Author Topic: 33 Years Instead Of Some Good Kentucky Rope For A Pirate  (Read 7308 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
33 Years Instead Of Some Good Kentucky Rope For A Pirate
« on: February 16, 2011, 08:28:35 PM »
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/02/17/3140994.htm?section=justin

A New York judge has sentenced a Somali pirate to 33 years in prison for his involvement in an attack on a US-flagged ship off the coast of Africa.

Abdiwali Abdiqadir Muse was one of four pirates who attacked the Maersk Alabama cargo ship off Somalia's coast in April 2009.

They escaped with the ship's American captain and a three-day stand-off took place until US Navy sharpshooters killed the other three pirates as they tried to escape on a lifeboat with the ship's captain.

Muse was the only survivor.

Federal Judge Loretta Preska in New York said the sentence of 33 years, nine months would serve as "general deterrence in this kind of crime".

Prosecutors and the judge described Muse as a hardened pirate leader who displayed a cruel streak when he pretended to shoot the cargo ship's American captain.

Prosecutors said he was sadistic, and took pleasure from his hostages' suffering, subjecting them to mock executions.

I think a fine oak tree with some Bogan approved rope would have sent a better message,...Some deterrence Judge Asshat...

What kind of wussies has our country turned into? I'd even accept firing squad, but now taxdollars get him 3 hots and a cot?

Damn Shame.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: 33 Years Instead Of Some Good Kentucky Rope For A Pirate
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 08:40:13 PM »
It shouldn't have even gotten to court. International law is quite clear that any court or flagged vessel can excecute pirates caught in the act. It probably hasn't been done that way in a century (though China and Malysia may be exeptions), but it would still be a good detterent. If the Brits, French, Italians Saudis (now apparently the Iranians  ::)) and the US all started to use these previously granted powers it would go a long way toward stopping it. We don't have yardarms anymore, so it would have to be a firing party on the fan tail, but it would still work. Lacks a certain poinginancy though. ;)
FQ13

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 10:33:13 PM »
Damn, the title scared me tad.  :o
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 10:51:01 PM »
Damn, the title scared me tad.  :o
Read it as advocating good Kentucky Bourbon for a Pirate, and you'll feel better. ;D
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 10:59:22 PM »
I agree with FQ.  It worked pretty good on the "Spanish Main".
During the War of 1812,the last years of war between England and France, all 3 countries continued their "anti Piracy patrols".
Although then and during the Civil war the situation was complicated by Privateers bearing legitimate letters of Marque.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:50:06 AM »

deepwater

• SNIPE
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 11:02:49 PM »
International law is quite clear that any court or flagged vessel can excecute pirates caught in the act. It probably hasn't been done that way in a century

you seem to forget that three others were killed by the squids. (nice shot!) also, we have a four man team onboard now with M4's, their orsders are..... if they believe them to be a threat, to use deadly force. one of the guys was on the Maersk Alabama the second time they were attacked. (don't hear about that one much as they were stopped by using evil firearms). anyway, I don't agree with the guy getting 33 years. hang him, shoot him, whatever. he was involved in kidnapping American citizens on an American flagged ship. HANG HIM!
also, they had him on board when the others were killed and would be hard to justify shooting him after he is no longer a threat. (though it would make us feel better, and certainly be more of a deterrent than 33 years of 3 hot meals and a decent bed.

deepwater
YOU CAN TEACH A MONKEY HOW TO RIDE A BICYCLE: BUT YOU CAN'T TEACH HIM HOW TO FIX IT!!

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 11:15:37 PM »
For most non-pirarate Somalis, a US prison would be a huge step up. Food, AC, indoor plumbing and less dangerous neighbors. :-\
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 11:18:56 PM »
Could always do like the Russian's.
Let them go,
200 miles from shore in a boat shot full of holes.   ;D

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 12:31:52 AM »
I definitely like Tom's response. Make them shark bait.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 12:44:04 AM »
Could always do like the Russian's.
Let them go,
200 miles from shore in a boat then  shoot  it full of holes.   ;D

fixed.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk