Author Topic: what to do when the police come?  (Read 9638 times)

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 85
Re: what to do when the police come?
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 08:01:19 PM »
OK, so it's been a busy weekend for me. First the RSO class yesterday, and today a Utah CCW class so I can (eventually, when I get it in the mail) have a permit to carry in MN. Apparently MN is still fighting some 30+ year old fish and border war with ND and refuses to recognize ND's permit, even though they will recognize the permit from any state as long as there is reciprocity.

But I digress. The instructor today told us a bunch of stuff today on this. Here's what I remember.

Basically - say nothing. Yes you will get cuffed and probably arrested. But, and he emphasized this (BTW, he is a retired lawyer and does do a lot of work with state police and other permitting authorities like Utah's BCI) that the one thing you will not control is the adrenaline rush and dump. Cops are even trained to wait a short time - say 10-30 minutes after they arrive - to leave you alone so the dump happens at which point you will even talk about your mother. You will not be able to stop.

Two things to remember -

1. In an officer involved shooting, the policy, procedure or union demand (it is the policy (IIRC) of the US Assoc. of Police Chiefs) is to let the officer have 24 hours before he makes a statement. If the officer gets to, why not the civilian?

2. There is a book by someone named Reid that basically outlines how to get people to talk (
http://www.amazon.com/Criminal-Interrogation-Confessions-Fred-Inbau/dp/0763747211). Not confess, just get them talking. Once talking, the rest comes easily. Silly things, like posting a picture of someone famous with the interrogating officer (example, Jennifer Aniston smooching a smiling police sergeant - easy to do with Photoshop these days). Hey, I would ask WTF? Also tougher things that force you to respond viscerally and/or emotionally.

Since police can lie to you (e.g. telling you that someone else made a damning statement about your actions - even tho no such statement was made), and you absolutely, positively cannot even fudge anything (or you go to jail for lying during the investigation), it behooves you to remain silent as much as possible. When they tell you - as they must if you are a suspect - that anything you say can and will be used against you - Believe Them!. It will.

From the lawyer, limit the on-scene statement to -

1. This BG attacked me
2. I was in fear for my life
3. I want my lawyer (or words to that effect)

Do not volunteer witnesses either unless they were standing right next to you and could hear and see what you heard and saw. And maybe not even then. Tell your lawyer (said the lawyer), though.

Exception to the no talking rule - If the BG had a weapon and was able to throw it away, tell the cops where it went.

That's what he told us today about this.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: what to do when the police come?
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 10:34:38 AM »
."Officer, I'm the complainant.  I will file a formal complaint.  This guy did x,y,and z."

Thanks, Saltydog.. I forgot that part in my first post... Another important piece!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk