Author Topic: 30 Days  (Read 2059 times)

SwoopSJ

• November 12, 1978 - November 2, 2011
  • DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Love thy neighbor.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
30 Days
« on: July 01, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »
Did anyone catch the "Gun Nation" episode of 30 days on FX?  I only got to see the last half of it (already set the dvr for 11:00 p.m., Friday) but, from what I saw, it was suprisingly non biased, although, they did try to pick a "stereotypical" gun enthusiast as the host.  Thank God, he was a fairly articulate man and represented us moderately well.  Just wondering what y'all thought about it.
Swoop
"...to preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..."  --Richard H. Lee

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
Re: 30 Days
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 11:55:23 PM »
I thought it was good.  If it would have been me I would have taken her out to shoot archery first, then move to a crossbow, and then work up to a firearm.  Explain that a firearm is just part of human evolution and is no different than a hammer.

I could have countered her whole arguement about guns killing with my dad being murdered by someone wielding a Chevy S-10.

The lady that was taking part was at least willing to be open minded I thought to go to talk to the family that actually had an attack that they fought off. 

I thought it was pretty good from what I saw, if nothing else Morgan Spurlaker makes everyone think about their position...something we ALL need to do from time to time.
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

ronrdrcr

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 01:51:43 AM »
I recorded it on the DVR, but won't be able to watch until tomorrow morning.

Ron

Ron J

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 08:34:34 AM »
I enjoyed it.  They did a good job presenting both sides and in sharing the emotional side of the anti-gun argument and the fact-based and rational side to the pro-2A side (think I'm a little bias?).  I thought that it was interesting how they picked "Ken" and his son "Zach" from rural OH and "Pia" from MA.  Glad they didn't try to frame "Ken" as a gun-owning country bumpkin "clinging to his guns" as "Pia" expected him to be.  What they could have done to make "good TV" better would have been to have Walt Rauch on!   

Would have liked to have seen the "Ken" give more detail to some of the anti-gun points that "Pia" made (probably on the cutting room floor).  To this, llike many arguments there is little "new" or original points that can be brought up by the anti-gun side.  For instance, when a person says "why do you need a gun for self defense?" you could quote Kleck's research and/or FBI stats.  If someone says "too many kids are getting killed everyday by guns" you can come back by saying that the age of those "kids" was overstated and that a lot of those so-called kids are 19 year old gang-bangers that are just proving one of Darwin's theories (somewhat kidding). 

Good show. 

SwoopSJ

• November 12, 1978 - November 2, 2011
  • DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Love thy neighbor.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 02:51:58 PM »
I thought that it was interesting how they picked "Ken" and his son "Zach" from rural OH and "Pia" from MA.  Glad they didn't try to frame "Ken" as a gun-owning country bumpkin "clinging to his guns" as "Pia" expected him to be. 
Good show. 
Yeah, that's what I meant by "stereotypical" gun enthusiast host.  It seemed to me that the producers attempted  to select a "redneck" ::) to represent us, but I am withholding judgement until I get to see the first half of the episode.  Like I said previously, however, from what I saw, "Ken" was fairly articulate in expressing the view from our side of the fence.  I also was happy to see them include the gentleman who used a firearm to protect himself and his family from the rampaging psycho.
Swoop

"...to preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..."  --Richard H. Lee

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:42:43 PM »

gunman1911

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger Emeritus
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 09:39:15 PM »
Thanks for the heads up excuse me while I go set my DVR.
Back up guns---Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 09:14:56 PM »
I saw both this and the other gun related show where a North Carolina hunter lives with the PETA family in Cali.
Strangely ::), both have rural right wing and urban left wing people, and both the rural people are guys while the urban folks are women.  The gun show gave a lot of time to the anti gun side, while the PETA show gave no time to pro hunting.  Still, the gun show was fairly balanced.  While I'm not ecstatic about it, I am content with how it played.
Never give a first time shooter a shotgun, even if it's a 20 gauge!  Give them a .22lc rifle or handgun for their first firearm to shoot.
Overload in CO
We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 10:51:18 PM »
I saw both this and the other gun related show where a North Carolina hunter lives with the PETA family in Cali.
Strangely ::), both have rural right wing and urban left wing people, and both the rural people are guys while the urban folks are women.  The gun show gave a lot of time to the anti gun side, while the PETA show gave no time to pro hunting.  Still, the gun show was fairly balanced.  While I'm not ecstatic about it, I am content with how it played.
Never give a first time shooter a shotgun, even if it's a 20 gauge!  Give them a .22lc rifle or handgun for their first firearm to shoot.
Overload in CO

Nearly no recoil and they get to see what they are hitting instead of just blasting the berm  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk