Author Topic: Study the enemy  (Read 2026 times)

JLawson

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Study the enemy
« on: December 30, 2012, 02:22:23 PM »
Sun Tzu tells us:
It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle.

Well, in an effort to gird for the upcoming frenzy and debate, I've decided to take Sun Tzu's advice and study the enemy.  Rest assured, I've taken my high blood pressure medicine, lit the incense, and tuned to the 'soundscapes' channel for soothing music - this is going to be TOUGH.  For those of you brave enough to join me, here are the enemy encampments I plan to surveil:

Violence Policy Center - http://www.vpc.org/
Coalition To Stop Gun Violence - http://www.csgv.org/
Brady Campaign To Prevent Gun Violence - http://www.handguncontrol.org/

C'mon guys... don't make me do this by myself.  I need backup !

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Study the enemy
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 03:13:26 PM »
Some interesting numbers on the VPC site.

Since 2007, 14 Police officers and 485 others for a total of 499 people have been killed by Concealed Carry holders.

So, how many lives would have been saved if EVERYONE was as responsible as CC Holders?
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

GASPASSERDELUXE

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 03:43:22 PM »
Some interesting numbers on the VPC site.

Since 2007, 14 Police officers and 485 others for a total of 499 people have been killed by Concealed Carry holders.

So, how many lives would have been saved if EVERYONE was as responsible as CC Holders?

How many of the 485 killed were killed while commiting a crime of some sort or in self defense?

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 03:52:43 PM »
I would ask the same of the 14 leos. 
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 04:00:39 PM »
I would ask for some verifiable cities and dates to prove they are not just making things up again.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:00:40 PM »

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 04:22:11 PM »
How many of the 485 killed were killed while commiting a crime of some sort or in self defense?

I would wager most.  I agree that the LEO deaths require cites.

My Google searches lead back to the either VPC or Brady pages or reprints.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 05:08:05 PM »
I've been on their mailing lists for a while. Most posts ask for money. I post some of the more interesting stuff here so that we all  know their thinking.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 05:10:58 PM »
I would wager most.  I agree that the LEO deaths require cites.

My Google searches lead back to the either VPC or Brady pages or reprints.

That's what they do.
They publish some BS full of things they know are not true, then they use that as a "learned reference".
They got caught doing that with Micheal Bellesisle's "Arming America"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arming_America

The book is an expansion of a 1996 Journal of American History article by Bellesiles, and argues that guns were uncommon during peacetime in early America, and that a culture of gun ownership arose only much later. It initially won the prestigious Bancroft Prize, but later became the first book in that prize's history to have its award rescinded. The revocation occurred after Columbia University's Board of Trustees decided that Bellesiles had "violated basic norms of scholarship and the high standards expected of Bancroft Prize winners."

n two scholarly articles,[15][16] law professor James Lindgren of Northwestern University noted that in Arming America, Bellesiles had

purported to count guns in about a hundred wills from 17th- and 18th-century Providence, Rhode Island, but these did not exist because the decedents had died intestate (i.e., without wills);
    purported to count nineteenth-century San Francisco County probate inventories, but these had been destroyed in the 1906 earthquake and fire;
    reported a national mean for gun ownership in 18th-century probate inventories that was mathematically impossible;
    misreported the condition of guns described in probate records in a way that accommodated his thesis;
    miscited the counts of guns in nineteenth-century Massachusetts censuses and militia reports,
    had more than a 60% error rate in finding guns listed as part of estates in Vermont records; and
    had a 100% error rate in the cited gun-related homicide cases of seventeenth-century Plymouth, MA.

Critics also identified problems with Bellesiles's methods of citation. Cramer noted that Bellesiles had misrepresented a passage by George Washington about the quality of three poorly prepared militia units as if his criticism applied to the militia in general. (Washington had noted that the three units were exceptions to the rule.)[17] Cramer wrote, "It took me twelve hours of hunting before I found a citation that was completely correct. In the intervening two years, I have spent thousands of hours chasing down Bellesiles’s citations, and I have found many hundreds of shockingly gross falsifications

Liberals lie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk