Author Topic: Favorite Recipes  (Read 53186 times)

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Favorite Recipes
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 12:03:52 PM »
Garlic is NOT "NICE"...........................It is MANDATORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ;D

You are preaching to the choir, Haz. I'm Italian..... They put garlic in my baby bottle!  ;D
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 01:37:38 PM »
Okay guys.. One of my favorite subjects... And I am so proud of you who cook real food and enjoy doing it!
Time to brag........ ;)
I happen to be one of  THE best cook in all of this county ( that's a fact) and I have taught my boys that forgotten art.
 I do not take shortcuts..and I think you can cook anything and everything by scratch a whole lot cheaper than you can buy it pre-made.
( Not that I don't eat at Popeye's and all those wonderful places..I do.. and I love 'em... ) but I also love to cook the old fashioned way.
 I process all of our wild game meat and use it as much as we can. We also butcher our own beef and hog every year.. so I know for a fact that it isn't full of crappy additives.
That said.. I can vouch first hand at the recipes that you all are posting. They are very very good.... ( Even though I HATE cooked carrots and celery ) I do use them on occasion when I cook for others.

I sometimes take a recipe from someone and add and take away and invent my own. I don't use measurements . I go by sight and feel.. ***SHUT UP HAZ  :-X.. we are talking about cooking**** so when I post I will do my best to put in amounts. I have lots of recipes that are unique ...but I share them all. A good recipe that is really good..family secret or not... should be shared.  Keep it a secret form your family until you die if you want.. but for the love of all that surrounds our taste buds..share it with us.. ***We won't tell***  :-X

This is a great thread.. keep those recipes coming guys.. I love it.

I'll post later some of my favorites that you all can make. ..

"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 02:11:13 PM »
A good recipe that is really good..family secret or not... should be shared.  Keep it a secret form your family until you die if you want.. but for the love of all that surrounds our taste buds..share it with us.. ***We won't tell***  :-X

Honestly I cant..... I would be shunned from the family.

The problem is that I have access to a wealth of world class million dollar recipes that no one has yet to figure out how to make any money on. If someone else beat us to the punch on that, I would be literally kicked out of the family.

But here are the dishes that I will not share the recipes for:

Baked Ziti
Lasagna
Pizza Dough
Spaghetti sauce (or as we Italians like to call it, Gravy)
Chicken pasta (2 Kinds)
Fajitas
Potato Salad
Coleslaw
Pulled Pork BBQ
Cube Streak
Chicken Salad
Pimento Cheese
Chicken Pot Pie
Shrimp and Grits
Mac & Cheese
Steak Seasoning
Hawaiian Chicken
Beef Stroganoff
Creamed chicken
Several kinds of Salad Dressings
Several dips
And too many desserts to list

"NO SOUP FOR YOU!"

Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1060
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 02:19:55 PM »
Here's one we had last night...I save it for when I feel like the blood has just been flyin' through my arteries, unobstructed.

Take 6 to 8 boneless pork chops, about 3/4" thick.
Place in a large skillet with a 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 stick of melted butter.
Dust lightly with powdered garlic or mince a fresh clove of garlic (your choice)
Dust with powdered onion or use 1/2 a finely diced fresh onion.
Salt and Pepper also dusted lightly or to your normal taste (if you cook a lot, you know how much you like).
1 Tablespoon of Sweet Basil sprinkled lightly over chops.
1 Teaspoon of Cilantro sprinkled over chops.

Cook chops on med-high heat until starting to brown and then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until done.

While chops are simmering, cook a medium sized pot of rice (what you normally cook for a meal) until done (salt and butter to taste).

Remove chops from pan, but leave the grease/oil.
Mix 2 tablespoons of plain flour into a cup of cold water and stir until there are no lumps.
Pour into frying pan with the grease and stir until mixed thoroughly, now producing gravy.

Now, put the rice in a large crockpot.
Place the pork chops on top of the rice.
Pour the gravy mixture over the chops/rice and set on low for several hours to let the flavors mix into the rice.

Yum, Yum...Enjoy. :D

Also works with chicken, tenderloin, roast beef...etc.
If you don't have a crockpot, you can use a baking dish or roasting pan in the oven. Just cover and set the temp on low (200).

8)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 02:28:20 PM »
Oh my gosh Peg Leg.. That is one of my pork chop recipes that I also use... I use a stick of real  butter and a big glob of bacon grease to fry them in.
 I have used real cream (instead of water)  to make the gravy too.. and that is really good also ..

I make hot buttermilk biscuits to go on the side..and you ae right.. It is awesome..

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 08:14:23 PM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1060
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 02:35:58 PM »
Oh my gosh Peg Leg.. That is one of my pork chop recipes that I also use... I use a stick of real  butter and a big glob of bacon grease to fry them in.
 I have used real cream (instead of water)  to make the gravy too.. and that is really good also ..

I make hot buttermilk biscuits to go on the side..and you ae right.. It is awesome..

This is one of our family's favorites.
My wife handles the biscuits (hers are better than mine) and I handle the cornbread (love cornbread and blackeyed peas).
People have been known to fight over her biscuits and homemade blackberry jelly.

Just goes to show you, no matter where you are in this great country, good people know good food... :D :D :D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 02:53:25 PM »
Old World Sauer-Braten

1-1/2 cup water total
1-1/4 cup cider vinegar total
2 large onions, sliced - divided
1 med lemon, sliced
15 whole cloves, divided
6 bay leaves, divided
6 whole peppercorns
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1 beef sirlion tip roast or round roast, 3lb cut in half
1/4 tsp pepper
12 gingersnap cookies, crumbled

In  a large resealable plastic bag combine 1 cup water, 1 cup apple cider vinegar, 1 sliced onion, 1 sliced lemon, 10 cloves, four bay leaves, 6 whole peppercorns, 2 tbsp sugar, and 2 tsp salt. Mix well. Add roast. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate at least overnight, turning occasionally.

Drain and discard marinade. Place roast in slow cooker, add pepper and 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup vinegar, 1 sliced onion, 5 cloves, 2 bay leaves. Cover, cook on low 6-8 hrs or until meat is tender.  Remove roast and keep warm.  Discard bay leaves. Stir in gingersnaps, cover and cook on high 10-15 minutes or until thickened.

Slice roast and serve with gravy.

Sides: Egg noodles or spaetzle; pickled red cabbage or beets.

I also have a quicker recipe for sauerbraten available.
Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 03:37:49 PM »

"NO SOUP FOR YOU!"

Now you did it. 

Soup Nazi's Indian Mulligatawney Soup

You're finished, Soup Nazi!   NEXT!

Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 03:42:24 PM »
One more:

CRISPY GREEN BEAN FRIES
WITH WASABI CUCUMBER RANCH DIP
(TGI Friday's copycat recipe)

FOR THE WASABI CUCUMBER RANCH DIP:
1/2 cup bottled ranch dressing (Hidden Valley is best)
1/4 cup cucumbers, peeled, seeded, minced
1 tablespoon milk
1 1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon wasabi powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 pinch cayenne pepper
FOR THE GREEN BEANS:
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
6 to 8 ounces fresh green beans
1 cup flour
1 cup plain breadcrumbs or seasoned dry bread crumbs
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
vegetable shortening or vegetable oil (for frying)

TO PREPARE THE DIP:
Combine dip ingredients in blender. Blend until smooth. Place in bowl; cover and chill till ready to use. Dip will thicken as it chills.

TO PREPARE THE BEANS:
Place beans in the broth. Bring to a boil and cook 15 minutes, then place in cold water to stop cooking process.

Mix beaten egg with milk in a shallow bowl. Measure 1 cup of flour into another shallow bowl. Combine bread crumbs, 3/4 teaspoons salt, black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder into a third bowl.

Take a handful of beans out of the water and shake off excess liquid. Coat the beans with the flour, shaking to remove excess flour. Dip the beans, one at a time, into egg/milk mixture, then dip in breadcrumb mixture. Place the beans on a plate until all are coated.

Heat the shortening or oil to 350 degrees F in a heavy skillet (or use deep fryer). Use enough to cover the beans, about 1 1/2 inches. Fry until golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

TO SERVE:
Place on a large platter and serve with the wasabi cucumber ranch dip.

Servings: 4

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2008, 04:40:59 PM »
Here is a rice recipe that is delicious. Every time I take it anywhere I get ask for the recipe..It is easy to make.
 I'll try to figure out "measurements.. "

( double /triple if cooking for a crowd)

1 box Uncle Bens Long Grain White & Wild Rice Original
(Cook as Box Says)

*in a  large skillet* mix together and saute:
1/2 stick of butter or margarine
1/4 cup fine chopped green onion ( add part of the green tops too)
1/4 cup fine chopped green pepper
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms ( optional)

Dump in the cooked rice

*add*
1/2 pint of Half & half
1/2#  Velvetta Cheese

Bake 30 minutes uncovered  at 350 degrees. Let set about 5 minutes before serving.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk