Author Topic: Trap shotguns?  (Read 28330 times)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Trap shotguns?
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 02:31:58 PM »
I started shooting trap last month with my Beretta 686 Black Onxy set up for sporting clays.  Using modified choke and as long as I do my part the gun will take care of business.  Neat shotgun for dove also.

One of the guys is using an old Winchester Model 12 and is the only one busting 25.  Lot of more costly and fancy guns being used but the 12 is kicking butt.  Wish I could have found one before I bought the Beretta.

Remember...It's the Indian, not the arrow.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 02:33:42 PM »

never heard it that way before....but i like it... :D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »

So true Hazcat, but better tools help in performing a job.
DesertMarine

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 12:11:07 PM »
So true Hazcat, but better tools help in performing a job.

True, but as you try different sports you will find that you can go up in steps with equipment as you progress.  When I started bullseye I used my S&W 22a and winchester wildcat ammo.  Next I went to better ammo, and now I have switched to my Mark III.  I picked up my old 22a and wildcat and found that I am better than that combo, but I still have not improved enough to say my Ruger and midrange ammo is holding me back.

My philosophy (I'd ask for extra credit for use of a big word, but I'm not sure I spelled it right) is to reward my self for consistant success with new improved quality.  This keeps me in equipment better than me, but with rewards to come as I reach goals.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 07:26:36 PM »
True, but as you try different sports you will find that you can go up in steps with equipment as you progress.  When I started bullseye I used my S&W 22a and winchester wildcat ammo.  Next I went to better ammo, and now I have switched to my Mark III.  I picked up my old 22a and wildcat and found that I am better than that combo, but I still have not improved enough to say my Ruger and midrange ammo is holding me back.

My philosophy (I'd ask for extra credit for use of a big word, but I'm not sure I spelled it right) is to reward my self for consistant success with new improved quality.  This keeps me in equipment better than me, but with rewards to come as I reach goals.

Man, you sound like a school teacher............ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:44:06 AM »

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 09:44:33 PM »

I have done the same thing.  When I started shooting PPC, I started with a stock S&W 28.  Later I had a target front sight put on it.  Then I went to a S&W 14 with bull barrel and target sights.  Can't remember the name of the sights, wasn't a Bomar, but they had three adjustments which you could set for three ranges.  Progressed to Master with that pistol.  But we could not compete with the guys that had the support to get the super duper pistols and all the time and ammo that they wanted to practice.  We had to work and practice when we could.

Good equipment does help.  There is nothing wrong with your philosophy either.  I doubt that I will get too serious about trap and my Beretta will serve me very well.  Still would not mind having a Model 12.

DesertMarine

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 11:22:58 PM »
Man, you sound like a school teacher............ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Damn ... In the many hats I have worn over the years I have taught part time at vo-techs (several areas of EMS, firefighter and specialized rescue).  I hope I'm not this transparent in all areas, because there are some things I'm not too proud off ::)
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 07:58:51 PM »
Damn ... In the many hats I have worn over the years I have taught part time at vo-techs (several areas of EMS, firefighter and specialized rescue).  I hope I'm not this transparent in all areas, because there are some things I'm not too proud off ::)

Don't worry, we ALL have a skeleton or two (or at least some bones) in the closet we'd like to forget about.... ;D

bjtraz

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 08:39:17 PM »
I'm relatively new to trap, & soon to be skeet, but I picked up a Stoeger Condor from Bass Pro. I talked to several people knowledgeable at my range, and they felt that for the money, it wasn't a bad gun for a starter. You can get a 12 gauge, or 20 gauge for $350.00, or get a 12/20 gauge combo for $500.00. I also like the fact that it is extracter, as opposed to ejector. I'm getting too old to chase down the empties.  :o

Brian
NRA & NAHC Life Member, American Legion

hawkeye1

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 09:47:23 AM »
I have an 870 Trap and love it.  It has the most beautiful wood I have ever seen on a Remington shotgun.  Adjustable butt pad and fits like a glove.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk