Author Topic: Episode 10: Safe In The Backcountry  (Read 28423 times)

From the Mailbox

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Episode 10: Safe In The Backcountry
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 09:01:43 AM »

Date: 3/5/2009 7:45:57 AM

I was really hoping you can tell me the name, brand or item number for the shoulder holster in the back country episode that was on yesterday the 4th. the one man said he liked the cross draw holster but I really liked the other mans holster because it held the pistol kind of upside down and held it at rib level but almost in front of his stomach. I never seen a shoulder rig like that and it looked very comfortable. I didn’t catch the brand name and I have been looking for one all night. please help me out.

RICHARD G.
DRTV, Shooting Gallery & Cowboys receive 100s of emails daily. Some are posted on this forum so our members can reply and make comments. Unfortunately, we are not able to answer them all, but we do try. Thank you. DRTV Staff.

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 09:03:22 AM »

Richard,

The shoulder rig Rob used can be found here: http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm

From the Mailbox

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »

Date: 3/5/2009 8:21:40 AM
Subject: holsters

In last nights 'TBD', Michael had on a possibly REI waist bag, man-bag he said, suitable for his revolver...what kind/model was it. Also, my friend Rob Pincus had on a chest rig for his revolver...please tell me what make/model that was. We appreciate your endeavor and your help. Thank you. 

Tom T.
DRTV, Shooting Gallery & Cowboys receive 100s of emails daily. Some are posted on this forum so our members can reply and make comments. Unfortunately, we are not able to answer them all, but we do try. Thank you. DRTV Staff.

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 09:19:29 AM »

For the chest rig, see link above.

Michael used the safe packer found here: http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=51

metamurph

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 09:38:37 AM »
I wanted to point out one thing from the Back Country episode that I felt was missing.  In previous episodes there has been talk about engaging emergency services and how to work with a 911 operator.  Unfortunately in this episode there was no talk about what to do after an incident.  If you are forced into a situation where a shot is taken, what is next?  Do you leave the person there and then hike out to the nearest communication point and then report the incident?

This is the same thing I thought, especially when there was a pack, the other two didn't flee, you don't want to just back away depending on the terrain and you could be many miles from phone service.  Of course there are other "pre-hike" items: don't go alone for one.  This is also an issue where you may be outgunned because you may while enjoying say the Pacific Coast Trail run into the drug runner so there are a lot of potential issues.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 01:29:47 PM »

Morgan Walker

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 10:17:37 AM »
Being from Idaho, I have found myself staring eye to eye with some pretty ugly four legged, and 2 legged animals.  What I would like to know is what model of Smith and Wesson was Michael Bane was shooting.  I believe the caliber was a .44 magnum, Airlite.  I thought it was a great show, really thought it hit on some very key points in defense tactics in the wild.

Thanks

Morgan

Michael Janich

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 10:38:36 AM »
So, I guess my question is what changed in last nights scenerio that makes a cross-draw rig more acceptable and do the experts consider a cross-draw rig appropriate for daily carry on trips to the "quiki-mart"?

Dear Parrotthead:

Thanks for posting and for your support of the show. In response to your question, Rob and Mike both referenced that a crossdraw has special appeal when operating in the backcountry because it's more confortable and accessible when riding a horse or an ATV. It also presents the gun at an angle that works around the straps of most backpacks (try drawing from an IWB in a 5 o'clock position when wearing a backpack!).

I agree that in such circumstances, the crossdraw really shines. For urban concealed carry, the crossdraw can still be a viable choice--as long as you work to develop the tactics and sound gunhandling to go with it. Rob demonstrated in the show how the draw from the chest rig (a form of crossdraw) "fed into" the same flow of movement of a strong-side draw by clearing the holster and bringing the gun near the right hip. That's a proper technique and a great low-profile, sneaky draw if you need it. Unfortunately, I've seen some crossdraw technique that looks more like someone watering his lawn than drawing a firearm.

Train hard and smart enough and you can make it work.

Stay safe,

Mike

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 10:44:09 AM »
Thanks, all!

I so wish these shows were an hour...or even 2! The hardest thing in planning TBD episodes is what to leave "on the floor."  Lemme throw in another plug for my book TRAIL SAFE, which is now officially in production...hopefully, we'll have copies at the NRA Show in Phoenix...and YES, we will have special pricing for DRTV Forum members!

The communication issue in the backcountry is huge and complex...for example, in the encounter with the poacher I've mentioned on the forums, my Sweetie and I were hours and hours into a "speed hike" deep in the wild mountains on the Colorado/New Mexico border. I contacted the ranger when we got out of the mountains, but it was a long lag time.

I usually carry a cell phone — an iPhone with GPS and trail mapping apps — but here in the mountains it often gets no service or can't "see" the GPS sats. I would say that generally if you have an encounter that did not end in gunfire or a physical attack on what we might think of as an urban trail or within an hour of the trailhead where you parked — the most likely cases — break off the hike, return to your car and notify the authorities (and any other hikers you encounter on the way back to the trailhead).

If a shot has been fired or you are involved in a physical altercation, you MUST immediately get to a place where you can notify rangers AND law enforcement. You have a responsibility to other people on the trail as well as your own legal liability. As my old friend Mas Ayoob has said repeatedly, often the first person to contact the authorities is seen as the "good guy."

If you have been involved in an encounter of any kind, especially a "Code Black" situation and you are retreating to the trailhead to call the authorities or to find help, remember that you are involved in an "armed retreat"...that is, you are AT RISK the whole length of the retreat. That means your awareness must be peaked, your primary weapon needs to be either immediately accessible or in your hand (depending on the trail...on a scrambling trail you might need both your hands to work your way down), and you need to briefly stop, calm and center yourself and access your surroundings, especially your "6." Are you being followed? Are there parallel trails or cross trails where you could be ambushed? Does you cell phone work? Do you need to leave any heavy gear behind so you can move faster/more sure-footedly (remember,you can always get new stuff; it's harder to get a new life)? Do you need to recheck how gear is hanging, an issue if you left the scene of the altercation quickly and under pressure)...even to the point of checking your show laces! A rugged trail has more risks for the unwary than just bad people.

Remember, at this point, you are in "Indian Country," and you need to rely on your every skill to get you home.

And remember to build those skills. I live up here. I like the bear who lives in the backyard and I've come to grips with the cats. I have very good backcountry skills and have spent time, sometimes all alone, in some very rugged, inhospitable places. I've schlepped on foot and bicycle through Alaska in the winter and Death Valley in the summer, and I'm still here, which is sort of the ultimate proof of process.

Every spring I see people pour onto the Front Range trails near the Secret Hidden Bunker totally unequipped to deal with what the mountains can roll out...rookie mistakes like the wrong clothing (in the high country, especially above the tree line, you can get all four seasons in a couple of hours); the wrong shoes; a casual attitude toward the mountain trails ("Hey, it's an easy walk-up!"), no basic survival gear (at the very least, a knife, a lighter/waterproof matches/firestarter paste, a "space" blanket and a whistle...a gun works for that loud noise thing, too) and a willingness to leave their basic awareness skills they use every day in the city behind. Every year, some of those rookies get to stay up here forever, and not in a good way.

THANKS FOR WATCHING! Next season, we'll go into more details for you!

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

1776 Rebel

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 11:30:08 AM »
Remember, at this point, you are in "Indian Country," and you need to rely on your every skill to get you home.

Does that mean it's ok to take some food back with you on the trek  to the trail head, ala  Jeremiah Johnston?

The Blackfoot planned to sell him to the Crow, his mortal enemies, for a handsome price. He was stripped to the waist, tied with leather thongs and put in a teepee with an inexperienced guard outside. Johnson managed to chew through the straps, then knocked out his young guard with a two-finger jab between the eyes, took his knife and scalped him, then quickly cut off one of his legs. He made his escape into the woods, and survived on the Blackfoot's leg until he reached the cabin of Del Gue.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 11:41:55 AM »
Great follow up post, Michael
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk