Author Topic: Episode 10: Safe In The Backcountry  (Read 28422 times)

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
Episode 10: Safe In The Backcountry
« on: March 04, 2009, 04:09:38 AM »

There are a number of reasons to be prepared for defense at your home, office or while on the streets. But as more and more of us venture into the backcountry for hiking, camping or any type of outdoor activity, the same precautions we take in our homes and city need to apply while in the outdoors. Maybe even more so. When you are in the backcountry, you are less likely to receive assistance in a timely matter. And the danger from predators, both four legged and two legged, needs to be taken into consideration.

Airtime: Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Rerun: Wednesday, June 3, 2009

http://www.downrange.tv/bestdefense/episode10.htm

From the Mailbox

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Episode 10: Safe In The Backcountry
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 05:28:14 PM »

Date: 3/4/2009 5:06:11 PM

Hi Mike:

Mike, this last show was one of the best we have seen.  We really like the down to earth shows, the ones we can relate to, like hiking or walking in public parks, and places where you might not expect to see 2 legged predators.  Keep up the good work, and thank you for the great show.

Warmest regards, John & Sharen J.
DRTV, Shooting Gallery & Cowboys receive 100s of emails daily. Some are posted on this forum so our members can reply and make comments. Unfortunately, we are not able to answer them all, but we do try. Thank you. DRTV Staff.

From the Mailbox

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 05:29:38 PM »

Hi, Mike,
This week's "Best Defense" was very good and appropriate for me.
I gotta ask:  Did that goofy little boy in your lead-in ever catch a bug in his gaping mouth?  Did he swallow it or spit it out?
I just have to know.

The  program on shooting .22s was useful, too.  With the cost of ammunition sky-rocketing, .22s are a great way to go.  Incidentally, InSights Training, in Bellevue, WA, is allowing .22s in some of their classes this year, for the first time.
Sean R.
DRTV, Shooting Gallery & Cowboys receive 100s of emails daily. Some are posted on this forum so our members can reply and make comments. Unfortunately, we are not able to answer them all, but we do try. Thank you. DRTV Staff.

From the Mailbox

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 07:28:01 PM »

Date: 3/4/2009 7:03:56 PM

Hello,

First I just wanted to say thank you for creating such a great series.  I have really enjoyed all of the episodes.  Being a Utah (Salt Lake City) native, I have also enjoyed that you guys are here quite frequently.

I wanted to point out one thing from the Back Country episode that I felt was missing.  In previous episodes there has been talk about engaging emergency services and how to work with a 911 operator.  Unfortunately in this episode there was no talk about what to do after an incident.  If you are forced into a situation where a shot is taken, what is next?  Do you leave the person there and then hike out to the nearest communication point and then report the incident?

I am a ham radio operator and always carry FRS/GMRS and Amateur Radios with me when I am out.  But even then there may not be others listening.

I would be interested in your thoughts....

Thanks again for the great show!

-Brett N.

D-Man

• Active Forum Member
    • 5 Arrows Tactical
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 08:46:54 PM »
Loved the episode.  As someone who is constantly in the backcountry, it is very relevant.  Granted most of the time I am hunting in the backcountry and carry a weapon all the time.  I was surprised that they didn't talk about shoulder holster carry.  That is my preferred carry, especially with a backpack on.  It is out of the way, and even with a light shirt it is covered and I carry a full sized .45.  Lastly in regards to the warning shots at animals.  In states where hunting cats is illegal, they don't run away from warning shots, or if they have rabies, they will keep coming in.  At that point, you need to put them down!  Have had a few mtn. lions come in over the years while hunting and hiking.  They tend to appear at 30 feet and they will close in quickly.

Still a great episode!  Thanks again for the wonderful series.

Darren

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor / NRA Personal Protection Inside the Home / NRA Metallic & Shotgun Reloading / NRA RSO

UT/FL/VA Certified CCW Instructor

http://www.5arrowstactical.com/

http://twitter.com/5ArrowsTactical

http://www.nevadabackcountrytours.com/

Semper Fidelis!

Blessed be the Lord my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle - Psalm 144:1

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:10:25 AM »

JRW1911

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 10:54:52 PM »
I noticed Michael mentioned bags that are useful for caring handguns and that there are  a lot of these bags available as sporting goods stores.  I have recently purchased a bag from http://www.maxpedition.com/ which allows a handgun to be stored and carried concealed very easily.  Maxpedition does offer several different sized cross rigs as well as a gun slinger version of a back pack.   I purchased the Jumbo Versipack to carry a H&K USP Tactical which I have since gotten ride of due to it being too big to carry but I can say that a full sized glock to a 4 inch full sized revolver.

genoanv

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 11:14:10 PM »
Enjoyed the backcountry show - a lot of good info. One thing that you could have hit on a bit more - it is illegal anywhere in California, as far as I am aware, to carry concealed, including on public lands. There are a lot of hiking trails in the Sierra, and open carry is pretty much a requirement if you're going to carry a firearm at all. I open carry when riding an ATV, and have never had a problem with it. I'd rather somebody see that I have a weapon - might make them think twice before starting something. You're right on about a wheel gun - an S&W Mod. 60, 2 1/8" barrel in .357 mag is my choice - surprisingly easy to shoot well and enough power for most critters.

Hottrockin

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Be wise, use every advantage!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 04:35:47 AM »
One thing that you could have hit on a bit more - it is illegal anywhere in California, as far as I am aware, to carry concealed, including on public lands.

It would be a day long show if they'd go through each state of when and where you could carry.  Each person would need to know the local, state and federal laws for their own place / situation.  Here's a site that might help some >>  http://www.nra-ila.com/ .

Another great show guys!  I especially liked how Rob subtly referenced the balance of speed & precision as well as deviation control into the segment.  Both very important topics, you can listen to this podcast for more info >>  http://switchpod.com/p13003.html .
NRA Member

TheBowhunter

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 06:48:45 AM »
I liked this episode and want to congradulate Rod for his comment about not wanting to shooting animals.That was a good point to make Also you may be fined big time by state game wardensjust for shooting them even if you do not bring it home with you and that be all  I wont try to elleberate on this. But You can shoot, shout, and wave your arms most of the time that will scare them away.
I know there are only two reasons for cats to attack
1. stalk their prey for food and
2. to play they have to be mighty hungry to stalk a human. But if they think it is play time most likely you can scare them off.
Right now I live in Kansas but I grew up in Utah and lived in colorado for a while, I have some cool photos  of them.
  When out and about which I was allot while trapping coyotes and bobcats we seen plenty cats out and around and if you did not see one you could bet they are there somewhere lurking in the underbrush.

Parrotthead

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 08:17:29 AM »
My first post and I must say I love this series and look forward to viewing each week. The topics are applicable to me and my family's safety and security concerns. While I enjoy the "other" shows that demonstrate how to clear a huval in Fallujah (this is very interesting) it simply has very little relevance to what may happen in my own home or my community.

Specific to last nights episode;

I noticed for the first time on this series a discussion about cross-draw carry rigs. This kinda suprised me because I had got the impression that the experts on the show tended to discourage this in favor of the inside or outside strong side belt holster. I must admit that when I first obtained my legal concealed carry permit I carried hammer down on an empty chamber, loaded magazine in a cross-draw vest. After a little time and some professional instruction I realized I was not really "carrying" a concealed weapon but instead just "transporting" a weapon concealed. I also understand that carrying in such a manner can expose a lot of what you don't need to shoot to potential muzzle sweep on the draw (even more likely in a stressful, hostile encounter). So, I guess my question is what changed in last nights scenerio that makes a cross-draw rig more acceptable and do the experts consider a cross-draw rig appropriate for daily carry on trips to the "quiki-mart"?

Thank you again for all the efforts and intentions with the show.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk