Author Topic: 30% off sitewide and free shipping at Night Fision  (Read 1263 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1110
30% off sitewide and free shipping at Night Fision
« on: November 26, 2020, 03:56:16 AM »
Night Fision has a Black Friday Sale with 30% off sitewide and free shipping when you use code BLACK30. It's the biggest discount they ever had. Their night sights have 30% more tritium than the competition and they thought 30% off, 30% more tritium has a nice ring to it. I bought one of their Perfect Dot AR-15 front sight posts before the sale but haven't installed it yet. The ring around the dot comes in 5 different colors. I chose yellow because I think it will work the best for me in most conditions. It looks like it will still be as bright in 3-5 years as my last one was the first year. It's so much brighter there's just no comparison. They didn't make the sight until I ordered it and the tritium lasts for 12 years, but the "good for 10 years" sight I had before was really dim in 8 years. It probably sat around too long before I bought it. This one came with a front sight adjusting tool and a slightly longer detent, plus a sticker and morale patch like in the picture of a pistol.

ETA: Here's a link to the site. https://www.nightfision.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt0YGGa1C9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMSLBjIc5Pg&feature=emb_logo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20NnRnW1zKk&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEKAHJ-wU6M
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

Re: 30% off sitewide and free shipping at Night Fision
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 08:17:05 AM »
Nice for operator wannabe's I suppose.
But I'm more interested in restoring the existing sights.
Decent  glow in the dark paint would be a lot more useful.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 09:44:31 AM »
I don't want anything besides my sights glowing, and those only from my point of view. I only have the tritium front sight, not the rear, but I've seen rear sights with 2 small dots so you line them up like 3-dot sights on a pistol. I just have a large aperture like a ghost ring on one leg of the rear sight instead of the long distance aperture. I got that with the other A2 front night sight.

Glow in the dark paint is okay if you have time to shine a bright flashlight on it when you take the gun out of your gun safe or wherever it's stored, if you don't mind doing that every time, and if they glow long enough to be useful when you need them. In a tactical situation when it's dark enough you need night sights, it wouldn't be good to charge up your glow in the dark paint with an ultra-bright LED flashlight.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 07:24:14 AM »
I recently replaced defunct Tritium sites on my Sig P226 with a set of fresh ones.  They have a half life of something like 7 years, and my Sig is an older unit.  The sites were original, probably close to 10-12 years old.

I guess I hadn't realized just how bright fresh Tritium actually is, but what a difference.  I won't say it lights up the bedroom, but there is no doubt where my piece is in the middle of a dark night.  And acquisition is instantaneous.

And Frank, you are right about glow in the dark paint.  Unless you can hit it with a bright light as you take it out of your night stand or gun safe, glow in the dark paint is useless.  If you do hit it with a bright light, you destroy your night vision so YOU are useless.  Tritium is just a better answer.

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 06:39:50 PM »
The military went to tritium compasses for the same reasons a long time ago. But not until after the Radium Girls got poisoned. Tritium hadn't been discovered yet back then. The National Institute of Standards and Technology lists the half-life of tritium as 4,500 ± 8 days (12.32 ± 0.02 years). I usually round it down to 12 years and figure that if it sits on the shelf for 2 years a sight may still be good for 10 years. But it depends on how much tritium it has to start with, and how dim is too dim to be useful. Tritium decays into helium-3, tralphium, by beta decay. Beta particles from tritium can penetrate only about 6.0 mm of air, and they are incapable of passing through the dead outermost layer of human skin. It's still a bad idea to break the capsule and let the tritium out. Inhaling it is a lot different than just having a few beta particles bounce off your skin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium_Girls

If my new sight is in one room with the light off and I'm in another room with all the lights on, I can stand in the doorway and see the sight glow in the half-lit room. My old one was so much dimmer I had to stand inside a closet with the door shut to see it that well. The same thing goes for my 3-dot tritium pistol sights. Those military lensatic compasses they make are pretty tough too. An ODA* Team member took a round to waist from a sniper over a km away. It knocked him down, but the slug only hit his compass and didn’t penetrate the metal casing. That's solid aluminum, not plastic like my transparent one I can lay right over a map. You can buy the tritium compass 3H in OD green, coyote brown, black, Realtree camo, or pink. Are you tough enough to carry a tactical pink compass? They also have phosphorescent lensatic compasses, tritium Beta-Light knives with grips that remain self-luminous for over 12 years, and mag loaders, etc. And it says on their site, Black Friday - Cyber Monday Sale 30% off and free shipping with coupon black30#. I guess I'll take a look and see if there's anything I want, and if the sale is still on. Some places have extended their sales for several days or weeks beyond Cyber Monday.

https://cammenga.com/

*A Special Forces company normally consists of six ODAs (Operational Detachments-A) or "A-Teams." Each ODA specializes in an infiltration skill or a particular mission-set (e.g. Military Freefall (HALO), combat diving, mountain warfare, maritime operations, etc.).

I always have at least 2 flashlights in my bedroom. One is a 2 C Maglite with a Nite Ize LED upgrade. It's 55 lumens but they also make a 74 lumen High Power LED upgrade. Those are roughly 2 and 3 times the 27 lumen brightness of the original Xenon bulb. You just take the bulb out and replace it with one of these. I got the cheap one but the other one would be worth the cost too. The other flashlight I always have is a 2 AA Mini Maglite. It's only 14 lumens and I made a red filter for it. That light is on a shoelace (actually the drawstring from an M65 field jacket hood) and I hang it on top of the bedpost. I can walk all over my house without turning any lights on or using a flashlight, except the basement where I painted over the windows. But if I want to find a certain small object, a button on my laptop for instance, if I don't know right where it is I can use the red light. It's bright enough to read by but won't destroy my night vision. Also, when I loop the drawstring around my neck the light angles out over my chest far enough to see a little way in front of me. I can walk around like that, or have both hands free to handle something in the light. If you're in a dark bedroom at night and don't ruin your night vision, good night sights will show up like LEDs when they're new. If what they said in basic training was right it takes 1/2 hour of darkness to achieve 100% of your night vision, or 20 minutes in red light and 10 minutes of sitting in the dark like we did. But unless a bright light hits me right in the eyes I can see in the dark pretty good in under a minute.

https://www.niteize.com/

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:57:15 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk