Author Topic: Indiana: A Layer Of Concealment Goes Away For Permit Holders  (Read 1919 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Indiana: A Layer Of Concealment Goes Away For Permit Holders
« on: December 16, 2009, 07:49:01 PM »
Could this be another "anti" tactic? Click on a liberal run database, and see ALL the CCW permit holders in the state.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5230

Bloomington, Indiana Herald-Times Treats Law-Abiding Gun Owners like Registered Sex Offenders!

Tuesday, December 01, 2009

On November 30, 2009, the Bloomington Herald-Times made the following announcement:

“This week, HeraldTimesOnline.com will launch its new gun permit database. You’ll be able to search gun permit records by county, city or town and street."

The Herald-Times has begun receiving calls and emails, and their response is a defiant defense of their online gun permit database.

Anyone who visits the newspaper website will be able to search the number of permits on a given street or neighborhood. Although at this point the names and house numbers are not listed, the newspaper’s website treats law-abiding Indiana gun owners like sex offenders on a searchable database.

It is NRA's firm belief that there is no public good served by the publishing or cataloguing private citizens’ gun ownership information, and that more harm is done by such an action. Law-abiding Hoosiers should not be subjected to the same treatment as sex offenders, and if the newspaper won’t listen to their constituents and customers, then NRA Members and Indiana gun owners should send a financial message by cancelling their subscriptions to the Bloomington Herald-Times.

Please contact the Bloomington Herald-Times to respectfully voice your displeasure at the irresponsible action the newspaper has made.

Scott Schurz, Sunday Hoosier Times/Editor-in-Chief
(812) 331-4250
Sschurz@heraldt.com

E. Mayer Maloney Jr., Publisher
(812) 331-4251
Mmaloney@heraldt.com

Bob Zaltsberg, Editor
(812) 331-4364
rzaltsberg@heraldt.com

Great! >:( now folks can type in their address and see ALL the permit holders in their neighborhood. I'm sure criminal elements will love it, stake out your home know when your gone, and know their are guns in the house.

Which is in the Top 2 items stolen during home break-ins...

WTF?
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

devzal

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Indiana: A Layer Of Concealment Goes Away For Permit Holders
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 09:02:29 PM »
The fun never stops, I wonder if they considered that criminals may use this to target the unarmed people or lightly armed neighborhoods.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 09:17:59 PM »
Having survived the Hoosier state (no offense Ping) I will never understand it. Until "08 it was a rock ribbed Republican state. Yet it had the highest taxes I've ever encountered in any state I've lived in, sales tax, AND state AND county income taxes, AND a tax on the value of your vehicle when you register it for the first three years, AND (this one blows my mind) a tax on businesses for UNSOLD inventory. Depite this it was still 46th in the nation for SAT scores. I have no idea what goes on in Indianapolis, but as far as I'm concerned Peyton Manning, Orville Redenbocker and Governor Morris are all the state has going for it. This is the last straw.
FQ13 who is happier and warmer in Fl.

JSC3ATLCSO

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 09:23:43 PM »
We don't have a website but we do have the next best thing.  The Des Moines Register annually requests the list of CCW permit holders of all 99 Counties and they publish the list.  The county I use to work for found out what had to be on the permit and only included that on the list.  Name, City and DOB.  Otherwise if it is on there it is Public Knowledge.  Freedom of Information Act is the worst thing that has ever been inacted.  It was intended to keep people from being corrupt but news papers and activist groups have taken it too far with crap like this.  Corrupt people are still corrupt (monitored or not) and Criminals are still criminals (monitored or not)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 09:34:37 PM »
We don't have a website but we do have the next best thing.  The Des Moines Register annually requests the list of CCW permit holders of all 99 Counties and they publish the list.  The county I use to work for found out what had to be on the permit and only included that on the list.  Name, City and DOB.  Otherwise if it is on there it is Public Knowledge.  Freedom of Information Act is the worst thing that has ever been inacted.  It was intended to keep people from being corrupt but news papers and activist groups have taken it too far with crap like this.  Corrupt people are still corrupt (monitored or not) and Criminals are still criminals (monitored or not)
JSC
You are a bit off here. FOIA is great thing. It is the only way we, the people, can get access to government budgets, meeting minutes, policy outlines etc. There's no way government wouldn't classify everything if they could get away with it. The problem is when it extends to private citizens getting government benefits. Not just a CCW either. What about who is on anti-deppressants via medicare? Who got denied a student loan due to a drug bust  in high school? Who has a restriction from DMV etc? There is a line betwen watching civil servants and regular folk and In. and apparently Ia. have crossed it.
FQ13

Sponsor

CJS3

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 10:49:17 PM »
Seems to me that the best way to combat this threat, is for Indiana gun owners to boycott businesses that advertise in the Bloomington paper. See how strong their defiance is after that.
Children, pets, and slaves are taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 11:53:29 PM »
MB addressed this in his pod cast, Google the station personnel and publish THEIR personal information.
Address, Home phone# etc. See how THEY like it.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 06:18:19 AM »
I got my CCW fairly early in the process and had my name and address and etc. listed in a web site of the Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper.  Sorta felt violated but hasn't been a problem.....yet!

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

pequin06

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 06:27:42 AM »
I've been following this on the Gun Nuts Media blog.

Was on Fox News a day or two ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8HJsAa79rk
Funny thing is the newspaper that is publishing the information really can't back up or be honest on why they are publishing the information.
The newspaper says it's not about gun control, so why is The Brady Campaign speaking for the newspaper on Fox News?

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 907
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 09:42:47 AM »
The newspaper is doing a public service by reading the list and finding people with criminal backgrounds that have guns:

#1.  Are thes criminal backgrounds convictions for disqualifying crimes, or are they unrelated to gun background checks, or are they arrests with no convictions?

#2.  Great!  They are preforming a public service and overseeing the system.  However, please explain to me how publishing the raw data in a data base relate to preforming that service.  Why aren't they publishing the list of the errors they have found where someone's permit has been revolked?  Or better yet, why don't they print the number of people (not names) that have wrongly been denied a permit?

#3.  If the newspaper is concerned with transperancy, why don't they explain to us that this is something that they are doing completely on their own with no prodding or assistance by any outside group?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk