Author Topic: 24 Hours Later, The Anti Gun Legislation Proposal  (Read 16666 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
24 Hours Later, The Anti Gun Legislation Proposal
« on: January 09, 2011, 09:06:51 PM »
We knew it was coming.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47338.html

Carolyn McCarthy readies gun control bill

Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), pounced on the shooting massacre in Tucson
| AP Photo Close
By SHIRA TOEPLITZ | 1/9/11 5:57 PM EST

One of the fiercest gun-control advocates in Congress, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), pounced on the shooting massacre in Tucson Sunday, promising to introduce legislation as soon as Monday.

McCarthy ran for Congress after her husband was gunned down and her son seriously injured in a shooting in 1993 on a Long Island commuter train.

“My staff is working on looking at the different legislation fixes that we might be able to do and we might be able to introduce as early as tomorrow,” McCarthy told POLITICO in a Sunday afternoon phone interview.

Gun control activists cried it was time to reform weapons laws in the United States, almost immediately after a gunman killed six and injured 14 more, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, in Arizona on Saturday.

Many said that people with a history of mental instability, like the alleged shooter, Jared Lee Loughner, should not be able to buy a gun — and no one should be able to buy stockpiles of ammunition used by the 22-year-old assailant.

McCarthy said she plans to confer with House Speaker John Boehner and Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi to see “if we can work something through” in the coming week.

McCarthy’s bill will look to protect ordinary people, she said, but did not offer further details.

“Again, we need to look at how this is going to work, to protect people, certainly citizens, and we have to look at what I can pass,” she said. “I don’t want to give the NRA – excuse the pun – the ammunition to come at me either.”

Pennsylvania Rep. Robert Brady, a Democrat from Philadelphia, told CNN that he also plans to take legislative action. He will introduce a bill that would make it a crime for anyone to use language or symbols that could be seen as threatening or violent against a federal official, including a member of Congress.

We'll see how far this goes. It's just the beginning.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

sledgemeister

• Top Forum Member
  • Democrat Sheeples
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
Re: 24 Hours Later, The Anti Gun Legislation Proposal
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 09:16:33 PM »
Pennsylvania Rep. Robert Brady, a Democrat from Philadelphia, told CNN that he also plans to take legislative action. He will introduce a bill that would make it a crime for anyone to use language or symbols that could be seen as threatening or violent against a federal official, including a member of Congress.

WTF does that mean? cant give a politician "the Bird", dont paint their face on a babboons ass?
Or are they angling for the crosshair thing done by Palin?
slippery slope...... and its all down hill.
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Solomon Short

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 09:17:07 PM »
The aptly named McCarthy has had this bill written for years. She was just waiting for the right tragedy to bring it out. Opportunistic much? ::)
As for Brady? Making it a crime to use language that might SEEM to be threatening to federal officials? Couldn't we just dust off the Sedition Act of 1918? Alternatively, we could go Old School and bring back the Alien and Sedition Acts? AAARGH! What is it with Irish folks named Brady and McCarthy having serious issues with the Bill of Rights? Anyone? ;D  
FQ13 who hopes Boehner proves to be semi-useful and round files both of these.

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 09:20:20 PM »
TW,
I have an uneasy feeling about Boehner and the leadership there in the house.....I hope they aren't stupid and go for anything that resembles a gun control bill. I have already contacted my senator and congressman...I suggest all do the same....And how about the proposal from the guy from PA about banning symbols that can be construed as threatening to a federal official, including elected representatives?

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 09:27:26 PM »
TW,
I have an uneasy feeling about Boehner and the leadership there in the house.....I hope they aren't stupid and go for anything that resembles a gun control bill. I have already contacted my senator and congressman...I suggest all do the same....And how about the proposal from the guy from PA about banning symbols that can be construed as threatening to a federal official, including elected representatives?

An ARB (assault rope ban)? ;D
FQ13 who says that tar, feathers and thin rails should be strictly regulated!!!!!! ::)
PS, Note to the feds, I'm joking. And BTW it was a loan nut job! Repeat after me, a loan nut job, not part of any oganized movement. Associating this guy with the Tea Party is like blaming Greenpeace for the Unabomber.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:13:04 AM »

McGyver

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 09:30:31 PM »
Just what "stockpiles of ammunition" is Ms. McCarthy talking about?  I haven't heard of any yet!   ???

What exactly defines a "stockpile"? Most ALL of us on this board would probably have what "they" consider to be a "stockpile"!   ::)

The windfall from this case could be fairly destructive to our 2A rights. The liberal media spins are overwhelmingly pushing him to be a "Tea-Party extremist" even though we know he's a LWD liberal extremist.   :o

I'm not a HUGE supporter of Palin because I just don't think she's quite ready to lead this country yet, but I can't see the media dumping blame on her, Beck or Limbaugh for this, either.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
On John Wayne's Tombstone

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 09:47:14 PM »
Oh I forgot to mention they will play the sympathy card by showing pictures of the 9 year old girl who was killed- "We have do this for the children..."  ::)

McGyver

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 09:56:01 PM »
The only info on the weapon I can find says it was a Glock pistol purchased from Sportsmans Warehouse. No info on mag capacity or amount of ammo he "stockpiled". (hell, he probably went to walmart and bought a 100rd box of WWB!) Some "stockpile, eh?
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 10:21:01 PM »
In the interests of "full disclosure I will make a couple of edits to this "story".

We knew it was coming.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47338.html

Carolyn McCarthy readies gun control bill

Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), pounced on the shooting massacre in Tucson
| AP Photo Close
By SHIRA TOEPLITZ | 1/9/11 5:57 PM EST

One of the fiercest gun-control advocates in Congress, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), pounced on the shooting massacre in Tucson Sunday, promising to introduce legislation as soon as Monday.

McCarthy ran for Congress after her ABUSIVE, AND ESTRANGED husband was gunned down and her son seriously injured in a shooting in 1993 on a Long Island commuter train [FINANCING HER FIRST CAMPAIGN WITH MONEY FROM THE LARGE INSURANCE SETTLEMENT SHE WOULD NOT HAVE GOTTEN HAD THE DIVORCE PROCEEDINGS BEEN COMPLETE.

“My staff is working on looking at the different legislation fixes that we might be able to do and we might be able to introduce as early as tomorrow,” McCarthy told POLITICO in a Sunday afternoon phone interview.

Gun control activists cried it was time to reform weapons laws in the United States, almost immediately after a gunman killed six and injured 14 more, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, in Arizona on Saturday.

Many said that people with a history of mental instability, like the alleged shooter, Jared Lee Loughner, should not be able to buy a gun — and no one should be able to buy stockpiles of ammunition used by the 22-year-old assailant.

McCarthy said she plans to confer with House Speaker John Boehner and Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi to see “if we can work something through” in the coming week.

McCarthy’s bill will look to protect ordinary people, she said, but did not offer further details.

“Again, we need to look at how this is going to work, to protect people, certainly citizens, and we have to look at what I can pass,” she said. “I don’t want to give the NRA – excuse the pun – the ammunition to come at me either.”

We'll see how far this goes. It's just the beginning.

McGyver

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 10:36:36 PM »
We saw your ironic take on it the first time, Tom.   ;D

I just wanna know where she came up with the "stockpile" of ammunition! It hasn't been reported on as of yet!  Why would the Brady Campaign be privy to info not available to the general public? 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk