Author Topic: Summer!  (Read 11466 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1108
Re: Summer!
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2018, 08:59:15 PM »
It sounds like Chicago sucks even worse than I thought it did. I'm glad it's not that bad here. There's a small pile of rust in my driveway right under the edge of the driver's side door. I never had that happen before with any vehicle, not even this one, but 18 winters can do that, especially if you don't wash the salt off.

I haven't had the flu in so many years I couldn't even tell you what decade it was. My immune system seems to be functioning. When I was married there were a few weeks straight that my wife and I keep giving each other a cold or possibly a mild case of flu. When you're on each other as much as we were it's hard to avoid germs. I was sick, but I wasn't too sick, if you know what I mean. That was sometime in the early '90s. I may have gotten the flu sometime in the last 25 years, but I couldn't say when. Certainly no time since I started getting annual flu shots. I coughed some last winter and may have had a bit of a cold. I had to throw away all my expired cold medicine and didn't buy anything to replace it, just 2 bags of cough drops. My knees have been screwed up since I was a kid but the cold never makes it any worse. Better maybe, but not worse. Ice packs would feel good on them right now.

Some people here put their boats away after Labor Day weekend and don't use them again until Memorial Day weekend. Other people get more use out of them. It's the same for ATVs too. There are only 91 days of summer but spring and fall generally aren't too bad. We have 4 seasons in a year here, not just 1 or 2, and I don't need to run the air conditioner or the furnace a lot of days. That heat advisory we just had was the first one in almost 2 years. I bet there were some days during the last 2 years that it was too hot outside in Arizona.

A couple of days ago I saw something I thought was a mosquito at first, but it was small. If it was a mosquito it's the first one I've seen since last year.

Don't ask me what year it was the last time I took any of my guns out and wiped them down. :-[ Sometimes I look at them to see if they're still okay, but that's about it.

We get 32 inches of rain per year here. The U.S. average is 39. The number of days with any measurable precipitation is 68. The U.S. average is 102. Better than average here on both counts. On average, there are 169 sunny days per year, and the July high is around 82 degrees. I can tolerate a few 82 degree days as long as it cools off at night. The January low is 15 degrees at night, when I'm sleeping and don't give a bleep what the temperature is. I live in a house with a furnace, not on the street, so it doesn't matter.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2018, 06:01:01 PM »
I got my June gas and electric bill Saturday. My electric use went up over 80% in a single month. :'( Every bit of that extra use was air conditioning. Global warming or not, that's already higher than any month last year, including August, which was the highest month by far. It's actually worse than that, since I haven't used my porch light in months, and I did most nights last year. Since we have summer rates, anything over 600 kWh per month is charged at a higher rate, and mine was 934. It was less than 700 last June. No doubt about it, Summer is here, and it looks like it's going to be a hot one.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2018, 09:48:03 PM »
spent Sunday plumbing in a tee in the fuel line of my inverter gen set so I can run it from a squeeze bulb/siphon system like I use on my larger Honda... during Irma it allowed me to furnish power to three homes to keep the refrigerators up, using gas from the home owners bulk cans... the inverter was contained in a case, so had to remove the case to get access to the feed line between the shut off and the fuel pump, so it took about 2 hours... nothing strenuous physically, but the temp around noon was around 93F...I was really exhausted from just being outside working in the shade of a tree.

test ran the inverter gen set today....with a 2gal external fuel can and spout adapted to hold the line more secure and waterproof with a couple of PVC elbows, it should give me all night ceiling fan, TV, computer, and refrigerator... considerably quieter than the older 240v system... if not, the 5 gal cans are available... I don't like to hot fuel

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2018, 11:56:59 AM »
Temps in the upper 90's here in south GA, and high humidity makes outside functions miserable. The heat index the last few days has been hovering near 110° F. It's supposed to "cool off" toward the weekend, meaning low 90's.
At least we have shade on the house, from large pecan trees, for 3/4 of the day which helps considerably.
Every 4 to 5 years the month of June is our hottest average month instead of August.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2018, 05:28:54 PM »
AFAIK it only got up to 80 today and it's on the way down for the evening. It felt like 80-82 because of the humidity which isn't bad. Thunderstorms are in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow with lows in the 60s 3 nights in a row. That's going feel a lot better, but Saturday is going to suck. It's supposed to be 96 degrees with 62% humidity. That will make the heat index 118, then the humidity is supposed to go up to 77% at night. If it didn't cool off that would make the heat index 135 degrees instead of 76 at night.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 10:54:36 AM »

Timothy

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2018, 05:58:21 PM »
I turned the heat on in my car this am...

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2018, 06:11:18 PM »
4:10 PM and it's 112 as I type this. Humidity is 9%.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2018, 07:49:16 AM »
4:10 PM and it's 112 as I type this. Humidity is 9%.

Bill, I'd take humidity in the 50% range and be happy here on the other side of the river.

I know heat is heat, and 112° is hot, but does humidity that low make it easier to breathe?
The humidity levels here, once above about 80% on a 90° day, makes breathing seem like you're sucking air through a drinking straw.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2018, 08:51:38 AM »
I know heat is heat, and 112° is hot, but does humidity that low make it easier to breathe?

Yes, much easier. Plus you don't sweat unless you really exert yourself. That is a two edged sword, because while you don't get all sticky and wet, you can very easily dehydrate because you don't feel that "hot". So it's very important to consume a lot of fluids and water.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2018, 02:22:29 PM »
Right now ,1230 it's 74, only suppose too be 82.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk