mag extension, too--just in case I missed that first close-up shot, I wanted another half-dozen to convince the bad guy he was in the wrong house.  Inexpensive additions that I think would serve you better than a rear site.

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1112
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 12:47:58 PM »
Gun tests is different CR. They accept NO commercial advertising from anyone. They aren't trying to sell you any particular gun. They just have honest tests.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk