Author Topic: Forever Armed - as a show?  (Read 4008 times)

metamurph

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Forever Armed - as a show?
« on: March 09, 2009, 06:07:26 PM »
Michael,

Just read through your article in American Handgunner: Personal Defense special issue.  Have you ever done or plan on a Best Defense that would cover this topic and basic techniques?  Also what kind of training would you suggest from this point?  My kids took Krav Maga for a while but my wife with a ball point pen at tihs point isn't going to be too effective...now with the Kimber OC much greater chance.

thanks,
tom

Michael Janich

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Forever Armed - as a show?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 10:23:17 AM »
Michael,

Just read through your article in American Handgunner: Personal Defense special issue.  Have you ever done or plan on a Best Defense that would cover this topic and basic techniques?  Also what kind of training would you suggest from this point?  My kids took Krav Maga for a while but my wife with a ball point pen at tihs point isn't going to be too effective...now with the Kimber OC much greater chance.

thanks,
tom

Dear Tom:

Thank you for the post and your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the article in the Handgunner: Personal Defense annual and that it "hit the mark" as far as your interest in the topic.

When we were planning season 1 of The Best Defense, Rob and I presented detailed outlines of all the stuff that we thought would be important to a well-balanced self-protection system. It included a lot of improvised weapon material, as well as the integration of weapons systems, i.e. offer an immediate response with an improvised weapon and use that to create an opportunity to transition to a purpose-designed weapon. In the process of shooting the show, we shot a number of segments that did address improvised weapons. Episode 1 discussed it in reasonablt detail and we also shot segments that taught the use of tactical flashlights as impact weapons and the use of the cane/hiking staff. Unfortunately, the time constraints of a half-hour format did not support the inclusion of those segments. Hopefully, we'll be able to work more of it into season 2.

The good news is that I have produced a dedicated instructional DVD on that very topic called--not surprisingly--"Forever Armed." It presents VERY thorough instruction in my entire program of improvised-weapon use and addresses the skills and concepts of employing one-handed weapons, two-handed weapons, projectile weapons, flexible weapons, shields, and hybrid/multi-function weapons. Just as importantly, it dispels many of the myths of improvised-weapon use and shatters many of the "MacGuyver" tricks that are taught in many self-defense programs. I produced this video with Stay Safe Media--the official source of my instructional materials--and I am very pleased with the way it turned out.

"Forever Armed" is available from Stay Safe Media www.staysafemedia.com. Here's a link to the specific page on that site:
http://www.staysafemedia.com/product.php?proid=76

Here's another link to a review of it on WarriorTalk: http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?p=674662#post674662

I hope this helps. Thanks again for your interest and support.

Stay safe,

Mike

metamurph

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Forever Armed - as a show?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 10:44:18 AM »
Excellent, thanks for the pointer, I saw the flashlight segment and will pick up the video.

tom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk