Author Topic: FNP-45  (Read 5983 times)

outrider

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
FNP-45
« on: December 31, 2011, 10:30:50 AM »
Howdy Gents,

I know I mentioned this project to a few of you via PM's.  The project was for an Askins Style holster for an FNP-45 Tactical w/ extended barrel (for a suppressor) and a flashlight/laser combo.

This is one huge pistol and the holster is that much larger.  In order to accomodate the light the main seam had to be straight therefore I had to install a stop at the bottom of the holster to keep the gun from sliding to far out the bottom.

Anyway...this is a prototype and any comments for areas of improvement are more than welcome
Proprietor:  Outrider Gun Leather
Outrider (Formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA)
SASS #2353
BOLD 895
Custom Leathersmith

outrider

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: FNP-45
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 10:33:06 AM »
Here is a shot of the "stop screw" which is covered with clear fishtank tubing to prevent any damage to the gun
SASS #2353
BOLD 895
Custom Leathersmith

kid terico

• Kid Terico
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 11:07:25 AM »
Outrider I think you put a lot of time and thought into this holster. It paid off. The design is nice and functional. Makeing a holster that large is hard not to make it look bulky which you got around nicely. For what my opinion is worth I like it very much. Maybe make the outside a little more ornate. You got my VOTE  KT

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 11:22:58 AM »
outrider, did you build it for someone?  If so, how do they like it?  If it is for you, have you had a chance to try it out?  The Avenger style is one of my favorites...yours looks great, especially for such a big pistol!

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 11:40:33 AM »
My son has an FNP-45 and it is a huge piece.  I'm going to have him look at this.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:09:26 PM »

outrider

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 11:56:24 AM »
Ellis,

I built this for one of the local gun shops.  Again it is a prototype and I am looking into ideas of how to make it better...I have not heard any feed back from the end user as he is away and has not seen it yet.

SASS #2353
BOLD 895
Custom Leathersmith

Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Very Active Forum Member
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 12:59:23 PM »
Very good Outrider!
It looks well thought out, and I hope it works as good as it looks!
DM
Proprietor of Plum Creek Leather Works - Old West Gunleather
http://www.freewebs.com/daltonmasterson/plumcreekleatherworks.htm
Friend of www.runniron.com
SASS #51139L
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 02:18:58 PM »
Big deal, will it do this ?

;D

Slowhand Bob

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 03:59:51 PM »
A couple of thoughts on your stop screw.  I have recently started using a black fuel line rubber tubing to replace the clear lighter weight type.  It looks very much like the black rubber spacers Bianchi used on his tensioning devices and has about the same compressibility.   I guess my next observation turns into more of a question, is it strictly a stop or does it serve as a tension device also?

I wish we could come up with the plastic composition that has become so popular for embossing plates and rolls, it would be excellent for casting the less common guns we get occasionally.   

rayban

• Forum Member
    • RG Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 06:47:08 AM »
I'm working on a similar project and the owner of the gun is concerned with retention, so for now we've agreed on a thumb-break.
I see there is no retention feature built into your design (that I can see, anyway).....is that because the gun is big enough that gravity will suffice?

Also, we discussed the gun sliding through, so we decided to simply stitch the bottom closed. Was there ever any thought given to that? The screw seems like one of those "just another part to worry about" things.

Thanks,
RG
Rayban

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk