Author Topic: Just talked to Deepwater!  (Read 7416 times)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Just talked to Deepwater!
« on: April 10, 2009, 10:33:38 AM »
He is safe, still in Japan.  Doesn't know when he'll be back as Mearsk has changed the rules for 3rd engineers (now you need a PIC certification) and though he is fully qualified they cannot find a relief that is because of the rule change!

Of course they are watching the news on the pirates.  If his ship goes through that area they get armed military on board as they ship military cargo (fuel).  Said the BIG reason that most ships are unarmed is due to insurance regs!  If you have guns on board it is VERY difficult and MUCH more expensive.

I didn't realize insurance companies were run by dumbocrats!  But they must be.  How else can you come up with logic that says "I will insure your ship and cargo unless you try to protect it."  ???
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 584
Re: Just talked to Deepwater!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 10:49:26 AM »
I didn't realize insurance companies were run by dumbocrats!  But they must be.  How else can you come up with logic that says "I will insure your ship and cargo unless you try to protect it."  ???

Lloyd's of London suits.  Making more sense now?  I had some contact with those guys in a past job insuring offshore platforms...bunch of suits that act bad ass who are really childish, selfish kids living on an established business.  They revel in silly pursuits off the clock.  The English lost their empire when they lost their will...they were overrun with competing ideas from the new citizens who flooded in from their empire....and by their own version of gynocentric ideals which we have begun to embrace.

Dang Haz....you really know how to keep a guy stirred up.

Good thing he's on duty for defense fuels.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 10:50:43 AM »
Tell Him we said Hi !

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 10:56:31 AM »
Thanks for the info on Deepwater. Glad he's safe and hope he get's to head home soon!!
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 888
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 07:40:01 PM »
Thanks for the update!  I think it would be safe to say next time you talk to him you can let him know we all wish him the best.

On the insurance thing, a friend of mine that owns several banks explained to me that the ONLY reason his banks were posted "No Guns" was because if he didn't they would pull his insurance.  And in his own words - "A banker can't operate without insurance."
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:24:40 PM »

1776 Rebel

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 08:27:34 PM »
Glad to hear that Deepwater is safe and sound. Maybe not sober but safe and sound ! :)

In case you get to speak to him again you might want to relay this important message from the President on the piracy issue !!!

http://exurbanleague.com/2009/04/09/obama-issues-statement-on-the-pirate-attack.aspx

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 08:39:30 PM »
Who's Deepwater?
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 08:42:49 PM »
Who's Deepwater?

Like blackwater only deeper . . . . .

He's a DRTV buddy who shipped out in the merchant marine (do they still call it that?) some months ago - seems like forever. Nice guy apparently, good poster when he gets to an internet port.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 08:44:05 PM »
Haz
Once again I have a question. I was watching Anderson Cooper the other night on CNN. He seems as perplexed as I am as to why the companies don't just put trained security on board. He was saying  to some insurance guy about the no guns thing, that he bought the argument against personal weapons because of fear of someone going postal or just a yahoo making things worse. But why no trained pro's who could even be left in life boat before the ship hit port? The insurance answer was that a lot of these ships (tankers) emited fumes that could go up if there were sparks. Now this seems sketchy because if the fumes were that bad you'd think the crew would all be dead or blown up by propane burners. I'm not going to argue though, because I know nothing about tankers and am damn sure not volunteering to go on deck and pop a few off to see whether I'm right. Your statement about military support on a fuel tanker, though seems to bear this out. Any thoughts?
FQ13

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 08:48:35 PM »
Thanks, tell him to watch forPegleg Pirates.
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk