Author Topic: Favorite Recipes  (Read 53185 times)

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Favorite Recipes
« Reply #150 on: June 05, 2009, 11:59:22 AM »
I can see the Down Range Cook Book coming up.

Big +1 on that one!
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

MinotBob

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #151 on: June 09, 2009, 12:47:28 AM »
Pray for Obama. Psalm 109:8

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: June 09, 2009, 06:20:33 AM »
World's (or at least Texas') Best Semi-Cheater BBQ Ribs

While I am normally morally opposed to anything calling itself BBQ that is not cooked low and slow over hard wood for a minimum of 4 hours, sometimes excellence makes you make an exception. I have spent many an hour slaving over a grill or smoker, and these puppies are in the top three for about half of the work. It pisses me off, but they are just darn good. ;D

2 racks baby back ribs, skin peeled off the back

Rib Rub
2 Tb. each
Kosher salt
black pepper (a bit less here)
ancho chile powder (Note: do not use generic chile powder as it contains cumin and all sorts of garbage. Get pure chile powder, available at a decent grocer or on line for cheap. This is not the place to skimp.)
1 Tb.
garlic power
papirka
Combine and rub generously on the ribs

Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees (and yes, I feel my soul shriveling as I type this, but it really works).
Put ribs on a baking sheet and cover tightly with foil. You want to make sure no steam escapes, so crimp that foil on tight.
cook for 1 1/2 to2 hours, if the meat has pulled away from the bone, even a little bit, you're ready to hit the grill

Prepare a grill. I prefer gas with hickory chips, or go hard core and use hardwood from the get go. Either way, you want a nice smoky 300-400 degree grill.
slather the ribs with sauce (recipie to follow) and place sauce side down OFF the heat. This is why I prefer gas, you can have the front burner going and the rear off.  You might want to move them over the flame for a bit to brown the sauce, but do not let it burn.  
Let cook for 1/2 hour or until the ribs are floppy when picked up with tongs, the meat has pulled completly away from the bone or when temp reads 140 degrees,or whatever your chosen method is. Basically, the ribs are on the grill to get a smoke bath and carmelize, but not burn, the sauce. Plan accordingly.

BBQ Sauce

This is the key ingrediant, next to the rub. Either make it,or scrap the whole thng. Bullseye will not substitute.

1/4 cup onion, diced
1 Tb garlic,minced (Added just before the onions are done. Garli burns easily and under cooked is better than burned. Eyeball it).
2 canned chipoltles in adobo, minced
Put in a  sauce pan and sweat over medium low, when onions are translucent, add remaining ingredients

1 bottle dark beer, shiner bock is ideal but negro modelo or other bock beer even the Miller stuff, wiil work, just don't use something strong or sweet like a Guiness or Bass, use a Bud instead, but only if you have to
1/2 cup apple cider
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
 1 Tb worcertershire sauce
1 Tb powderd mustard(Coleman's works best)
1/2 tsp  ground celery seed (you can lose this if you don't have it)

Add these ingredients when the onions are ready. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce to to two cups.
Add 1 Tb fresh lemon juice and apply to ribs before putting them on the grill.

THis is a "cheater" recipie, but darn if it isn't good.
FQ13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk