Author Topic: Bug out bags  (Read 6490 times)

Robin

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bug out bags
« on: October 21, 2008, 01:28:53 PM »
Mr. Bane mentioned this was a forum topic in one of his podcasts but I can't find the relevant threads. So I thought I'd post my thoughts here. :)

Just like carrying a pistol to give you time to get to your rifle, I use a layered approach to bug out bags and the entire concept of emergency preparedness. In a worst case scenario, you are away from home when something happens. A car BOB gets you home where you can hole up. If the situation does not improve after a week then you need to be somewhere else.
  • Car: Your home may be your castle, but chances are you won't be at home when something bad happens. That something could range from natural disaster to broken car on the side of the road. All my vehicles have a small backpack in the trunk for such an eventuality. It contains a small first aid kit, one day's worth of water and emergency rations, LED flashlight with spare lithium batteries, a heavy duty space blanket that can double as ground cover when working on the car, and a can of "fix a flat" for cars that don't have runflat tires. Those with CCWs may also want two extra mags and ammo as well. Personally I don't feel comfortable leaving a firearm in a BOB since cars get broken into. While MOLLE is useful, I avoid tactical backpacks and external pouches. Camelbaks are good; the idea is to blend in and look innocuous. Oh, I never let the tank get below 1/4 either. A car BOB buys you time to get someplace and you can't do that on empty.
  • Home: I like to stock and rotate one week's worth of canned food per person. It doesn't have to be dehydrated nuclear-proof stuff; just the stuff I normally eat suffices. I also rotate a couple cases of bottled water. A generator might be nice, but that makes you stick out when the rest of the neighborhood is dark. The idea is to keep a low profile and not attract attention.
  • Major disaster: If order is not restored after a week then it's time to think about going somewhere else. To that end I keep 15 gallons of gas (cycled every three months) in the garage. Again, you can't get far if you don't have enough gas. The garage also holds one case of MREs per person, a lightweight tent, ceramic water purifier and a larger first aid kit. If it gets to that point then I will have had a week to decide what's important enough to take and what to leave behind. If your car is in a garage then you can always start packing immediately in case you need to make a hurried departure ahead of schedule.

Well, there you have it. I hope you found these concepts useful and are able to incorporate them into your own emergency preparedness plan.

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Bug out bags
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 01:55:11 PM »
Bug out bags made popular by Gabe Suarez, good idea, need to be benign, not tactical looking , camera bag good, military canvas in O.D. green ,bad. Good to have several , 1 in vehicle , 1 in home , just enough to keep you in the fight., ammo water , pistol, knife, you know, essentials. They come in different sizes, relative to what you think you will need when TSHTF.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 07:03:20 PM »
Bug out bags made popular by Gabe Suarez, good idea, need to be benign, not tactical looking , camera bag good, military canvas in O.D. green ,bad. Good to have several , 1 in vehicle , 1 in home , just enough to keep you in the fight., ammo water , pistol, knife, you know, essentials. They come in different sizes, relative to what you think you will need when TSHTF.

I use a medium sized LowePro day pack, looks completely normal - except for the LowePro logo which is darkened with permanent marker, especially the white/silver and red parts. Padded shoulders, waist belt, not too flashy, but does OK in a pinch.

Need hydration though, especially if on foot. I just finished Patriots, and I am still filtering everything through that for the moment.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 03:32:12 PM »
Hey Michael, you forgot one thing for your BOB...a good supply of TP.  Some to trade and some to use. 

Richard

PS:  How many people does it take to pick your BOB up to load in the semi?
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 02:25:01 AM »
Hey Michael, you forgot one thing for your BOB...a good supply of TP.  Some to trade and some to use. 

Richard

PS:  How many people does it take to pick your BOB up to load in the semi?

Don't need TP, got the Washington post and NY times  ;D They have to be good for something.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:59:45 AM »

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 12:08:22 PM »
Don't need TP, got the Washington post and NY times  ;D They have to be good for something.

Kindling.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk