Author Topic: 14.5" AR Upper question...  (Read 12279 times)

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • It's just a pen name...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
14.5" AR Upper question...
« on: January 16, 2011, 12:29:14 PM »
....How would a chap most easily go about buying a 14'5" upper with a permanently attached Levang or Noveske compensator to take it past the magic 16" length so as not to upset the Feds? - all the uppers I see on line have other compensators/flash hiders permanently attached .
 Is there a company who will manufacure to my specs?
Best Wishes, Mike.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: 14.5" AR Upper question...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 12:36:31 PM »
I guess the question is WHY would a chap go about buying a 14.5"barrel with a compensator? What are you buying that a 16" barrel won't do for less trouble and expense? ???
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 12:42:39 PM »
Try some of these guy's :

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cat=20

http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=6

http://www.dsarms.com/

This seems like the best bet:

http://www.spiritgunmfg.com/sgmc-sgma12-13-14-ar.aspx
"14.5” CL Match HP MP 1:7 twist barrel with permanent VLTOR pinned flash suppressor"

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 12:55:50 PM »
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 02:15:45 PM »
I'm sure there are companys out there, but most don't want to have to deal with the feds.( its perfectly legal for them to sell, but you know how the ATF rolls)
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:45:08 PM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 02:57:56 PM »
If all else fails, you can buy the barrel and comp seperately and then permanently attach them before assembling the rifle.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 03:49:01 PM »

Just a whim FQ, just a whim..to make this new rifle - WHEN I GET THE RECEIVER!! - as short & light as poss.

Thanks for the links Tom & TW.

Yeah TAB, I know - job creation at it's finest.

I may have to go that route Frank, I'd REALLY like to have the Levang or the Noveske 'concussion  forward' brake, my head sure hurts after shooting a bunch - no matter how fancy the ear protection.

Thanks again,

MP
Best Wishes, Mike.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 03:52:50 PM »
Cutting a barrel is not that hard, it can be done with simple tools that just about every one has.  its the threading thats hard.  you really need a lathe for that.  Lathes also make cutting/ recrowning much easier.

If I had a lathe I'd say bring it over, will get it done.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 04:02:03 PM »
hmmmmm....there's a thought, I know a good lathe guy, cheers TAB  8) - he can braze too and I'm sure we can figure the 'pinning' thing between us,

MP
Best Wishes, Mike.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 04:34:17 PM »
hmmmmm....there's a thought, I know a good lathe guy, cheers TAB  8) - he can braze too and I'm sure we can figure the 'pinning' thing between us,

Before pinning, get a good comp. and beef up the buffer tube and rear stock. I think m25 referred to one on Brownells.com, but I will dig to find the link.  I am going that route, albeit with a 16" HBAR barrel for the absolute minimal muzzle rise.

Even though, this AR has a "happy button" notice the recoil from a 10.5" barrel......literally, NONE! It is similar to mowing the grass.

Yes, it's a Noveske Upper. But slightly above my budget at this time. :-\

All the best. ;D

tw
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk