Author Topic: Parts is parts?  (Read 1418 times)

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Parts is parts?
« on: February 14, 2009, 12:44:13 AM »
I'm looking at new guns.  Everyone is making an AR type rifle, and a 1911 type handgun.  This seems to be a new phenomenon as earlier everyone made their own unique models.  This is mass production (started by gun makers) taken to the next level: not only do parts fit interchangeably within a gun, but parts from different companies do so.  This is a sort of standardization, no?

Couldn't I make a AR/1911 with every part being from a different manufacturer?

So, I'm thinking, because of this, do I want to buy the newest 'improved' AR, due to it being 'better' than the stock AR, or is it better to get a regular AR, whose parts are available from many companies?  Same with a 1911 vs other 45acp pistol.

Maybe I'm just ranting.
We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

SigShooter

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Parts is parts?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 03:31:42 AM »
Sounds like you're trying to decide between buying either a premium gun or a frame/stripped receiver and parts.

If you're looking to spend time building the gun, go with the latter. If you've got the tools and time, it's always better knowing you put your gun together. Just have it checked out by a gunsmith when you're done, so you don't hurt yourself (I probably wouldn't worry about a completed upper for an AR from a reputable manufacturer).

But if you haven't got the time, get a premium gun and change what you need to when you have the time. I've seen enough Gunbroker auctions to know that everyone seems to change the grips on their pistols. The major manufacturers will never make a perfect (for you) gun, but you can make some modifications effortlessly, and perhaps inexpensively.
From my cold dead hands...to my next of kin to further our rights.

Never to the government. They can buy their own.

Thanos

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 04:54:42 PM »
I went with JP Enterprises and they built my gun out of the best stuff they make. I am really happy with it, I don't know if I would know (Yet anyway) what made one part better than the other.

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 10:31:41 PM »
I built one of my AR's with a olympic lower, JP trigger, colt flat top upper, wilson 24" SS bull barrel, freefloat tube, and
threw a tasco 6-24 rangefinding scope on top. I can unload a 30rd mag and cover the group with a quarter
at 100yds.  With all the wheeling and dealing and trades I have about $750 in it.

No, it's not for sale! ;)
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk