Author Topic: AR-15 bolt carrier key  (Read 13394 times)

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: AR-15 bolt carrier key
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 04:51:57 PM »
Bolt carrier key screws on my two Oly uppers are staked.
DesertMarine

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 07:00:20 PM »
I read the same article and wondered something I will ask here. What are you talking about ? In my experience as a Marine and NG unit armorer the "Bolt carrier key" is the T shaped pin that locks the bolt into the carrier body, it cams the bolt out and is held in place by a STRAIGHT cotter pin as it must be removed to dis assemble the bolt and carrier for cleaning.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 01:30:20 AM »
I read the same article and wondered something I will ask here. What are you talking about ? In my experience as a Marine and NG unit armorer the "Bolt carrier key" is the T shaped pin that locks the bolt into the carrier body, it cams the bolt out and is held in place by a STRAIGHT cotter pin as it must be removed to dis assemble the bolt and carrier for cleaning.

Tom, that's the bolt cam pin.

The bolt carrier key is the part on top of the carrier that fits around the gas tube and funnels the gas into the carrier.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 11:15:37 AM »
OK, Makes sense now  ;D

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 10:06:32 PM »
Well, like my friend just said after sending me an email but forgetting attach the picture... Oooopsie!
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:50:30 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 01:33:12 AM »
;D

JohnZ

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 07:35:21 AM »
It's not that the keys are merely staked, but that they're PROPERLY staked to mil-specs. The staking on a Bushmater is generally more superficial than, say, a Colt 6920. If they're not staked properly, they'll probably come loose at the worst time.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 06:19:50 PM »
The screws are only torqued down to 35 to 40 inch-pounds so staking is mandatory. I wish I could post pictures from my manual. I have a PDF version too but don't know how to save pictures from it. You need to use a center punch and stake around the edge of each screw 3 times. If you replace the key you're supposed to use new screws too.

I know a quick and dirty way that also works if you don't have a center punch, but it's not mil-spec. Just use a dull cold chisel and stake each screw going down at a 45 degree angle on the edges of the key. It's not pretty but as long as you don't raise the metal over .025" above the top it works. That's a field expedient method for emergencies that's not in any manual.

JohnZ

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 07:40:21 PM »
The screws are only torqued down to 35 to 40 inch-pounds so staking is mandatory. I wish I could post pictures from my manual. I have a PDF version too but don't know how to save pictures from it. You need to use a center punch and stake around the edge of each screw 3 times. If you replace the key you're supposed to use new screws too.

I know a quick and dirty way that also works if you don't have a center punch, but it's not mil-spec. Just use a dull cold chisel and stake each screw going down at a 45 degree angle on the edges of the key. It's not pretty but as long as you don't raise the metal over .025" above the top it works. That's a field expedient method for emergencies that's not in any manual.

One of my carriers came correct from the factory. The other one I just did with a hammer punch in a vise, looks OK but I haven't fired many rounds with it so I don't trust it yet. Chances are it'll be adequate.

I'm not positive, but I think C4IGrant on M4carbine.net said 60 -in pounds is what the screws are supposed to be at. Is posting links to other carbine forums OK here?

Sorta OT, but for the record, I don't think staking is rocket science; it just makes me wonder that if a manufacturer has poor enough QC to let crappy staking roll off their lines, then what else will slip through?  :-\

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 08:06:22 PM »
I got my information out of ARMY TM 9-1005-319-23&P and AIR FORCE TO 11 W3-5-5-42, which is all one manual and was up to date as of 1997. I haven't seen a newer version of this manual but it could possibly be out-dated. MARINE CORPS TM 05538C-23&P2 from 1984 says the same exact thing, 35-40 inch pounds, and the 1991 Army and Air Force manual, updated in 1997, is supposedly based on it. As I used to say when I was in the army... hey, it's good enough for government work.  ;D  I wouldn't torque it any tighter and risk stripping the threads unless I see a manual that reccomends higher torque.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk