Author Topic: Doesn't Anyone Talk About Guns Anymore?  (Read 3649 times)

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Doesn't Anyone Talk About Guns Anymore?
« on: November 16, 2012, 12:05:53 PM »
So...I'm completely disappointed in politics, which is something I hate anyway. I belong to the NRA, SAF, and NJ2AF. All that aside, screw Petraeus (SOMEONE has been, anyway), BHO, Feinstein, Bloombutt, and Romney for that matter....

I can listen (or read) about people whining about politics almost anywhere I go, but I come here for the gun chattage...so Staaat Chaaatttin'!!!

I've been loading for and breaking in my new Springfield XDS, got a nice IWB for it and I'm happy with that.  I got some 357 brass and I am slowly converting our target shooting stash from .38 to .357. I'm enjoying working out some very pleasant shooting loads for both revolver target and for the Rossi .357  lever gun- for that one I can shoot some lever gun matches at my club. I'm working up some stock so I can dope out both lead and plated rounds for the matches.

I very recently made the long awaited leap to an EBR build in .223, purchased from a NJ acquaintance. It is set up just as I bought it. I plan to get out this weekend and put some Remington UMC through it just to get to know it a little. I'm thinking an inexpensive fast acquisition optic will make it just fine for my enjoyment. Photo here.

As far as I know this is a Spikes Tactical lower with Daniel Defense parts kit,
most of the rest is DD and Magpul I think, and an ACE skeleton buttstock, which has (I'm told) a fairly heavy recoil spring.

That's my installment for some renewed "GUNTALK" .  I'll be happy to discuss any of it if anyone is inclined.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

McGyver

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Doesn't Anyone Talk About Guns Anymore?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 12:49:19 PM »
That's a beautiful EBR, Jay! But it seems something's missing from that pic?   ;D
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
On John Wayne's Tombstone

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 01:06:02 PM »
Can't post photos, because of wrappings.  However, I have a S&W M&P9 in the car, and we are leaving for Kansas in less than an hour.  M&P9, S&W Range Bag, two extra 16 round magazines, 250 rounds of practice ammunition, and some cleaning supplies heading to kid #1 for Christmas this weekend.

A GunVault and some other bits and pieces will be purchased down there when he thinks we are shopping for him to purchase the gun.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 01:16:50 PM »
GUNS? We're supposed to be talking about guns? When did that start?

Nice catch on that AR...Spike's and DD are some of the absolute best stuff out there.My "house carbine" is a Spike's gun. As far as an inexpensive dot, I've had a Tasco ProPoint for the better part of 20 years. Total maintenance has been to replace the battery...once. Bot bad for $100 bucks. I also just bought one of the Walther red dots for a .22 AR...not sure how it would hold up under the .223.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/tasco-propoint-1x32-rifle-scope-pdts132.html

Redfield is also gearing up their lower priced AR line. What I have in house looks great...I'm going to put the 3-9 on my DD longer range gun...

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 01:33:18 PM »
That looks like a low profile handguard. If so you could use an Eotech 512. I love that optic for two reasons despite its drawback. The drawback is that it uses up a lot of real estate on the rails, but with a low profile hanguard it can overhang with no problem, as long as its clamped tightly. That said, I prefer the Eotech's clear bright optic picture of of a circle with a dot inside of it (the circle is 6 MOA, the dot is 1 MOA) over the simple dot you get with an Aimpoint. It makes for faster target acquisition. The other thing I like is that it uses two AA batteries that you can find anywhere, as opposed to some exotic lithium special you won't be able to find if things go pear shaped. Your hand guard doesn't appear to be free floated, so your optic will need to be mounted on the receiver. No big. The Vortex Spark (SP?) is also a good option. Check E-bay for both.

Anyway, nice rifle Jaybet. You couldn't ask for better quality. I hope you enjoy it. You done good!

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:00:09 AM »

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 02:16:29 PM »
That's a beautiful EBR, Jay! But it seems something's missing from that pic?   ;D

Yeah, it didn't come with toes. An oversight on my part.

MB- thanks for the comments on parts ... I was happy to hear what it was made of, it's a real good start.

Knowing nothing about AR types...can the trigger junk be polished up like on a revolver to smoothen or lighten it just a bit or is that something that doesn't happen? I know you can buy $250 triggers, but I was wondering how prevalent a little spit shine is with this type of weapon.

Also, as stated in another thread, FQ made some common sense comments that were helpful in my search (No, ... REALLY!) Also I ran a few options by RASTUS who dissected them on a technical basis which gave me a greater understanding of what I might be looking for. THEN....it just popped up!!!  And just for  your edification, it is NJ compliant. Things that come to mind are permanently attached compensator, fixed length buttstock (can't be adjustable) and the "20 round"  Pmag is actually pinned to 15 rds, NJ max.  Ain't we got fun?
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1110
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 03:19:09 PM »
On one of my ARs I polished the action and on the other one I bought a trigger kit. They both feel the same to me but I prefer to buy the kit.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Pecos Bill

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 05:11:34 PM »
What no TB on this one? He must be slipping!
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress, but I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 05:46:18 PM »
Nice, Jay.

I'm new to the AR owners club myself. Have not posted a 'range report' since so many folks have them it wouldn't really provide anything not already known.

Got some PMags from Brownells ....... but have not tried them. They get top reviews.

Anyway, good luck with the new EBR.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 06:07:36 PM »
Jay, you can polish up the existing triggers...I'm thinking the DD trigger should be okay and they're excellent base parts. If you decide to spend the bucks, get this one:

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8.1_ezt.php

Before you do, though, get that weird boron nitride hammer/sear grease for $4.95. Good stuff. Don't smear it on toast. Trust me on this.

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk