Author Topic: advice/how-to: 1911 standard safety and weak-hand draw  (Read 4102 times)

mjkelly

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
advice/how-to: 1911 standard safety and weak-hand draw
« on: March 06, 2010, 02:00:24 PM »
Hello DRTV forum members.  First post in this forum.

I am wondering what a/the proper technique is for a weak-hand draw with a standard 1911A1 pistol (like a Springfield Mil-Spec, Kimber Custom II, etc.) with the standard left side safety.  Consider this from the perspective of a strong-side (right side, in my case) concealed (IWB or OWB) carry.  How does one properly, safely, and (relatively) quickly draw with the weak hand under circumstances where the strong hand is either injured or otherwise occupied.

Of course, one obvious solution is to add an ambidextrous safety, and I am not ruling that option out.  However, if there is a good technique that can make use of the original design of the pistol, I think that would be worth knowing.

Regards,
Mike Kelly

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: advice/how-to: 1911 standard safety and weak-hand draw
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 02:26:36 PM »
Mike, We used to do this a lot in the old days, 1st the holster choice must give a solid grip from the weak hand, usually behind the strong hip. You don't want to be 2 fingering the thing out. A full grip on the pistol. Draw from behind the  back of course and when the pistol is coming around ( careful not to point at any body parts ) towards the target, use either your weak index finger or your weak thumb to wipe the safety, small hands make it tough with the index, but the thumb wipe, means you don't have a full grip for a second, so keep the index finger out off the trigger until you have achieved a full grip again. Practice with an empty pistol with no ammo or mags  around, until you get comfortable.

Good luck.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk