Author Topic: Consider this #5: storing go-to firearms in the home  (Read 5162 times)

Robin

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Consider this #5: storing go-to firearms in the home
« on: January 02, 2009, 12:54:22 PM »
I don't like relying on security through obscurity as the only means of keeping weapons secure. This applies to both weapons on your person as well as in your home, but that's another topic.

Many states have laws requiring firearms be kept locked in your home if you have kids. Even if you don't have kids there's always the chance someone else's kids or a friend clueless about firearm safety finds a hidden firearm. Products like the GunVault still provide quick access while helping prevent tragic accidents.

Keep in mind small weapon safes are only designed to keep out casual observers. It's very easy for a burglar to pry open the door or just rip out the entire safe and open it later. A hidden weapon safe may not be totally secure but it's the best that can be done.

I have and like the GunVault. If you get one, buy the deluxe model that uses both batteries and external power. Don't rely on just one power souce.

Biometric devices may be neato tech but (at least right know) it isn't reliable enough to trust your life with. If your finger is too dry, too wet or positioned wrong it won't work.

The GunVault has buttons in four grooves you put your fingers in. The idea is you place your entire hand on the safe and then tap out the combination. I don't know about current production, but before the company was bought by Cannon the deluxe model allowed you to enter three different combinations. I chose three combinations (eg. 1-2-1-2, 2-3-2-3 and 3-4-3-4) that would allow me to enter the code without having to position my entire hand first. In a panic situation any time you can save is good.

1776 Rebel

Re: Neat trick #5: storing go-to firearms in the home
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 02:35:13 PM »
Biometric devices may be neato tech but (at least right know) it isn't reliable enough to trust your life with. If your finger is too dry, too wet or positioned wrong it won't work.

Talked to the president of one of the biometric equipped gun cases (I will leave out the brand). He told me that the recognition is about 90% on first time try. I nearly laughed in his face. That is all you need when someone is about to decapitate you. "hold on please I have to try my biometric lock again".

As MB has shown by the mistake of having an electronic lock on his Cannon Safe, if you need access, go with simple. I like the v-line products. They have very simple cypher locks. That is what my shotgun sits behind. 

Joe 90

• Forum Member
  • “Predictable is preventable.” Gordon Graham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Biometric safes
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 03:06:48 PM »
As the owner of two "state of the art" finger print reading, biometric safes I can safely say that I do not depend upon them opening the "first time, every time" in a stressful situation.  They have be relegated to less emergent firearm storage.

dfl

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk