Author Topic: Great knife on Amazon deal of the day. Kershaw leek  (Read 3373 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
Re: Great knife on Amazon deal of the day. Kershaw leek
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 07:49:52 AM »
8 minutes of  ApostleP saying it's so bad he doesn't know how to put it into words, will be 8 minutes I'll never get back.  He is probably a real expert in knives, but not in how to communicate. Possibly the worst review ever.  In his defense, I'm like this when it comes to some handguns.  Look down my nose at certain makes and I just can't can't put into words how "really bad" they are.  But I didn't make an 8 minute video about it.

I'm not a "knife" guy, so I don't understand all about the bevel thing but mine is plenty sharp and I don't have a problem with the edge.   The coating was coming off is his only real complaints, which his only proof was he saw some black stuff on his cleaning cloth.     The CQC1 isn't really a working blade, more of gentleman's Sunday-go-to-meeting size.  I suspect the one he had had been used a lot.

I also read the comments and they're pretty much in the camp of, mine works just fine, and hey, it's $20 knife, made in China. so what do you expect.  I'm not saying this is a perfect knife.  It's an inexpensive cheap knife that gets the job done.  When it wears out, throw it away.   If you lose it  you don't cry over it for days.   I lost an Emerson 2 years ago and I'm still upset about it.

Also, neither OKC nor Cold Steel license the Emerson Wave.  Though they have nice knives at not bad prices.   I'm sold on the Wave feature.  And I favor the clip point.  Southergrind's Bad Monkey and Emerson's Sheepdog would be my choices.    In fact I may treat myself come my birthday.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1116
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 12:36:06 PM »
A knife with a narrow angle bevel cuts better than one with a wider angle, and is easier to sharpen. From what I've read, and heard from other people, it sounds like most of them sharpen their knives to about 20 degrees on each side (40 degree total angle). If it's already 20 degrees you can re-sharpen it at 20 degrees in a minute, give or take. But if it's been sharpened to 30-35 degrees each side (60-70 degree total angle, which is okay for an axe), you have to remove a lot of steel to get to the point where you can actually start to sharpen it at 20 degrees.

I had a cheap POS butterfly knife with an excessively large bevel angle. It wasn't very sharp and I couldn't get it sharp at that angle. I bought a diamond hone that cost more than the knife, and spent several hours re-contouring the whole blade. I was finally able to get it fairly sharp, but it dulled quickly because of the low quality steel it was made from. I spent way more time trying to sharpen it than I did using it, and all I did was get sore, cramped up hands. I threw it away after period of not being able to much with it.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Timothy

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 02:50:17 PM »
I sharpen my knives on 1000/6000 grit whetstones.

All my knives sharpen quickly and cut nicely using that setup.  Might buy a strop to polish but they’re kitchen and EDC knives, not sushi knives.

My Scandinavian small forest axe is razor sharp and used seldom.  I can shave with it...

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1116
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 06:34:42 PM »
I got a little pocket knife from the NRA several years ago. I don't even think the blade is a full 2 inches long, but it was so sharp I thought I could shave with it. So I did. No more beard but I had to shave again with a razor to get the remaining stubble. After that one shave it doesn't quite feel as sharp as it used to. I've never used a straight razor either. If I knew how I'm sure I could have done a better job with the knife.

My cheap POS 2-bladed pocket knife that I always carry isn't worth spending the time putting a good edge on. Now I just use one of those carbide sharpeners that rips the steel off the edge of the blades. If I need another blade I also carry a multi-tool that seems reasonably sharp.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk