Author Topic: 32.20 ?  (Read 2689 times)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
32.20 ?
« on: March 16, 2012, 12:00:24 PM »
I listen to old detective radio shows online.  Twice now I have heard them mention a "thirty two twenty" semi-auto.  One said it was an import but a very popular gun.  Shows were from 1940s.

I have tried to find info but have been unsuccessful.  Anybody ever hear of it?
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Timothy

Re: 32.20 ?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 12:09:13 PM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 12:10:06 PM »
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 12:47:14 PM »
The depth of knowledge regularly exhibited on this board is an amazing thing.

I'm thinking we should be running the country.  Certainly could do no worse than the current crop of pikers.

Crusader
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 01:46:10 PM »
Even if we were worse I guarantee it would be a lot more fun ...

Hazarittas for everyone !

;D
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:30:48 AM »

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 03:52:57 PM »
Guys, Thanks ..... BUT .... They are talking about a small semi-auto handgun.  It is said to be 'imported'.  I would have dismissed it as normal Hollywood gun foul ups but I have now heard it on two different old time shows.  Dragnet (radio) and as I remember Casey Crime Photographer.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 04:05:10 PM »
the technical advisors probably screwed up .....  .32acp is 7.65x17... pretty popular in Europe

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 04:14:10 PM »
You should know better than to pay attention to "media" gun info..
If it sounds odd it's probably wrong.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 04:26:42 PM »
Going back to the 1940's I think it would be common that it was referred to in the old 32.20.  In this case we need to remember that we are filtering 65 year old information through 21st century knowledge.  There was a day when you didn't just refer to a .22 rimfire as a 22.  It was a .22 short, long, long rifle, etc.  Today we have added the magnum, and we have a whole slew of centerfire .22.    However, for some reason we only view a .22 rimfire as either .22 or .22 magnum, and many people assume that is it.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 06:21:42 PM »
I tried searching for a specific 32-20 semi auto pistol, and came up zilch....Plenty of revolvers, rifles, but no Semi auto pistola's ....everything kinda morphed into the .32 ACP. for  Semi auto platforms...for that time frame.

BUT,...Google Fu was workin' and I found this.

However, it was a "wheel gun".... 8)

Blues guitarist Robert Johnson even wrote a song about the .32-20 (and a cheatin’ woman): “She got a thirty-eight special, but I believe it’s most too light… I got a 32-20, got to make the caps alright. Her .38 special, boys, it do very well. I got a 32-20 now, and it’s a burnin’!” Something tells me that when Johnson wrote that song, he wasn’t referencing a cartridge that many of his contemporaries would have considered underpowered, or one they had never heard of.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/05/03/guest-post-32-20-wcf-the-first-%E2%80%9Cmagnum%E2%80%9D-pistol-cartridge/

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk