Author Topic: Where is a good place to find a definition of the differant bullet types  (Read 2959 times)

nosimij

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I am looking at starting to reload centerfire, I have been reloading shot shell for 2 years now.  I have not even owned a centerfire gun a year.  I am looking at the catalogs and I see that there are a number of different types of bullets.  I know ball/FMJ and hollow point, I think.  There are a number of other descriptions of the makeup and geometry of the bullet that i do not know the difference and am trying to understand them.  I can see that the boat tail bullets have a chamfer on the trailing edge.  I guess that helps with air flow around the bullet in flight, but what does it not do as well because of that difference in the geometry?

The answer may be as simple as it's in the reloading manual, that I currently do not have.  I do see in some of the manufacturers catalogs a description but it does not seam to help with knowing what the compromise is.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 879
Re: Where is a good place to find a definition of the differant bullet types
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
Simplest is to start with an internet search of bullet manufacturers.  I like to pick up bullet brochures from the manufacturers when a dealer has them out (I'm a hard copy in the recliner kind of guy).  If you have a good and not overly liberal library there are good books out there, but at $25 - $50 a piece it is nice to see if it has the info you need before you purchase.  The last place on the list would be actual shooters and reloaders.

I put the interaction with actual users last, because in today's world every internet poster is an expert.  Do your homework first, and you will flush out the BS quickly.

Reloading for economy, consistency, accuracy, etc. is like everything else in shooting - There are a thousand ways to get to the end you want.  You need to find what works best for you, and that becomes your benchmark as you move forward.

Good luck on the research, and please post references you find that are helpful so the rest of us can learn from you.  

* I think I went further into the research than you were asking, but the beginning will get you what you are looking for on bullet design.  After that it is still fun!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

Re: Where is a good place to find a definition of the differant bullet types
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 05:54:54 PM »
Here's some links, Wiki has references at the end of the Article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet

The next one may be more what you are looking for.

http://arizonagunlist.com/ammunition_types.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk