Author Topic: SIG556 vs Ruger SR556  (Read 19642 times)

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SIG556 vs Ruger SR556
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 07:05:49 PM »

Everything is AR compatible, except bolt assembly. There is no buffer spring, or buffer. The bolt doesn't work that way. However, a Sig spare parts kit is about $60-80. and will replace, mag release, safety, trigger, and bolt. It is built more like an AK than an AR.

Again, Keeping it simple.

I think I'm in love ! I think that settles it.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"If you know your enemy is bringing a gun to the fight, bring 2..."
http://www.youtube.com/natetinstman  -
Save $10 on your NRA membership by going to http://garand4life.wordpress.com

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 07:58:15 PM »
Sig!

du-uh . . .
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

ar15_xm15

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 09:31:13 AM »
I was considering both and researched them for a while. I found the deciding factor at a gun show.  The sig 556's saftey is placed to high for me to switch from fire to safe without twisting my wrist to the point where my finger would come off the trigger. My friend with me checked it out and had the same problem. That was just a pain in the ass so I bought the SIG. I have zero complaints with my SR-556.

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 03:22:03 PM »
The Sig will fully fire and function with the stock folded. I don't have any issue with the safety position but that's a personal, subjective issue. The red dot is made by Itac and labeled for sigs (same as their lasers and tac-lights) and is in my opinion the best sub $200 red dot on the market. I've also got one of the Itac dots ($79.95 at Botach) on my crossbow and my turkey gun so it stands up to all types of recoil. The Ruger is a nice rifle but I really prefer the Sig. If I bought a Ruger it would be the "C" version. I recently picked up the Sig 556 pistol and I plan to turn in a form 1 to SBR it. All you have to do is add the stock which is much cheaper than buying the rifle then changing the barrel out.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 08:01:02 PM »
And how about this - SIG 556R:

When I saw the rifle close up, I fell in love with it. Now I can't decide whether to get the Ruger GSR or this one.....So many choices, so little money....  :-\

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 11:45:24 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 880
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 08:04:25 PM »
I don't have either, but from what I read and hear I would go Sig.

Barrel twist - I have shot with and talked to a lot of long range shooters.  1 - 8" is a no brainer and noticeable to a shooter that cares enough to pay attention (that is the key part).  1 - 7" is only need by the fussiest and most demanding.  Most will never reach the level where that step is the key feature.  However, because of the type of shooting and how anal I can get over it I would take a 1 - 7" if it was available that easy!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 08:26:50 PM »
I don't have either, but from what I read and hear I would go Sig.

Barrel twist - I have shot with and talked to a lot of long range shooters.  1 - 8" is a no brainer and noticeable to a shooter that cares enough to pay attention (that is the key part).  1 - 7" is only need by the fussiest and most demanding.  Most will never reach the level where that step is the key feature.  However, because of the type of shooting and how anal I can get over it I would take a 1 - 7" if it was available that easy!
Here I agree with M58. I just don't think it should be the deciding factor if 55 grain is your ammo of choice. Between the two, the Sig seems the better deal. TW's revelation of the $60 non-spec parts replacement kit makes it almost a no brainer. The only other thing that hasn't been discussed is the Ruger's adjustable gas system. They have three options that will help you shoot even under dirty conditions. Is this feature really useful and does anyone have experience with it?
FQ13

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 08:31:22 PM »
I was considering both and researched them for a while. I found the deciding factor at a gun show.  The sig 556's saftey is placed to high for me to switch from fire to safe without twisting my wrist to the point where my finger would come off the trigger. My friend with me checked it out and had the same problem. That was just a pain in the ass so I bought the SIG. I have zero complaints with my SR-556.

The ambi safety is located well within the standard grip without having to remove my finger from the trigger.

safety ON and safety OFF
I have large hands so this might be an issue for you, however, as preciously posted, it is a personal choice and preference issue.

Also maybe you made a typo, as you "bought the Sig" and have zero complaints with your SR-556.

Just curious.

I still maintain both are fine rifles, what's better? A ZO6 Corvette? Or Dodge Viper? Both are performance machines designed for a purpose.  It's a personal choice, that I have great performance from my Sig.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 07:56:19 AM »
My only knock against the SIG is the sights.
They look like they were made by a kid in his first day of metalshop. Are the new rifles sights any better?
I know they are backup sights but at that price point, you shouldn't have to buy an optic with so many really good BUIS on the market for ARs.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 07:32:41 PM »
My only knock against the SIG is the sights.
They look like they were made by a kid in his first day of metalshop. Are the new rifles sights any better?
I know they are backup sights but at that price point, you shouldn't have to buy an optic with so many really good BUIS on the market for ARs.

As a Sig owner, I totally agree, the rear sight is flip up, (if you have long fingernails), as it's recessed into the top rail. It requires a phillips head screwdriver to "adjust". The front sight is equivalent to a flat head Craftsman screwdriver, chopped off and put on a fold down swivel.

Yes, the factory sights suck. However, it does nothing but shine with any optic, and bravocompany sells the offset 1:00 BUIS with "glow" if wanted, that is 10 times better for $30.

It's a great rifle, the priority was in the rotating AK bolt, that is uber simple and reliable, the 2 stage trigger, and adjustable gas operating system.

They kinda gave the iron sights a back seat, but it does not take away from the performance.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk