Author Topic: I got a pair of Dark Sun Clip Grips for my NAA Mini.  (Read 3017 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
Re: I got a pair of Dark Sun Clip Grips for my NAA Mini.
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2023, 11:21:38 AM »
Weather is finally gotten to where I want to do some of my walking outdoors.  This has gotten me to thinking that a NAA .22lr might be a good, light weight alternative for my jogging shorts.  Hmmmm.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1448
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2023, 11:26:13 AM »
Weather is finally gotten to where I want to do some of my walking outdoors.  This has gotten me to thinking that a NAA .22lr might be a good, light weight alternative for my jogging shorts.  Hmmmm.

Maybe go with the .22 Mag? Not much added weight, more recoil, and more stopping power. (IMHO)
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Wladas

• The Safe Keeper
  • Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2023, 04:26:31 AM »
I got a pair of Dark Sun Clip Grips made of black G-10 for my NAA Mini .22 Magnum Convertible revolver. These normally come with a stainless steel clip and silver color screws to match. They sell them with a black clip and screws for $5 more. And they have Duracoated colored grips and clips, as well as wood grips, Micarta, barbecue guns, ladies guns, etc. But I just had to be different. I think it's too obvious it's a gun and not a knife in your pocket, so I got the Van Meter Deep Concealment Clip Grip. It comes with a black clip and screws, but I got a silver clip and screws too, so I can switch it to match more of my knives. The gun sits a lot lower in the pocket with the clip in this location. It has screw holes drilled in the standard location too if I change my mind about this one. I won't be winning any fast draw competitions, that's for sure. Not even mid-speed draws. If you buy a left-handed standard grip it will have screw holes in the right grip too. You get screw holes! And you get screw holes! Everybody gets screw holes! I'll take some pics this weekend and post them soon after. Some with the boot grips that are currently on the gun too.

https://darksunclipgrip.com/the-online-store/ols/categories/dark-sun-clip-grips

This video explains why the grips are the size and shape they are. It makes sense to me. They have a bunch of other videos on YouTube. I need to see what they're about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiOM2xbF8aQ

Looks like a great idea. But I'm confused by the very fact of wearing a gun in a jeans pocket. Although if this pistol is of .22, then the idea is excellent.
Favorite Shop - The Safe Keeper - Home & Gun Safes with Nationwide Shipping

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2023, 09:14:46 AM »

Maybe two of them...? 

But, I gotta say I don't mind carrying an LC9 with some Liberty Civil Defense 50 grain bullets.  I wouldn't have "thunk" it but dropping 65 grains per round is a big deal in a little gun and makes all of the difference in the world to me.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2023, 02:40:55 PM »

I keep snake shot in the first two holes for sudden reptile dispatching and Aguilla hollow points for just in case..From several feet it will take a snake's head apart.
It also serves as nothing more than last-ditch back-up for my primary sidearm. It's so light, I have been known to keep it in a shirt pocket if it is the type with flap top.

Sometimes I swap it out for a Colt .38 snub if I'm going where I don't need my normal pistol to be in danger of printing or showing (as in when I ignore signs that have no real force of law, but don't want to cause an unnecessary ruckus). Lately I've thought of using that little Ruger EC9 I bought for the wife since she has difficulty with the slide and safety due to arthritis. It's flatter than the snubbie and holds more rounds.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:25:10 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2023, 11:08:46 AM »

....<snip> ... as in when I ignore signs that have no real force of law, .... <snip>

I WOULD NEVER DO THAT!

Of course if I never "saw" the sign in the first place.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2023, 03:19:34 PM »
I WOULD NEVER DO THAT!

Of course if I never "saw" the sign in the first place.

Having a bad leg and all, I look down from time to time to check terrain and might easily miss a sign or three........  8)

Speaking of NAA grip panels, you should try printing  some on your 3D printer. I don't know the strength of the stuff, but you might be able to print the grip/clip all in one unit.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1111
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2023, 11:55:02 PM »
I still haven't put these grips on, but I just grabbed one of the clips and it feels sturdier and stiffer than the clips on some of my knives. A lot of my knives have slots or holes in the middle of the clip to make them open up easier, but these are solid. I held it up to 4 or 5 of my knives for comparison. It looks like it's the same thickness as most of them and a hair thicker than some others. I don't have a good way to measure it, but honestly think it's going to work great.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2023, 12:21:15 AM »
Maybe go with the .22 Mag? Not much added weight, more recoil, and more stopping power. (IMHO)

More stopping power with the right ammo. I saw a video on YouTube where, based on the awesome performance of the .22LR CCI Mini-Mag Segmented HP, this guy thought the CCI .22WMR Maxi-Mag Segmented Hollow Point 22 was going to be a real game changer. If he said "game changer" one more time I would have reached out and slapped him if I could. If you find the video, you'll find out why. Well, it turned out not to be a game changer, unless the game is getting lower velocity and less energy in the .22 Magnum.

CCI also makes a Segmented Hollow Point 22 LR 32 Grain that really scoots when fired in a rifle, Segmented Hollow Point 22 LR 40 Grain, and Quiet-22 Segmented HP 22 LR 40 Grain. The first two may or may not do okay in a Mini, but the Quiet-22 is listed at 710 fps and it says  not to use it in barrels over 24″ in length. It doesn't list a minimum length, but even if it's not a squib it wouldn't be much good. 75 percent less perceived noise than a standard velocity 22 Long Rifle round, and no hearing protection needed when fired in locked-breech firearms, sure would make it good for popping pests with a bolt-action rifle.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2023, 09:34:54 PM »
I finally put the Dark Sun Clip Grips on my NAA Mini last week. I had to file a little off the rear face of the left grip, toward the top of it. It teeter-tottered slightly on the side of the mainspring instead of seating flush. The right grip fell into place, no problem. I stripped out the grip escutcheon, so I tapped it for a 3/4" long 8-32 machine screw, which I have plenty of in the basement. A .275x.050 bit is just about a perfect fit to the slot of the screw from a cheap imported 500 (or 1,000?) piece set I bought decades ago. It's nice finally have a good gunsmithing set of bits. Eventually I plan on getting a cap screw for it from the hardware store. Either a Torx or Allen screw to replace the machine screw. I just checked, and Homeboy Depot has #8-32 x 3/4 in. Black Oxide Coated Steel Hex (Allen) Drive Socket Head Cap Screws (25-Pack) for $9.09, but I don't need 25 of them. One or two would suffice, so I have to see if Gill-Roy's Got It! That's the hardware store's actual slogan. I'll put a drop of blue Loctite on it and try not to tighten it too much. I already lost one of the stainless steel screws for the stainless clip, so the black one will be on it for awhile. The gun practically disappeared in the pocket of my shorts. There's not enough of the grip showing to know if it's a gun or a knife, unlike with the standard clip location. The deep carry clip is the way to go IMO.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk