Author Topic: Ford vs after market. Why i do my own oil changes  (Read 3798 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 894
Re: Ford vs after market. Why i do my own oil changes
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2020, 11:23:12 AM »
Background:  I have worked as a parts manager and service writer for a GM dealership, a mechanic at a Ford dealership, and managed an auto parts store (Parts Pro). 

I am not against purchasing parts from a parts store, BUT make sure you get OEM or higher grade.  Watch closely that you don't get counterfeit knockoffs.  This is easy to verify if you have a relationship with the store owner/manager, but difficult in many larger communities with large chain stores.  When in doubt, go to the dealership, and pay the price for quality.

Always keep in mind that when you purchase verified OEM you are purchasing the product that these manufacturers rely on to protect them against high warranty claims and law suits.

TAB, what you experienced with your oil filters is a common cross reference situation.  The best way for me to explain is the old GM PF-25 and PF-35 (small block GM).  The filter base and check valves are the same, but the PF-35 is the truck version and 50% larger.  In severe duty, try to use the larger, BUT watch clearance with your exhaust.  Not just that it doesn't touch, but that it is far enough away to not overheat it and cook the oil.  Cooked oil is worse than non-filtered oil.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 12:08:50 PM »
The funny thing is the filter was a hair over $6 dollars at the ford dealer.  I did buy it in the 6 pack.  It was cheaper than buying the middle grade filter at the parts store.

Ford filters are built by either mann or wixx. Both of which are excellent  filters.

I am very anal about mainatance, I do way more than even the manufactors recommend.  Its also why i take trucks in to the 3s, 4 and even 500s.    take coolant for example.  Its swapped every 30k miles, every other flush, i replace the thermostat, cap and hoses.  I normally drive 60k year.  So i go thru lpts of parts.  If the truck was worth more, i wouod actually  send of a sample of oil to the lab.   Its not, so i am not doing that, but i am keeping my normal maintance.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2020, 07:17:47 AM »
Maintenance is the key to longevity.  However, it is not necessary to vary far from the manufacturers recommendations.  The manufacturers have worked to determine what is the best for their vehicles, and if you follow their FULL maintenance guide you will have a vehicle that will last past the 500k mark.

The number one waste of money and resources is premature changing of oil.  If you have an old vehicle, match your use with the manual, and utilize annual lab work.  If you have a modern vehicle with the maintenance reminder, follow it.  Remember, maintenance is more than oil changes.  It includes needed lubrication, ALL filters, belts, all fluids (more engine damage is done by out of date coolant than poor oil changes), and timely adjustments.  People will still change their oil and filter every 2,500 - 3,000 miles, but they won't adjust or replace belts, and they ignore their coolant and timing belts.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2020, 10:20:44 AM »
I did all my own oil changes up until we got the Pathfinder.   It require dropping a dust/dirt shield under the engine and pretty much takes a lift  to accomplish.  Sadly, I did changes more frequently when I did them myself, than when I have to take them in.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2020, 10:44:23 AM »
Friend of mines wife got a new car from Jiffy Lube years ago. Forgot to put the drain plug back.
Engine was toast before she got out of the parking lot.

I got a new transfer case in 05 Silverado about eight years ago, because they signed off that all fluids were topped off and good.  Fifty miles later the case puked.  It was one with the pinhole leaks and had been near dry for a while.  I didn't go for the transfer case.  I went for the tow, because it left me stranded when they should have warned me.  However, in arbitration (they said it was a known defect and not their issue) the judge made them cover the tow, a used, inspected and warranted transfer case, and labor.

Fast forward to 2020.  Early in the pandemic I needed an oil change on my old Impala.  The only shop I'm building a relationship was so over booked I couldn't get in.  Without thinking I swung into Jiffy.  First they hit me for top of the (price) range synthetic.  Next, they claimed everything was inspected and good to go.  Later that day I put a gallon of washer fluid in, I topped my coolant tank, I replaced my air filter, and I crawled under the car and wiped the pool of oil off the crossmember.

I complained on line to Jiffy about a hundred dollar basic oil change, and I received 100% refund.  Maybe I will remember this and do what I said eight years ago:  "Never ever Jiffy again!"

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:03:55 PM »

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2020, 10:59:35 AM »
I worked for a Valvolene instant oil change before becoming disabled. My shop had the lowest rate of customer issues(Damage, complaints etc) in the entire company. I insisted that my guys only recommend what was needed per the manufacturers recommended maintenance schedule and to explain to the customer why it should be done for longevity of vehicle life. When I left ,the shop went from doing 80 to 100 + cars a day down to about half of that.We also used the buddy system to check each others work to make sure nothing was forgotten.Unfortunately as younger employees came in they're work ethic wasn't what I was demanding when I was there and the shop suffered.I firmly believe that is why the oil change industry has such a bad reputation.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1122
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2020, 09:05:11 PM »
That's a great idea having people check each others work. One person can accidentally miss something, or fake it, but a second pair of eyes can verify if it was done.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1122
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2020, 09:29:31 PM »
The parents of one of my older brother's friends had a Lincoln IIRC, and I can't remember what the smaller car was, a Mustang or a Pinto I think. I would have to ask my brother and see if he remembers but it was the mid-late '70s and he may not. I only know they were both Ford products, and can only remember seeing both cars in the driveway at the same time once in several years. At least one of them was in the shop getting something fixed on any given day. They were on the lift so much they had more miles vertically than horizontally. That part may be an exaggeration but not the rest of it. This meme reminds me of that couple and their F.O.R.D. cars.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 585
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2020, 06:59:47 AM »
I worked for a Valvolene instant oil change<snip>.

Interesting.  I have a great location with a very high traffic level that I was thinking about opening up as an oil change business up.  Obviously the worst part of the business is on the personnel side. 

What kind of profit margins did you guys make?

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2020, 07:30:29 AM »
I'm wondering how these oil change places are doing these days? I say that because many new cars come with as much as 3 years of maintenance "free". This includes oil and filter changes. Of course it's not "free". They're sticking it to you on the price of the vehicle, one way or another. But more and more dealers are doing it, and in the process robbing quick lube places of the business.

Then you have the lease / "rental" market. Most all car leases come with the same "free" maintenance deal. So that's more business lost to the oil change joints. Also, the do it yourself oil change guys like me are increasing. Simply because they don't trust these clowns, because they've all heard or experienced one horror story after another. There are also a lot of tire and tune up places like Big-O, Goodyear and Firestone Automotive Centers, as well as places like Wal-Mart, Costco, and Pep Boy's that feature things like free oil changes with a tire purchase. Add it all up, and it has to be hurting them. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk