Author Topic: Tikka answer to Ruger Scout  (Read 23575 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
Re: Tikka answer to Ruger Scout
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 10:13:13 AM »
MVP is close but I think a 16.25 barrel is too short for a .308.

My best friend (who is a long-range competitor....he works and shoots with John Whidden, of Camp Perry fame) cut the barrel down to 16.5" on a Remington 700 just to see what it would do and the accuracy was still there out to nearly 600 yards. Of course he used hand loaded ammo to maximize powder burn for barrel length.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 12:11:39 PM »
I see a few MVP Predator models with an 18.5 barrel, but see none with fixed sights.

http://www.mossberg.com/rifle-calibers/762mm-nato-308-win

Googled for replacement barrels for the 16.5 in. MVP Patrol, but found none.

Also when you get the 18.5 you lose the threaded barrel.  As I said, close, but no cigar.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 12:14:53 PM »
Also when you get the 18.5 you lose the threaded barrel.  As I said, close, but no cigar.

There is no front sight on a Predator barrel.

I expect getting it threaded would not be a major task?
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 12:28:14 PM »
My best friend (who is a long-range competitor....he works and shoots with John Whidden, of Camp Perry fame) cut the barrel down to 16.5" on a Remington 700 just to see what it would do and the accuracy was still there out to nearly 600 yards. Of course he used hand loaded ammo to maximize powder burn for barrel length.

Yeah, from what (very little) I know it seems an 18" in .308 is about as short as you want to go to still get the most out of the (standard) round.

There is no front sight on a Predator barrel.

I expect getting it threaded would not be a major task?

It seems only the patrol has sights and as far as threading I suppose it would not be too big a deal, but why not have it from the get go?

To get even more picky I think the rail is too far to the rear.  Scout scopes are normally forward of the action more.  I don't think of the gun I would like as a 'sniper' so a nice 3 or 4 fixed scope well forward of the action, iron sights, top load capability (stripper clips if detachable magazine fed), bolt action.

I know "picky, picky!" :)
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

tombogan03884

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 01:17:59 PM »
On the subject of shorter barrels in .308.
In the American Rifleman article in Ruger's .308 AR they were talking about consistent hits at 1000 yards with a 16 inch barrel.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 12:40:11 PM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 02:09:40 PM »
Yeah, from what (very little) I know it seems an 18" in .308 is about as short as you want to go to still get the most out of the (standard) round.

It seems only the patrol has sights and as far as threading I suppose it would not be too big a deal, but why not have it from the get go?

To get even more picky I think the rail is too far to the rear.  Scout scopes are normally forward of the action more.  I don't think of the gun I would like as a 'sniper' so a nice 3 or 4 fixed scope well forward of the action, iron sights, top load capability (stripper clips if detachable magazine fed), bolt action.

I know "picky, picky!" :)

Nothing wrong with picky.  If you are gonna spend your money, you should be sure you get what you want. 

If you can find what you want, out of the box, at the price that works, great. 

But if not, you have two choices:   Wait till someone puts in a box, or:  see if there is a reasonable way to make what is in one of those boxes into what you want.

The 16.5" barrel might not be an issue.  I would have had it as a concern too, but posts here indicate it may not be.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

brushmore

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 03:30:56 PM »
I see a few MVP Predator models with an 18.5 barrel, but see none with fixed sights.

In general I am disappointed that so few bolt actions come with iron sights.  I plan on mounting a scope but still want to have the good old iron sights as a backup.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2014, 04:39:03 PM »
The problem with Mossberg's MVP series is the funky way the bolt strips the rounds from the magazine.  They didn't want to have to redesign the upper/frame to accommodate the AR15 magazines so they created this little drop down thingy.  They call it the "drop push" bolt.  A number of forums have reported difficulties.  It may not prove to be any problem at all long term, but I decided just to stay away from it.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2014, 07:30:44 PM »
The problem with Mossberg's MVP series is the funky way the bolt strips the rounds from the magazine.  They didn't want to have to redesign the upper/frame to accommodate the AR15 magazines so they created this little drop down thingy.  They call it the "drop push" bolt. A number of forums have reported difficulties.  It may not prove to be any problem at all long term, but I decided just to stay away from it.

Yep, noticed that. too.  I'd rather not be a test subject for an unnecessary modification of an integral part.

fatbaldguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Friends, don't let friends, shop Wal-Mart
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2014, 05:34:33 PM »
The accuracy of the Ruger Scout is good to 600 yds.  That's the longest range I've had access to.  I have a Leupold 1-4x20 mounted in the traditional manner. A shooter (not me) put 10 rnds in a pie plate at 600 in 27and a bit seconds.  He did use my rifle though, and three spotter shots.  My biggest issue with the 16 and a bit inch barrel is noise.  Damn a .308 is REALLY loud out of that short barrel.  I know I'll have the same issue from the Ruger SR762.  You won't have to remind me.  ;)
“It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.”

James Madison

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk