Author Topic: S&W 625JM (-8) review  (Read 21309 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
S&W 625JM (-8) review
« on: March 23, 2012, 03:38:10 PM »
<This will come in installments.>   

Today I took possession of a brand NIB Smith and Wesson 625JM.  It's the first "new" (21st century) S&W I've purchased since 1984.   All mine others are pre-2000 made except this one.   I got it from Bud's in KY and it costs, $788 out the door.  Bud's price was $780 and shipping was $8 (I think their on-line checkout made a mistake).  My dealer charged me nothing for the transfer.  Even at $30 this would have come in a $818.   Learned something about Bud's.  They don't stock most of the stuff in their on-line "store" but have it dropped shipped from the distributor or the manufacturer.   Also learned that the distriubtors may stop doing that and Bud's will have to actually stock the merchandise.  That could cause their prices to go up.

So I was anxious as to how I would like it.  Would the "infernal lock" bother me as much as I feared?  What changes have they made.   Is this something I could shoot in competition?  (IDPA and Bowling Pin)

Went straight from the sales counter to the my lane on the range.    Everyone in the store, including the employees came to drool over it.  Pretty wood grip and of course nice matte stainless steel finish.  Many had never seen a gold bead front sight, and they were impressed how easy it is to sight.   A few had never seen moon clips in action nor understood their purpose, so we had a little lesson.

Here's the basic picture:

The grip is a ONE piece wooden grip and feels really good in my hand.   I ended today's practice with several "Bill Drills" and not once did I notice it slipping or twisting during the rapid fire.

The double action pull is stiff but clean and crisp.  I had no problem with it and was doing some fantastic groupings.   The single action pull (not something you use a lot with this type of gun) was a little harder than I'd like.  More so than in my other Smith's.   I must keep in mind it has only had 180 rounds through it ...   so far.

And yes, the gold bead front sight is great.  Requires less light than an fiber optic.  It doesn't do a lot for long range single action sighting, but again, that's not what this gun is for.

Now to the problem.   As this board encourages each to learn from our mistakes, I'm having doubts whether this is a good purchase.   I needed a 4" gun for IDPA, but I'm not sure this is going to live up to what I'd expect with JM's name on it.

The problem is in the chamber chamfer  (bevel).  Or should I say the lack of bevel.   Without a bevel it makes the straight walled .45ACP cases hard to line up and feed.  Here's a picture of the older, standard 625-2 (left) next to the 625JM.

Now here's a close-up of the older gun where you can see the bevel.  Also notice how the extractor ends fit pretty well with the chamber edges and how the extractor ends are cut at six different angles.  Almost circular.

Now compare this to the new 625JM.  No bevel.  Look closely at the ends of the extractor.

No bevel and the ends of the extractor don't fit at all.   Plus notice how S&W now only cuts/mills the extractor at 4 different angles not 6.  Square shaped.   That's not a problem per se, just a change in manufacturing and fitting, but the lack of bevel is definitely a negative.

I've posted a question the S&W Forum and sent an email to S&W factory customer service.  If this is on purpose then I'm very disappointed in the JM and might even try to get a message to him about it.    If it's an oversight, I'm hoping S&W will correct.  If not,   a chamber chamfer tool is $101, or (better option) I could take it to my gun smith ... for about $100.   

Otherwise I do like the gun and think I could have fun shooting it in competition.  I've got the moon clips "holsters" I just need to order the holster (Bianchi) for IDPA.

<more to follow>

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: S&W 625JM (-8) review
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 04:18:15 PM »
it's been a long time, and may well have been on the .357 and not the .45, but I think I chamfered mine with a cartridge case deburring tool....have done several others with a machinist's chamfering tool

Timothy

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 04:22:12 PM »
If you extend the lines of the cuts on the extractor ends it appears square.  Much cheaper to machine four straight edges than to interpolate a radial cut of the previous design.  Not saying that's better but it's plausible.  It also appears that they forgot the final machining of the chamber after extractor fitting as you say they don't fit!

Do the cylinders interchange?

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 04:50:41 PM »
If you extend the lines of the cuts on the extractor ends it appears square.  Much cheaper to machine four straight edges than to interpolate a radial cut of the previous design.  Not saying that's better but it's plausible.  It also appears that they forgot the final machining of the chamber after extractor fitting as you say they don't fit!

Do the cylinders interchange?

Yes the older extractors are flat on the end but were cut at 6 different angles (hex), while the new ones apparently  are cut by turning the tool (or piece) only 4 times.  I don't care for look of the finished product.   Just doesn't seem "proper", though it probably works just as well.   I can get over that part, just like I can ignore the "infernal lock".

Timothy, probably the cylinders would work, but they are fitted to the frame, the hand and the stop. It'll more than likely be a sloppy fit at best and at worst the gun could lock up or break the hand.   

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 06:00:38 PM »
Yeah, say interpolate three times fast.... ::)

Still a beauty, I see the "potential" in a "weaker extractor design"....Especially in the heat of competition and reloading.

However, it's still a S&W, and a bad a** one at that. Contact S&W's Performance center, be the squeaky wheel, and I bet they will make it right.

Not saying they didn't do it right, as a good n hot range report would be needed. But if "you" don't find it acceptable, S&W will make sure to keep you as a faithful customer.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:47:15 PM »

Timothy

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 06:07:25 PM »
Interpolate, interpolate, interpolate...    ;D

verb

1.  to introduce (something additional or extraneous) between other things or parts; interject; interpose; intercalate.
2.  Mathematics . to insert, estimate, or find an intermediate term in a sequence.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 06:09:42 PM »
Interpolate, interpolate, interpolate...    ;D

verb

1.  to introduce (something additional or extraneous) between other things or parts; interject; interpose; intercalate.
2.  Mathematics . to insert, estimate, or find an intermediate term in a sequence.

smarty-pants...... ;D
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 06:14:06 PM »
<This will come in installments.>   

Today I took possession of a brand NIB Smith and Wesson 625JM. 

Alf, have you considered getting professional help? I mean, for the whole wheel gun thing? ?  And maybe for the Glock obsession too?

I hear they have wonderful treatment programs at the Sig Academy . . . . .   ;)

Nice gun. Not my style, but nice gun.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
The square shape to the extractor just looks wrong no matter what the reason is. Other than that I like it.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 08:22:45 PM »
Absolutely beautiful revolver. Not sure if I would want to use it for competition. Too pretty to get dirty!  ;D Hope you get it fixed the way you want it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk