Author Topic: Trap shotguns?  (Read 28332 times)

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Trap shotguns?
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 11:39:49 AM »
One of my friends that shoots trap with me has an 870, beautiful wood with a full choke.  First time out with it, had problems figuring out how it shoots, adjusting slowly but progressing. 

I am progressing with my Beretta 686 sporting clays, from a low of 13 to 23.  Tried out some yellow shooting glasses, non-prescription, large green fiber optic front bead and shot the 13.  Went back to regular prescription glasses and a smaller green fiber optic front bead and got a 23.  Last Sunday was my third trap shoot.  Having fun.
DesertMarine

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 08:18:11 AM »
Anyone looking for a new over/under should get to their local Friends of NRA banquet this year.  The gun of the year is a Weatherby o/u.  I have not had a chance to shoot the gun, but I did display it and box it up for the winner.  The gun handled great and shouldered perfect for me.  This lucky guy put up with the harassment of his wife while he bought a $10 ticket for a 1 in 300 chance for the Weatherby, a $50 ticket that came attached to a set of Caldwell electronic ear muffs for a 1 in 24 chance at a Kimber 1911, and a $20 ticket that came attached to a folding knife for a 1 in 50 chance at a S&W Chiefs Special. 

As I took his money for the Kimber I consoled his wife that that would be the cheapest gun he ever bought.  She just gave me the look that only a wife could give.  When his name was drawn I took the chance to deliver the paperwork to their table and just said "nice $50 gun!"  Once more the look.  When the last drawing of the night, the Weatherby, came up as the same guy I took the chance to deliver the paperwork again and rub in that I didn't want any lip from her next year.  She did however get a jab back as the 1099 was filled out later.

The best came when they were getting ready to leave.  His arms were full of a 1911, hearing protection, a print he bought on the live auction, a couple items they won on the bucket contests, and he asked her to carry the shotgun box.  She looked straight in my eyes and told him "you won it you carry it!"  He found a way to scoop it up, and on the way out the door she yelled back "see you next year."
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Conagher 45

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2012, 11:33:09 AM »
Yesterday I went to our local club and paid my yearly membership dues. Just happended to have my little 870 20 gauge that is really a skeet gun but I could not resist shooting a couple rounds of trap whit it. It has a straight grip and a 21" barrel with a modified choke tube. First round was a 17 and second round was a 20. Breakiing clay is a great way to ring in the new year. I hope everyone here at DRTV forums has a safe and wonderful New Year. 

Conagher
There is room for all of God's creatures ....., That would be on my plate right next to the taters and gravy.

tombogan03884

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2012, 04:15:08 PM »
Why would Skeet and Trap guns be any different ?
For that matter why would they be any different than your field gun ?
The only differences between the 3 have nothing to do with shooting moving targets.

Timothy

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2012, 04:36:11 PM »
Why would Skeet and Trap guns be any different ?
For that matter why would they be any different than your field gun ?
The only differences between the 3 have nothing to do with shooting moving targets.

I shoot both with a stock 870 Wingmaster with an IC barrel.  Not a problem for me.  I suppose if you want to complete, a dedicated gun would improve your hits but the weight of the gun and the correct comb, LOP has more bearing than anything I'd expect.

I once shot 78 with a 80 dollar set of golf clubs.  By the time I could afford better clubs, I couldn't break 85-90 anymore so I quit!

The moral is it's the guy pulling the trigger that's the variable, not the tool!

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 07:21:52 AM »

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 04:49:32 PM »
Oh...come on now Tom!

You know better than that!

We need you to buy at least two different preferably 3 different shotguns...one for trap...one for skeet...and one for the field.

I have been going pheasant, chukar, or quail hunting once a week since before Thanksgiving....maybe even before Halloween...I can't remember now.

These hunts have been on clubs where you pay to have the club workers or the owner of the club put out birds for you.  Or on state public land, again where we have paid to have birds put out.  At the state park, we can only harvest two pheasants...rooster...hen....doesn't matter.  I go mainly to get my dog experience on live birds.

We have been out there walking for a good 4 hours trying to "limit out".

So my point is....for the field where you do more walking than shooting, you want a lighter gun.  For trap or skeet, you want a heavier gun so that it absorbs the recoil of 25, 50, or 75 or more shots back to back and that the recoil doesn't beat you up.

Elsewhere on the forum, I posted a while back that I got a Weimaraner puppy.  So that got me more into training him and more into shotguns.  After my second round of skeet ever, I realized that I needed to see an optometrist ASAPly.  The doc saw me, and he came to the conclusion that I am actually left eye dominant.  The clay games are a little better for me now that I put a piece of scotch tape over the left lens.

Anywhooo....getting back to trap shotguns, the higher end ones with fancy combs, adjustable ribs, buttplates, etc.  that is just to make it easier to get a "sight picture".  I have heard some obscene numbers as far as the total shells some guys shoot in a year.  So the guns have to be built to last.

And well...there is a bit of fashion show and snobbery with it.  I am not too far from Sparta, IL where they hold the Grand every year.  When the Grand is going on, it is like Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.  RV's there that rock bands would travel in.  You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a $10,000 shotgun.

tombogan03884

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 05:52:41 PM »
I had not considered the difference in carrying vs shooting.
I see why the field gun would be different.

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2012, 06:37:55 PM »
I have a friend who shot Skeet before he got into CAS, He has a Perazzi that the wood on it was a $15,000 upgrade by itself
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2012, 07:42:09 PM »
I still have the pictures on my iPhone from when I stopped by the Perazzi booth at the Grand.  I specifically took pics of the price tags next to their engraved receivers.  One over under was $79,000.  Then there was another over under that had a 3 barrel or 4 barrel set, 12 gauge, 20 gauge, 28 gauge, and I guess .410 barrels too.  All for the grand total of $379,000.

The guys who won the shoot off at the Grand got checks for $100,000 .

It is a different lifestyle, that's for sure.

BAC

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2012, 08:00:30 PM »
I still have the pictures on my iPhone from when I stopped by the Perazzi booth at the Grand.  I specifically took pics of the price tags next to their engraved receivers.  One over under was $79,000.  Then there was another over under that had a 3 barrel or 4 barrel set, 12 gauge, 20 gauge, 28 gauge, and I guess .410 barrels too.  All for the grand total of $379,000.

The guys who won the shoot off at the Grand got checks for $100,000 .

It is a different lifestyle, that's for sure.

I saw the Grand on Wednesday night at the range last week (Shooting USA I think).  The winner of the shoot off was 13 years old.  Kid's got a future in shooting!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk