Author Topic: 33 Years Instead Of Some Good Kentucky Rope For A Pirate  (Read 7308 times)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: 33 Years Instead Of Some Good Kentucky Rope For A Pirate
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 09:23:26 AM »
Actually, when you think about it, Walking The Plank was rather humane. 

I mean, if given the choice to be hung from the yard arm or shot on the fantail, which would you choose?

Even 200 miles from any shore, swimming for it has a better chance than either of the others.

It will also give them a lot more time to think about the errors of their way.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 09:52:35 AM »
Actually, when you think about it, Walking The Plank was rather humane. 

I mean, if given the choice to be hung from the yard arm or shot on the fantail, which would you choose?

Even 200 miles from any shore, swimming for it has a better chance than either of the others.

It will also give them a lot more time to think about the errors of their way.

With your hands bound behind your back and a  hundred pounds of chain around your waist  ::)
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 10:45:56 AM »
With your hands bound behind your back and a  hundred pounds of chain around your waist  ::)

True...might cut down on the available time for reflection.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 11:21:57 AM »
Just put a wire tie around their neck and kick them over the side.
Same effect with out risk to delicate antenna's that have replaced masts on modern ships.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 11:26:15 AM »
Same effect with out risk to delicate antenna's that have replaced masts on modern ships.
Too gory. No one would show it (exept Al Jazeera, or maybe Fox if they ever put a one hour news show on FX ;)). I think a  quick firing party is the way to go. As to walking the plank, no weights or rope was required. Most sailors back in the day couldn't swim, figuring, what's the point? Not a bad attitude if you're dropped overboard 200 miles out.
FQ13

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:00:48 PM »

deepwater

• SNIPE
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 12:17:19 AM »
as I am aboard one of these modern ships at the moment, I can tell you that we still have masts and that they are certainly strong enough for some skinny pirate from Somalia. yes, ships still have masts, though used for antennae, radars, flags and lights, they are still quite stout. they have to hold up to some very serious weather and be tall enough to be seen from a long distance off. yes, we can hang them.

deepwater
YOU CAN TEACH A MONKEY HOW TO RIDE A BICYCLE: BUT YOU CAN'T TEACH HIM HOW TO FIX IT!!

SwoopSJ

• November 12, 1978 - November 2, 2011
  • DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Love thy neighbor.
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 01:51:11 AM »
yes, we can hang them.

That's what I like to see.  A "can do" attitude.   ;D

Swoop
"...to preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..."  --Richard H. Lee

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 06:26:10 AM »
as I am aboard one of these modern ships at the moment, I can tell you that we still have masts and that they are certainly strong enough for some skinny pirate from Somalia. yes, ships still have masts, though used for antennae, radars, flags and lights, they are still quite stout. they have to hold up to some very serious weather and be tall enough to be seen from a long distance off. yes, we can hang them.

deepwater

It is not likely you will need to hang them now that you have a Rifle Squad to deal with the problem.
—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 08:37:44 AM »
It is not likely you will need to hang them now that you have a Rifle Squad to deal with the problem.

It's not about need Solus.  ;)

After all, it's about adhering to maritime law!   ;D
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

tombogan03884

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 09:47:02 AM »
One thing we are over looking.
33 years beats the hell out of a multi million dollar settlement for violating his "human rights", or 6 years suspended on condition of good behavior.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk