Author Topic: Smith and Wesson model 544 problem  (Read 4625 times)

tommy tornado

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Smith and Wesson model 544 problem
« on: June 24, 2008, 10:20:40 PM »
Don't know for sure if it is my ammo or the gun.  Recently, I purchased a Smith and Wesson Model 544 revolver chambered in .44-40. While shooting it, I noticed a problem. I was using my reloads with a 200 grain Lee cast bullet (sized to .427 & lubed with SPG), 6.0 grains of American Select powder, a WLP primer, in a R-P case seated to 1.55 depth. After the first round was fired the cylinder would begin to bind. Then after the second shot it would totally freeze up. After openning the cylinder it would take a good tap on the case ejector to pop out my spent cases. From what I described does it sound like I have a problem with my pistol or my ammo? From looking at the cases there are no signs of excessive pressure or split cases, and I am within the guidelines for American Select powder according to my reloading manuels. Just trying to get some opinions before talking to my local gunsmith.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Smith and Wesson model 544 problem
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 10:51:40 PM »
what does it do with factory ammo?
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

CZShooter

• IDPA SO/MD, NRA RSO
  • Top Forum Member
  • CZ75...the choice of anime's hottest bounty hunter
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 06:42:11 AM »
What type of crimp are you putting on your reloads? If they are not crimped good enough...the bullets will begin to unseat (due to the recoil) and can cause the cylinder to bind. A good check is to load up...fire a couple rounds...then measure the unfired round's OAL to see if they've gotten longer.
If the women don't find you handsome...they should at least find you handy.

tommy tornado

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 09:17:10 PM »
Yep, I needed to back off the 6.0 grains of American Select.  Now it works.  The gunsmith did say that the cylinder was slightly out of alignment to the right the the rob had a bit of wobble.  Both problems he fixed for me for free. 

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 11:10:22 AM »
Yep, I needed to back off the 6.0 grains of American Select.  Now it works.  The gunsmith did say that the cylinder was slightly out of alignment to the right the the rob had a bit of wobble.  Both problems he fixed for me for free. 

Cool, now you have to go to the range and re assure your self that sights are still on, functions reliably and any other excuse for a days shooting that you can come up with  ;D

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:51:46 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk