Author Topic: Real world defense and tactics  (Read 9864 times)

wisconsin

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Real world defense and tactics
« on: January 09, 2009, 05:38:18 PM »
I hope that the Best Defense will take into consideration that states like mine ( Wisconsin) don't allow alot of defensive measure that are allowed in other states. I was lucky to have been raised with a LEO and lucky enough to have worked for the MPD in civilian support capacity. So I saw more of the real world than anyone I know. The first Best Defense series dealt with alot of things you can do for securing your home. But what do you do outside of your home if you live in my state or say Ill. Up until a few year ago pepper spray was not allowed. CCW is not allowed. Mace I believe is still not allowed. Although I don't know why anyone would use it. Tazers are not. Certain blade sizes are not allowed. My point is any info is always helpful. But you guys are way up the ladder of training and I hope that you don't lose sight of the average gal/guys. We operate day to day on the lower part of that ladder and as I found out with my friends and family. They give me blank stare when I tell them how to be proactive with thier personal defense. Scares me to think that they need to learn a lesson the hard way. Which will be the dead way if you ask me.
" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."   John Wayne

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
Re: Real world defense and tactics
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 07:04:25 PM »
Absolutely, Wisconsin.

If you read through the threads in the TBD forum, you'll see that we are trying to appeal to as broad an audience as possible. While each show does feature some firearms, but just about every show features unarmed defense and improvised self defense as well.

You might check out Mike Janich's book, "Forever Armed" as well for more creative ideas about staying ready in any environment.

Thanks for Watching.

-RJP

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 08:49:33 PM »
Or you might move to a state that doesn't prefer criminals over tax payers. Even Ca.NY and Ma. have legal concealed carry.
Your legislators must think you are more prone to violent crime.
Is it the cheese ?  ;D

5thprofession47

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 10:04:55 AM »
I have often employed the Socratic method when dealing with friends or family give me thos blank stares. I ask them if they have a fire extinguisher or locks on their doors. I ask them if they have health insurance/auto insurance or savings for a 'rainy day' in the bank. My point in asking these kinds of questions is this; savings, insurance and safety equipment are all things we have but hope we won't need. Just like self-protection skills, they are important to have and maintain.

MBC Certified Instructor

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:48:59 AM »

PoorSoulInJersey

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 10:14:13 AM »
Jersey is the same way. No CCW (heck, no JHP either!), no stun gun. no mace., no BB guns... my only portable defense is my Ka-bar, which I'd rather not stake my life on.
-Tom

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 11:37:42 AM »
Or you might move to a state that doesn't prefer criminals over tax payers. Even Ca.NY and Ma. have legal concealed carry.
Your legislators must think you are more prone to violent crime.
Is it the cheese ?  ;D

I caught a little flack over my earlier post, so I want to clarify my meaning.
While I phrased it sarcastically, changing location is the most basic action you can take to enhance your personal security. If all your neighbors are jailbirds, felons and drug dealers, you may want to move to a better neighbor hood. If your state does not allow you the civil right of self defense you might want to move to one that does. In your situation, (state deprives you of right to self defense) you MUST brace your representatives as to WHY you are deprived of a Constitutional  Right enjoyed by citizens of 47 other  states.

I have often employed the Socratic method when dealing with friends or family give me thos blank stares. I ask them if they have a fire extinguisher or locks on their doors. I ask them if they have health insurance/auto insurance or savings for a 'rainy day' in the bank. My point in asking these kinds of questions is this; savings, insurance and safety equipment are all things we have but hope we won't need. Just like self-protection skills, they are important to have and maintain.

Spare tire, same type of thing

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 02:48:57 PM »
I used to travel a bunch in what we euphemistically call the Third World...my standard operating procedure was whenever I arrived in a new place, I took a look at what the locals were carrying, or allowed to carry. Then I'd go get one of those. In parts of Central America every campesina carried a cheap machete...so did I. Canes, walking sticks, cheap dive knives in communities on the coast...I once wore a North Face jacket and hiked around Mexico City with an ice axe. One of the local cops even complimented me on such a "fine tool." You betcha! Any kind of cheap aluminum Maglite knockoff. Hatchets when traveling in a car. Farm stores were always a godsend! In short, any tool is better than no tool.

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

Michael Janich

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 09:43:06 AM »
Dear Wisconsin:

Trust me, we have not forgotten you.

The progression of topics of the first season starts with defense of the home. We then move out to the street and emphasize awareness, avoidance, deescalation, and boundary-setting skills as the "outer layers" of a good personal defense system. All of that is universal and applies to everyone everywhere.

As we get deeper into the physical skills, we will certainly share gun stuff, but we will also address basic empty-hand fighting skills, the use of improvised weapons (especially flashlights), and the use of the cane/walking staff. These segments should be right up your alley.

Rob was kind enough to mention my DVD "Forever Armed," available from Stay Safe Media (www.staysafemedia.com). It is a complete course in improvised weapon tactics and would probably be worth studying. I also have a cane-oriented DVD titled "Martial Cane Concepts" that offers sound, easily learned cane tactics. That, plus the phrase "American Disabilities Act" make it one of the most powerful and PC defensive tools available.

I lived and traveled extensively in Asia back when I was working for the government. I couldn't own or carry a gun and in many cases (working in refugee camps, detention centers, and as a member of "humanitarian" missions) I couldn't legally carry weapons. I spent a lot of time training and problem solving during that period with a heavy focus on "non-permissive" environments. The resources mentioned above are based on that experience and the lessons learned.

With all that said, I also grew up in Illinois. I wouldn't move back there if you paid me...

Stay safe,

Mike

walangkatapat

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 02:46:56 PM »
Thanks for your show! A co worker of mine had an incident with an intruder at her home just last week , so I turned her onto to your new show.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk