Author Topic: Treating a leather holster  (Read 17678 times)

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Treating a leather holster
« on: February 02, 2010, 04:47:22 PM »
I have a Galco summer comfort holster for my M&P and I worried that I need to do something to the inside lining. After carrying the gun for 8 hours I pull it out to see the slide with a heavy grey/white discoloration. I run some Rem Oil on a rag on the slide and it's back to normal. Is there something I need to do to moisturize the leather on the inside of the holster where is rough for retention. The outside is perfect like when I bought it. I don't have any leather cleaning supplies so home remedies would be great.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"If you know your enemy is bringing a gun to the fight, bring 2..."
http://www.youtube.com/natetinstman  -
Save $10 on your NRA membership by going to http://garand4life.wordpress.com

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Treating a leather holster
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 05:03:29 PM »
A very small ammount of glycerin rubbed in on the inside works.  galco even sells it.

on the plus side it also gives off that "leather smell"   which I dig.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 05:12:45 PM »
Where would I find glycerin? Is it something you would normally have laying around the house? I'm not well versed in chemicals I guess you could say, sorry.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 05:20:19 PM »
Where would I find glycerin? Is it something you would normally have laying around the house? I'm not well versed in chemicals I guess you could say, sorry.

Should be able to find it in most drug stores....try the first aid section.
If that fails, try a craft store because it is a chief ingredient in homemade soap.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 05:23:54 PM »
Saddle soap works good, found at tack and feed stores.  Small dab on a terry cloth or cotton towel light rubbing in circles.

Should have a leather resin, for horse bridles, reigns, leather saddle straps, that is a great moisturizer. Kinda like shoe polish, can;t remember the name of it from my ol' horse days...

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:00:10 PM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 05:25:21 PM »
Saddle soap works good, found at tack and feed stores.  Small dab on a terry cloth or cotton towel light rubbing in circles.

Should have a leather resin, for horse bridles, reigns, leather saddle straps, that is a great moisturizer. Kinda like shoe polish, can;t remember the name of it from my ol' horse days...

Justin makes one called "Boot Balm" or "Leather Balm"....any good boot store ar farm supply should have something similar.

http://www.lbswesternstore.com/bosuca.html

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 05:43:24 PM »
most gun shops that sell lots of holsters also have it.  Trackor supply, most feed stores, etc etc

I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 07:18:10 PM »
Lexol... a leather oil/ treatment./color]
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 08:22:21 PM »
Careful, as most leather products, make the leather softer, and limper, and it will lose it's shape and character. I use Silicon spray, not the lubricant which is greasy. Works wonders. Keep treating the firearm with rust preventers.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 08:38:25 PM »
I wouldn't mind too much if the leather loosened up. It's a really tight fit on my M&P.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk