Author Topic: Videos of West Memphis cop killings:  (Read 11904 times)

cooptire

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Videos of West Memphis cop killings:
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 03:06:28 PM »
There is no one on this board (non LEO) who is more favorable to LEOs. Having said that, when I have been stopped and told the officer that I have a CCL, invariably they answer with don't do anything stupid and everything will be fine. I ALWAYS think to myself that if I was going to do something stupid, I WOUNDN'T tell him I'm carrying. And I WOUDLN'T give him time to find out. At the point I've told him I'm legal and carrying, I feel I've already proven that I'm LESS of a threat than the average person he stops that day. No non-family/friend/co-worker wants that officer to get home that night more than me if for no other reason that I never know when I might need their help.

I also feel that the weapon is MUCH safer in the holster than being handled by anyone, especially on the side of the road. And that goes for both mine AND his!

Lastly, may there not be another officer who has to give his or her life in the line of duty again! Probably too much to ask, but I'm asking anyway.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." Patrick Henry

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 04:14:52 PM »
There is no one on this board (non LEO) who is more favorable to LEOs. Having said that, when I have been stopped and told the officer that I have a CCL, invariably they answer with don't do anything stupid and everything will be fine. I ALWAYS think to myself that if I was going to do something stupid, I WOUNDN'T tell him I'm carrying. And I WOUDLN'T give him time to find out. At the point I've told him I'm legal and carrying, I feel I've already proven that I'm LESS of a threat than the average person he stops that day. No non-family/friend/co-worker wants that officer to get home that night more than me if for no other reason that I never know when I might need their help.

I also feel that the weapon is MUCH safer in the holster than being handled by anyone, especially on the side of the road. And that goes for both mine AND his!

Lastly, may there not be another officer who has to give his or her life in the line of duty again! Probably too much to ask, but I'm asking anyway.

All correct.

But by stupid, he might mean suddenly reaching down to scratch your leg or something.

I have my wallet out, window down and both hands on the wheel.  I don't want to give the officer any reason to be more on edge than they must be already.  As has been said here before, don't trust ANYONE.

I would also be very uncomfortable if he asked me to hand my my weapon.  Like I just said, don't trust ANYONE.  I don't want the car cam to show me reaching for and drawing my weapon.  If asked, I think I'd request permission to "assume the position" and have him remove the weapon.

I was pulled over for speeding on one occasion and the officer told me he use LASER for the reading.  I'd never seen a LASER gun and asked him if I could take a look at it.  He said ok and made a hand gesture and told me to come back to the cruiser. I got out of the car and his partner was on the shoulder behind my car with his weapon drawn to cover me while I sat in the driver's seat.  Wasn't offended and didn't feel threatened, but it did let me know how close I was to bad consequences had I sneezed or made a sudden hand movement.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

cooptire

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 05:13:22 PM »
All correct.

But by stupid, he might mean suddenly reaching down to scratch your leg or something.

I have my wallet out, window down and both hands on the wheel.  I don't want to give the officer any reason to be more on edge than they must be already.  As has been said here before, don't trust ANYONE.

Agreed, I also have my interior lights on when it is at dusk or later. The easier for the officer to see me and what's in the car, the better as far as I'm concerned.

I do have to wonder how to handle the officer who thinks he needs to fondle someone else's gun that is safely tucked away in a holster.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." Patrick Henry

bulldog75

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 05:37:08 PM »
The only time I have handled a CCW persons weapon was when he had a S&W 44 Mag sitting on the passengers seat. It had a 6 inch barrel and he stated that it was uncomfortable to drive with it on him. I asked him to get out and I unloaded it for him. All the rest that I have dealt with were told to keep hands on steering wheel and we are fine.
Citizens sleep peacfully at night knowing that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell

cooptire

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 01:19:37 PM »
The only time I have handled a CCW persons weapon was when he had a S&W 44 Mag sitting on the passengers seat. It had a 6 inch barrel and he stated that it was uncomfortable to drive with it on him. I asked him to get out and I unloaded it for him. All the rest that I have dealt with were told to keep hands on steering wheel and we are fine.

44 mag for a CCW!  :o  Damn, must be more of a man than I am in all respects. Hands on the wheel is the best policy for all.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 02:28:55 PM »

Plantados

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2010, 08:23:27 PM »
I have been pulled over for 8 mph over the speed limit (just not thinking about my speed) and rolled down all windows, turned on the dome light, had my DL, CCL and proof of insurance ready with hands on the wheel. Officer asked if I was packing at the time. I answered yes sir I am, he then asked where the weapon was. I told him and he said nothing else about that. He handed back my CCL, went to his car and wrote me a warning. He came back to me, handed me the warning, I thanked him, he told me to slow down and I said yes sir and have a safe day. There was no tension from either side that I could see. I appreciated him respecting my right to carry the same as he has the right to self protection and his freedom as an American. If I am not hiding anything and am honest and polite at the beginning of the situation, I can see no reason for him to think I am a danger to him. I have jumped through all the hoops the law says I have to in order to excercise my God given and constitutionaly recognized RIGHT to own and carry a weapon for defense of myself and/or others from all enemies whether civilian or government. Treat the Police with the same respect and professionalism you would like to have given to you, and most of them will treat you with the same. If I don't break the law, the police don't have to pull me over, so I shouldn't put myself in that situation. This video shows 2 unfortunate officers who lost control of a situation by not paying attention to all persons on the scene. Why did they pull them over to start with? Did they suspect them of something? If not, why did they get him out of the car? Why would this evil kid think he needed to kill these officers? It seems like they must have been suspected of something? This seems to be training video on how to do everything very unproffesional and haphazardly as possible on a traffic stop. I hope all officers learn that criminals are not the folks that are going to get a CCL and that we are not the enemy. I believe that if everyone would accept their responsibility to protect themselves then the majority of the criminals wouldn't be violating the rest of our rights. They would know there is consequences for their behavior. If they know there is a very good chance they will face a death sentence every single time they put someone else in danger, I believe there would be very few criminals. I pray no other officers will ever have to go through something like this, but until that happens, please be safe out there. This is a tragedy all the way around.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2010, 08:39:21 PM »
That pretty much sums it up, Plantados.

*Welcome to the forum.....wander over to the new member section and introduce yourself, if you are so inclined.  :D  :D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk