Author Topic: Wounded Warrior Project = Anti-Firearms Industry  (Read 15009 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
Wounded Warrior Project = Anti-Firearms Industry
« on: November 13, 2012, 03:30:29 PM »
I've been following closely several exchanges on both Thunder Ranch and Tom Gresham's Gun Talk pages on FB about the Wounded Warrior Project. It seems that after much digging around, Mr. Gresham had indeed discovered the the WWP has a policy in place that deems it against their values to do business or participate with any entity involving firearms and the related industry.

The hypocritical thing is that WWP routinely accepts donations from the firearms industry, such a very large recent donation from Khar Arms......also, WWP only actually gives about 15% of every dollar donated to use for what it should be used for.

Below is an exchange between Tom Gresham and the WWP as posted on FB:

Wounded Warrior Project Email Exchange
  by Gun Talk on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 11:56am

After Sunday's show, we've gotten many emails about Tom's remarks after WWP declined an interview request on Gun Talk Radio because it's a firearms-related show. We've also seen the forums that are suggesting many things that are not true. So, I'm going to lay it all out right here.
We thought it would be great to book the WWP on the Veteran's Day show to promote the organization, so I contacted them. I was flabbergasted when their PR contact, Leslie, sent me an email saying they could not participate because our show dealt with firearms. Knowing that WWP has a booth at SHOT show and various gun shows across the US, takes wounded warriors on hunts and range days, raffles guns and accessories as fundraisers, etc., their policy didn't make much sense. I forwarded the email on to Tom to get his take.
-Sarah

The following is the complete email exchange:
====================
Hello, Leslie:
Sarah forwarded me your email after I asked her to invite the Wounded Warriors Project to join me on "Tom Gresham's Gun Talk" radio show.

I'm stunned at your email saying that the WWP doesn't participate in an interview or activity related to firearms.  Inasmuch as there are 90 million gun owners and most of them support wounded veterans, I think they would be shocked to hear that they are, by way of their hobbies, somehow not worthy of helping with the Wounded Warriors Project.

Does your policy apply also to police agencies and the military, since they are "related to firearms?"

I'm hoping that we have misunderstood your email.  Can you confirm that it is, in fact, an official policy of the Wounded Warriors Project to not do interviews with or participate in any activity related to firearms?

Thank you.
Tom Gresham

============

Good afternoon --

While we appreciate your interest in Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP) you are correct that we decline the media opportunity.

Please note the following notice that appears on our website which also applies to WWP public awareness policy and inquiries from media outlets:
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/additional-opportunities.aspx

WWP does not co-brand, create cause marketing campaigns or receive a percentage or a portion of proceeds from companies in which the product or message is sexual, political or religious in nature, or from alcohol or firearms companies.

Thank you for your inquiry.

LESLIE A. COLEMAN
 public relations director

O: 904.405.1433
 M: 904.654.8138
 F: 904.296.7347

Wounded Warrior Project
 4899 Belfort Road, Suite 300
 Jacksonville, Florida 32256

====================
Thanks for confirming that, Leslie.  It was a simple opportunity to promote the WWP on a national program in an effort to send donations your way.
 I'll pass along the info that you don't want or need the help of America's gun owners. 

Best regards,
 Tom Gresham

=====================

Good morning --
This policy is not a judgment on those who own and use firearms – clearly every member of our armed forces has been trained in the use of firearms and then called on to use them in the course of their service to this country.

Our position regarding firearms and alcohol is in response to the struggles that many injured service members face with substance abuse and suicide and the roles those items often play in those issues.

Thank you.
 LESLIE A. COLEMAN
 public relations director

=============================

Hello, Leslie:

Thank you for that explanation.

I do think -- and I'm being as kind as possible -- that it's the nuttiest thing I've heard in years. Suicides are not linked to firearms. Japan has a much higher rate of suicide than does the U.S., and they have essentially no firearms. Suicide is a serious issue irrespective of the methodology used. 

This explanation doesn't pass even the most simple "does this make sense" test.

Your policy does, in fact, brand firearms and the companies which make them as undesirables, and by association, you are saying that those who own and use firearms for recreation, hunting, self protection, and other safe and legal uses are to be avoided.

It's certainly your option to ostracize the firearms industry, the 90 million gun owners in America, and the media which support firearms safety training. 

At this point, I feel an obligation to make sure the millions who listen to my radio show and watch my two national television series know about your policy.

I cannot fully express how much I feel you are doing a disservice to our wounded veterans, and how disappointed I am to discover this bias at the Wounded Warriors Project.

Sincerely,
Tom Gresham

https://www.facebook.com/notes/gun-talk/wounded-warrior-project-email-exchange/10151354082553313

This from Thunder Ranch:

Official: Thunder Ranch will no longer be doing any fundraising for Wounded Warrior. This due to the main reason is they will do not want support from the guns period because guns are used by our military to kill themselves. What do they save themselves with? Nerf guns? Also the fact that very little of our money is actually getting to the families that need them. We will find charities in the coming months to help us all give but for now all money raised with our current DVD sale will go to our Seal team family... the Reece Petersen Trust fund. Thank you as always for your support. We will continue to do the best job we can to put as much money as we can to helping our military. Clint and Heidi

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thunder-Ranch/120548841302589

Here is a site that has info and ratings on different charities:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=531
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Wounded Warrior Project = Anti-Firearms Industry
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 04:35:21 PM »
The business about hopolophobia is just goofy and stupid.  The fact that only 15% of the donations go to help the vets is criminal.

If the percentages were reversed and they only kept the 15% it would only be disgraceful.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 04:49:05 PM »
Well, good!

I am glad somebody is catching on.

I will be back later with some screen shots of their tax returns.  What their execs get paid is insane!

RTFM

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life member 2015
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 05:41:30 PM »
GREAT find Peg - now everyone needs to copy this and paste it to every and any forums even remotely associated with firearms.

graywolf

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 07:29:42 PM »
Peg, thanks for the eye opener!  I have contacted the WWP and notified them to remove my name from their solicitation list.  I have heard a lot of great things about the work of the Gary Sinese Foundation.  Does anyone have any experience or background on this organization.  Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Hannibal ad portas  Hannibal is at the gates

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:46:33 PM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 07:50:39 PM »
Well, I always thought WWP was a good thing....at least what they were supposed to be doing was great...but they only did 15% of it and alienated the majority of the folks who would support Veterans to the greatest extent.

Reminds me of that magazine company a few months back that published an anti-gun statement....from a promising business to kaput in a couple of weeks.

The guys at the magazine and WWP seem to have the same question..   Where do I aim?  Half way between my toes and my ankle?
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

GeorgeCook

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 08:00:01 PM »
Just posted the link on my FB page to spread the word....I will never give them a dime!  >:(

curulz

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 09:16:17 PM »
The fact that they choose to distance themselves from firearms and alcohol business doesn't drive me away.

and TG got his answer, then intentially baited her by saying "you don't want or need help from gunowners".  This is out of line in my opinion. You don't like her answer, fine, don't support WWP.  They also stay away from religious programs as well.  Is anyone crying "I guess you don't want or need help from Catholics"  She even said that it wasn't an indictment or judgement, and gave the reasons why they took that route. 

There are alot of orginations I do not support because I disagree with some of their activities.  So don't support them if you don't agree their politics.  But to not support them because they didn't want to come on his show is a silly reason, and doesn't make them anti-firearms or anti-firearms industry.

and as a side note, I have no affiliation with the WWP.  But I was in training for 8 hours today and drove for another 6,so I'm just cranky!

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 09:22:17 PM »
The fact that they choose to distance themselves from firearms and alcohol business doesn't drive me away.

and TG got his answer, then intentially baited her by saying "you don't want or need help from gunowners".  This is out of line in my opinion. You don't like her answer, fine, don't support WWP.  They also stay away from religious programs as well.  Is anyone crying "I guess you don't want or need help from Catholics"  She even said that it wasn't an indictment or judgement, and gave the reasons why they took that route. 

There are alot of orginations I do not support because I disagree with some of their activities.  So don't support them if you don't agree their politics.  But to not support them because they didn't want to come on his show is a silly reason, and doesn't make them anti-firearms or anti-firearms industry.

and as a side note, I have no affiliation with the WWP.  But I was in training for 8 hours today and drove for another 6,so I'm just cranky!

You miss the point, they like us well enough when they are taking our donations .

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 10:42:33 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk