Author Topic: Hammer Follow...  (Read 3787 times)

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hammer Follow...
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 10:58:01 PM »
Yes Tex, it can cause an AD, or make it go full auto. On a 1911, after a trigger job, the smithy should warn you never to drop the slide on a empty chamber, without keeping the trigger pulled back to engage the disconnector, not only to prevent an AD, but to protect the trigger job, pull weights in the 3.5 lb + range won't really suffer from this, but under that,  the sear will beat itself up against the hammer hooks.

Striker fired guns can do it too, although it is tougher, I will say again as it's been a long time since this was discussed, on a Glock, do not remove ANY metal from the bottom of the striker, or doubling or tripling or worse can occur.

When the slide is released with a round in the magazine it slows down the slide and that's why it may happen in dry fire or just slide cycling, but not when when actually shooting.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

TexGun

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hammer Follow...
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 11:08:39 PM »
So, for example, in a dry fire drill where you pull the trigger and hold it down and rack the slide in order to get a feel of the first "catch" when relasing the trigger so as not to allow the trigger to travel all the way forward... Is this an example of when hammer follow might occur given the relatively slower more diliberate movement of the slide?  The sear might not engage as it would in a normal shooting situation? This has happend to me with my SIG 229.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk