Author Topic: Episode 10: Safe In The Backcountry  (Read 28425 times)

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
Re: Episode 10: Safe In The Backcountry
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 11:50:54 AM »
Great follow up post, Michael

+10

MB keep us updated on when we can order Trail Safe.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

tombogan03884

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 11:56:01 AM »
+10

MB keep us updated on when we can order Trail Safe.

Ditto on that !   ;D

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 12:00:56 PM »
Worked for Jeremiah...biggest issue is having the right spices with you for "leg'o'miscreant"!

BTW, I've sort of defaulted to large-bore revolvers for backcountry carry. My favorites are the S&W Ultralites, such as the .44 Magnum 329 I used on the show and the 296/396 Ultralite .44 Specials or the Charter Arms Bulldog .44 (which, now that CT makes LaserGrips for it, moves up in my estimation).

Here's a caveat on the 19-ounce 329...it is a world class .44 Special revolver that will also shoot .44 Magnum loads, but BEWARE of heavy bullet loads (beyond 240 grains) in the 329 unless you disable the Rube Goldberg internal lock! Voice of experience speaking here!

Re: Crossdraws (and to an extent shoulder holsters), the dis'sing of crossdraws and shoulder holsters are good examples of how what might make perfect sense for LEOs and or for people shooting competitions can sometimes be incorrectly filtered into the mainstream. Crossdraws have been a popular alternative to the strongside holster since the Old West days and for pretty consistent reasons...they're a great holster when riding a horse (Old West reason #1) or a motorcycle/ATV (Modern reason #1) or driving (Modern reason #2) or if you may have to draw from a seated position (Modern reason #3), where a strongside draw might cause you to either move your legs or cant your body and telegraphy your move.

They are also chainsaw fast to access...in the early days of "combat" shooting we all used crossdraws, or a crossdraw set in the appendix position, because they were quick quick quick. Depending on the guns, crossdraws conceal pretty well, especially since the "experienced" eye goes to the person's strong (usually right) side looking for signs of concealed carry.

Finally, crossdraws do well carrying heavy guns, with the weight distributed a little more on the long access of the belt.

Crossdraws fell from favor with LEOs because they are much easier to snatch...you're presenting the butt of your pistol to a possible assailant. They fell out of favor (read, got banned) in competition because a crossdraw often resulted in "sweeping" either spectators or the person drawing or reholstering the gun. Secondly, modern techniques, including the punch-out draw stroke and firing from retention, are all built around the strongside holster. A draw from a crossdraw holster is a distinctly different animal than a strongside draw. Modern strongside draws have you rotating the barrel of the gun toward the target the moment the gun breaks out of the holster, giving you essentially a retention firing position; then the gun is punched out toward the target.

In a crossdraw (if I remember correctly), you'll be rotating your strong wrist toward vertical as you break the gun out of the holster and punch the gun toward the target. You can still fire during the transition, but you don't have as strong a retention position.

Lots of top cowboy shooters use a strongside and a crossdraw for their two pistols (the system I use)...to keep from breaking the 180 degree line there's a "crossdraw two-step" you see 'em do on the draw.

Ditto for shoulder holsters, which work great in their intended application. For winter hiking I will often go to an Uncle Mike's shoulder holster (fabric rather than leather, since there can be sweat buildup under winter shells), which can be accessed through the front vent zips of so-equipped shells. I like this because it allows me to "go to the gun" sooner...in the dead of winter what looks more normal than sticking your hands through the front vents of your jacket and tucking them into your armpits/

Finally finally, your backcountry carry method is going to totally depend on what other gear you are regularly carrying  —  backpacks, hydration packs, fanny packs, etc. Gear is a strictly personal choice, and there's about a billion variations, so it's hard to make any general recommendations!

Michael B, blathering on

Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

Davehd

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 02:40:09 PM »
Love the show!!  Just watched the episode about being safe in the back country, and as I live in the country I have to agree.  However, one salient point to make here - the lady in question, while absolutely no doubt that she was justified in shooting her attacker, will need a very good lawyer!  There are the remaining "witnesses" that will no doubt testify that they were just minding their business when this crazy woman came up on them, started yelling and then shot their best friend.  Unless these miscreants have some kind of criminal record, she's in a big heap of doo-doo.  IMHO, a less-than-lethal approach, or as you so wisely stated, avoidance, would be a much better option.  That is unless she's willing to shoot all 3 of them to death and leave no witnesses!!  :o   :-X  Just an observation.  Just as we should consider what's beyond the target, we need to keep in mind what will happen after the trigger is pulled, when the police are involved.  Adjudication after the fact can be very expensive and if not successful will see you kept confined with a lot more scumbags than you might think possible! Just because you are right doesn't make you right in the eyes of the court...

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 03:20:48 PM »
Loved seeing the revolvers. One thing great about them is if you are ambushed by a four legged predator you will be able to continue firing if the animal is on top of you. This comes in real handy in bear country. I do not go into a forest without at least having a .357 magnum or larger caliber revolver.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 03:15:24 PM »

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2009, 03:24:22 PM »
Reading Trail Safe now.  It seems strange to me in the Afterward that both the Publisher and Producer disavow themselves from the book's central topic.  Kind of a 'we don't think you should do this, but we this this should be discussed'.

Anything like this in the new edition?
We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2009, 03:49:54 PM »
Nope...although I LOVED that disclaimer! Gutless swine...it was one of their best selling books, too...

I cleaned up some of the language, too...that is, I took out the edits from Wilderness Press...

We're putting together a companion DVD for mid-summer on carrying a gun in the backcountry, an expansion of the TBD episode combined with some ideas from TRAIL SAFE on that whole decision tree thing. The DVD will go into depth about carry styles, gun and ammo selection, some trail-specific issues (like the whole idea of an armed retreat down a steep trail), concealaed vs. open carry...it should be pretty cool. Anytime I get to rant about revolver is fun...

Michael B

Luv2Shoot

• Active Forum Member
  • Join the NRA... Do it NOW...
    • NRA Link
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2009, 04:05:39 PM »
 ;D ;D Another excellent episode. When out in the wilderness I carry my Taurus Judge Magnum with a mixture of lead shot (#4) and buckshot (000) or (00).  ;D ;D
"Never hold in a fart. They travel up your spine into your brain and that's where crappy ideas come from..."

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2009, 04:32:14 PM »
When I do the DVD, the Taurus Judge will figure big time...I like the thing!

mb

JdePietro

• M14 Patterned Protagonist
  • Top Forum Member
  • "Neither Spare nor Dispose"
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2009, 04:43:47 PM »
Mr. Bane,

Excellent episode!!!

I could not believe my ears when you mentioned the Open Carry method on DR radio. When you said that is was a good idea on TV I almost fell over. It so great to hear someone of your stature finally say that OC has some merit and can be the best way to caary in certain circumstances.

I am sure there are people who will disagree and say "Its not tactical" or "That hurts our cause" blah blah. The fact that it is legal and is a great way to carry the best firearm for your own self defense vs only what you can shove in your pants is where it shines.

Thank you for an amazing line up of great and informative viewing.
How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.
-Henry David Thoreau

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk