Author Topic: Which AR-15 type Black Rifle  (Read 21869 times)

wisconsin

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Which AR-15 type Black Rifle
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2008, 09:04:33 PM »
Thanks for your input this does help in making my decision on what caliber to invest in. Now that I know this has been discussed before I'll page thru past discussions until I find it. Once again Thanks
5.56 is the NATO round, mil-surp is in 5.56; .223 is typically the civilian. they are not the same, but the differences are slight - higher pressure in the military round, and a couple thousands of an inch longer case. Rifles rated for 5.56 will fire .223. In reality most modern rifles in .223 will also fire 5.56 safely, an older .223 may not be so safe. Others may disagree but a modern AR rifle in .223 will probably handle 5.56 mil-surp without a problem - if you can still find it without breaking the bank.

This has been discussed, I'm too tired (lazy) to search for it.
" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."   John Wayne

someguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2008, 04:29:19 PM »
Wisconsin-

5.56 guns will shoot .223.  .223 guns will - at best - not handle the 5.56 well, and at worst will fail catastrophically, damaging the gun and potentially you.  Not to mention, for the aforementioned reason alone, if you ever need to sell a .223-only gun, you'll never get as much out of it.

For those of you who've mentioned the Sig rifles (including you, Michael...) two dealers here in Memphis have them in stock - one had a couple, one has 8.  I figure most dealers are starting to get a steady supply by now, but if you're still one of those folks waiting for one to come in, you might look into a transfer. 

Re: 6.8SPC, I've heard scuttlebutt from several sources that at least two sizable gov't agencies are about to bid out for 6.8 guns agency-wide, which should help with the cost of ammo, as the production levels should go way up.  Silver State ammo makes the best stuff in 6.8 right now, IMO.  AAC and Surefire have cans available for the caliber, as well, with others forthcoming.

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2008, 09:25:46 AM »
I am surprised that it has not been posted yet.  If you are looking for a good carbine AR at a great price, you can go to CMMG and they have a bargain bin section.  There they have a bunch of AR's for $575 or so.  They are 16" Carbines with flattops and adjustable stocks.

I personally, tend to keep mine basic rifle, no add on stuff.  I have the stock triggers, but have a job done on them and they are not bad.

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk