Author Topic: Episode #2  (Read 5985 times)

GASPASSERDELUXE

Episode #2
« on: January 07, 2009, 06:46:48 PM »
It was a good show but what would have made it better is having the picture and the sound sycronized together. The sound started about 5 seconds after the mouths started moving, often after there was a scene change.

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Episode #2
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 12:27:36 AM »
Gasp,

Yes, that was a problem on the broadcast end with the earliest show. It was corrected in the second two airings.... Sorry you had to deal with that.

I got home from a late work day and had the same version on my DVR!  It was a bit of a pain to follow!

-RJP

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Episode #2
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 12:33:12 AM »
I caught that, but just listened and watched like someone else was in the room describing what was going on, and it came across just fine. It did make me worry something was out of sync, with my own equipment though, but the shows before and after were fine.

30 lashes with kite string to those responsible.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Episode #2
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 10:45:45 AM »
It was like watching a foreign film.......I recorded the episode but as I had a very difficult time following what was going on I decided to re-record both Shooting Gallery (which also had a problem in the first broadcast, i.e. a split screen thing going on throughout the episode) and The Best Defense.  I was really looking forward and waiting to see the segment on the sheetrock testing following Rob's heads up on this issue.  I figured I'll catch it later......no such luck.  Our east coast ice storm knocked out the Direct TV Outdoor Channel from 4pm until midnight, so I missed both rebroadcasts....... :'( :'( :'(

Rob, can you summarize the findings from the test as I have no way of seeing the show and the "foreign film" version I originally recorded got recorded over with a blank screen.

Many thanks.
Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

Rob Pincus

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Episode #2
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 11:26:47 AM »
CDR,

It was a short (Typical TV) version of the tests. Phil Strader shot a 9mm, .45acp, .223 ball, #4 buck and birdshot into drywall sections and analyzed their penetration through multiple sections. Much of the educational info also came from the conversation between Phil and I (Phil is also former LE as well as being a successful competitive shooter) about our previous tests, observations and research.

I watched this edit version late last night for the first time, as I recall:

The 9mm penetrated furthest with the least deviation.
The .45 acp was next.
The .223 show significant yawing, loss of energy and deviation much more quickly than the pistol bullets, but because it was not HP or TAP did not break up in a similar way, which we mentioned.
The 00 Buck penetrated significantly more and carried more energy than the birdshot.

We also shot the birdshot into the badguy reactive target at typical room defense distance to show the size of the pattern and indicate the massive damage that would be likely from that round under those circumstances.

We are working on getting a much longer version as a BONUS on the Best Defense website.

-RJP

[edited to correct the shot size in original post]

Sponsor

Re: Episode #2
« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:17:34 AM »

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Episode #2
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 11:59:34 AM »
Excellent recap Rob.....thanks so much.

So if you had used the 55 gr. Hornady TAP .223 round in your demonstration, would the results have shown penetration going beyond the first piece of sheetrock or would it have fragmented at point of impact?  Just wondering what your precise findings were with this TAP round.

Thanks again Rob for great information.  It looks like the AR with the proper round is a very viable home defense weapon.
Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

Rob Pincus

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Episode #2
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 01:28:43 PM »
.223 TAP DEFINITELY would've gone through the first wall section in that type of test (two spaced sheet-rock pieces)... after that, it begins to tumble and break up. Most of the  time, there is not significant weight/energy indicated by the tests after the second wall section.

-RJP

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Episode #2
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 02:39:45 PM »
.223 TAP DEFINITELY would've gone through the first wall section in that type of test (two spaced sheet-rock pieces)... after that, it begins to tumble and break up. Most of the  time, there is not significant weight/energy indicated by the tests after the second wall section.

-RJP

Understood Rob....thanks. 

Based on your experience, would you feel that a missed shot with this 55 gr .223  Hornady TAP round that enters into an adjacent room could cause significant injury to an individual or would it have fragmented to the point that a significant injury would be unlikely?

Thanks again

Rob Pincus

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Episode #2
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 11:34:32 PM »
As was covered in the other thread, every wall and angle is going to be different.  That said, YES, I do think the round would pose a threat to someone through one typical wall section based on what I've seen in tests.

-RJP

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk